Expeditions West: June New Mexico and Colorado Adventure

Scott Brady

Founder
From June 15-27th, I will be traveling to New Mexico and Colorado, with a possible trip into the extreme western side of Kansas. This trip is meant to satisfy the explorer and conqueror in me. I would love to have travel companions along the way too!

June 15: Drive from Prescott to Taos NM

June 16: Start of the climb up Wheeler Peak, NM. This 13,161 foot tall mountain is a 6.2 mile climb with 3,250' of elevation gain. As a "High Point", it is the eighth tallest in the 50 states, and ranked 12 for difficulty.

June 17: Drive from Wheelers to Oklahoma, and the remote Black Mesa area, where is will make the quick scramble up to Oklahoma's high point (4,973). Camp somewhere in the area, or find other interesting things to explore.

June 18: Drive through the Cimarron Grasslands north to Mount Sunflower, Kansas (4,039) for the quick check off the list. Head back into Colorado on I70 to 86, and search for a remote spot to camp. Hopefully in the mountains a bit.

June 19: Into Colorado Springs, where I will be attending a Higher Education Technology Conference for the 19th, 20th, 21st and 22nd. Drive to the Denver area late the night of the 22nd.

June 23: Visit Slee Off-Road and hopefully my buds from Pangaea.

June 24: Trail Day in CO :jumping: Something moderately challenging and scenic

June 25: Drive to Mount Elbert and check out Leadville. On up to Lilly Pond via 4wd track and make base camp.

June 26: Wake early and make a quick assault on the mountain, climbing the nearly 5,000 vertical feet to the summit. Back to camp and probably head into Leadville for a good meal and motel.

June 27: Drive back to Prescott

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
We have a family cabin in Evergreen, so may be up there during that timeframe. Post back here if any of your dates change. That's my old stomping grounds so I know a plethora of high-alpine trails if you're interested in meeting up and we happen to be up there.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
June 23: Visit Slee Off-Road and hopefully my buds from Pangaea.

June 24: Trail Day in CO :jumping: Something moderately challenging and scenic

June 25: Drive to Mount Elbert and check out Leadville. On up to Lilly Pond via 4wd track and make base camp.

I don't know too many trails, but what about Red Cone? From what I understand it is not the most challenging trail around (stock trucks are no problem), but it is beautiful, in its own way. I think Darren has pictures and a trail report on his site. It starts not too far from Slee and ends up near Leadville. Take some pictures of Taos, I've never seen it in the summer.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Scott, I may be somewhere along the front range of Colorado visiting family (which means I will be looking for an excuse to bug out for a day or three). I'm not sure of the time frame when I'll be there....we'll have to wait and see. Slee's shop is just a couple of blocks from my grandparents house...so our paths may cross.

If you can find time for a overnight pack trip, I know of a killer spot down in the San Juan Wilderness area (yea, like there are any shortage of killer campsites down there!). The whole area is simply stunning. You'll be missing out if you don't check out the San Juan's. Are you sure you don't want to make it a 3 or 4 week trip?:D

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I'll be out of the country for the NM portion of your trip, but I might come up to CO on the 24-26. I'd be up for a climb on Elbert.

Regarding the Wheeler Peak hike. There are two trails, the Bull of the Woods Trail and the Williams Lake Trail. Sounds like you are doing the lake trail based on the distance you quoted. The Bull of the Woods trail is 8 miles one-way and I recommend it over the lake trail. It's more of a gradual climb, but you have 4 false ridges toward the end that really suck. I hiked it in 2003 and it was a bear of a hike. The Williams Lake trail is very pretty and short and takes you to the lake at the base of the peak. I've hiked this trail several times, but never up to the peak. From the lake you have to hike straight up talus, no trail, very loose rock for 2000 ft. Like I said, I recommend the longer trail.

I attached a few pictures from my hike to Wheeler Peak in 03 to get you motivated. I'm surprised my fat ****** made it! It is the highest point in NM and well worth the effort. You will see big horn sheep too.

You also might want to stay in Taos that night, A) you will be tired as hell, the hike is harder thaan you think and B) Taos is a great town!

Scott Brady

Founder
Chuck,

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. This trip is the kick-off for me getting into "human" dependent expedition condition. I have a few interesting adventures in the works for fall 06 and next year.

pangaea

Adventurer
Scott,

If you want, I'd love to hit the trails with you guys on the 24th. There are some neat moderate trails up near Red Cone that we could hit, then finish off with Mosquito Pass (if its open) which would take us into Leadville. The trails around Leadville aren't too terribly challenging, but there's some neat mining history in the area with lots of artifacts.

There are a few neat camping areas right there, which would put you in a good spot to tackle Elbert the following day.

pangaea

Adventurer
Just a little teaser... An ore house from the late 1800s on the west side of Mosquito Gulch.

OreHouse.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier