Expensive and time consuming Expo Rig

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
Who says you need to spend lots of money and endless amount of time making your Expo Rig trail ready?100_0504.JPG

Attachments

• 100_0504.JPG
    100_0504.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 858

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
You know I have traveled all over central and south amercia and I know plenty of other people here who have ventured into the great unknown...
It is no longer amazing to me when I see a Datsun B210, Lada, or some other small sedan going on tracks and into places that we feel req at least a mild rig....
Sure they get stuck, sure they often have to wait for a tug, but they go and go and go again.
I give more credit to those who pack up and run with what they have than I do all the drive-way-roamers who's rigs never venture far from home.

Cool reminder that we don't have to go crazy with the builds...we just need to get up and go.

Sport-Trac 01

Adventurer
Yeah, about that...
I see stuff like that alot in my line of work. Cars that look like that are always a pain when they end up in wrecks. So much clean-up and flying debris...

BiG BoB

Adventurer
Here in aust it's not uncommon to see heaps of overcapitalised Landcruisers, Patrols, etc travelling out in the bush. Also not uncommon to see 20 year old Ford Falcon sedans on the same tracks on their way back to the indigenous community's from town.

A work collegue of my father found out that I'm in the exploration industry, and started asking him about what sorts of mods we make to make our vehicles go "everywhere".

He was shocked to learn that its normally just a bull bar, and an undertray water tank in most 79 series cruisers. He was of course imagining monster lifts, power upgrades, winches, diff locks etc. With careful driving most of that equipment is seldom needed.

Sean

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
You know I have traveled all over central and south amercia and I know plenty of other people here who have ventured into the great unknown...
It is no longer amazing to me when I see a Datsun B210, Lada, or some other small sedan going on tracks and into places that we feel req at least a mild rig....
Sure they get stuck, sure they often have to wait for a tug, but they go and go and go again.
I give more credit to those who pack up and run with what they have than I do all the drive-way-roamers who's rigs never venture far from home.

Cool reminder that we don't have to go crazy with the builds...we just need to get up and go.
Agreed, I used to "wheel" my 89 VW FOX. Granted I lifted, LSD'd, and Rallye Tire'd it, but still, it was a FWD CAR!!!

Loved every minute of it.

Cheers

Dave

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I went to Mosport last summer, and there you still get to drive anywhere around the track you want and set up camp. I drove up this steep hill thinking it would be a great spot with no crowds and a great view. I put it in low and locked the center diff and drove up... only to see it was crowded with lots of American trucks and... several FWD cars. I still don't really know how they made it up, like physically... how did they do it?

Also up near my cottage in Quebec, the locals take their beater fwd cars on all the logging roads. Sure, they're *capable* of doing it, but I would never subject my cars to such treatment.

And then one day, I was on one of those logging roads, and came upon an old Dodge minivan stopped on the side of the road... and the entire rear axle assembly was about 50 feet behind it. And there you go.

efuentes

Explorer
And then one day, I was on one of those logging roads, and came upon an old Dodge minivan stopped on the side of the road... and the entire rear axle assembly was about 50 feet behind it. And there you go.

I have several friends mock me on my toyo with 1 ton drivetrain. Usually after learning that it have been 30+ times to Creel and back and their crappy brand new Jeeps cant make it twice, they begin to understand. :sombrero:

Its not the fact that a car can make it or not, its the issue that a stock car cant keep on doing it reliably.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier