ExPo 3rd Gen 4Runner Registry

MandAtaco

Observer
1. Year, color, options, etc...
2000 Black Limited 4x4

2. Name of owner/screen name/truck name...
Mike / MandAtaco / KatieD

3. How long have you owned your 3rd Gen? How many have you owned?
I've had this Runner for a little over a year, it was bone stock when I bought it! This is my 2 3rd gen, and my previous truck was an 01 Taco.

4. What made you decide to buy a 3rd Gen over what other options you might have been considering...
I love the 1st gen taco/3rd gen 4Runner platform, I've beat on them for the last 10 years when virtually no issues. When I decided that my Taco was just to small for my family (extended cab with 3 kids), I knew I wanted a 3rd gen to replace it. In addition, I knew I could use a ton of my parts from the taco I was running, on the Runner.

5. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage...
193K when I bought it, 203K now.

6. Your favorite mods...
Three car seats across the back! Also the sliders, rack, and rear bumper, because I built them all myself.

7. What do you love most about being a 3rd Gen owner...
It's reliability, and ease to work on.

8. How your 3rd Gen is used; is it a DD, weekend Toy, family adventure, overland travel, etc...
DD, weekend warrior, over landing in Nevada.

9. Build thread Linky...
I keep meaning to bring it over here, but right now my build thread is on T4R.org..... http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/190607-mandataco-manda4runner-build-thread.html

10. Poser shots, or real photos, whatever you like... (please keep the photo size reasonable, We don't like scrolling left to right because somebody's photo is too friggin huge, thanks!)

Last edited:

MTWheeler

Observer
-1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5
-MTWheeler
-My first Toyota. About 4 months!
4. What made you decide to buy a 3rd Gen over what other options you might have been considering...
-Price, reliability, and large aftermarket support!
-155k when I bought it. Has 157k now
6. Your favorite mods...
-ARB bumper and warn winch. Love my RTT as well!
-I love my 4Runner! Wouldn't trade it for the world!
8. How your 3rd Gen is used; is it a DD, weekend Toy, family adventure, overland travel, etc...
-It's my DD, and weekend wheeler.
9. Build thread Linky...
-None yet.
10. Poser shots, or real photos, whatever you like...
70ad635e0fe7c7257d99d11a6e15ebcf.jpg

c0c084274d14f74718aea01783dc6601.jpg
aa3de112cf08d11473cc073266855cd5.jpg
9970bc6da454f422996b8f10adb2936e.jpg

Last edited:

LUGS

2001 SR5, Thundercloud metallic

LUGS

First Toyota, had it since April 2011

Toyota reliability, and back seat room (just had a baby at the time) :av-7:

86,000km when bought, 225,000km now

6. Your favorite mods...
A good set of tires, the rest is mostly preventative maintenance

What's not to love...

All the above

9. Build thread Linky...
Nothing yet

4Runner-2.jpeg
Heading to Chilko-2.jpg
4Runner-3.jpeg

runnerxa

1999, Desert Dune, Limited with e-locker, 4.3 diff
Mike/runnerxa/none
Since Feb 2005. First one and eventually that led me to also owning a GX470 (also slightly built).
Back in 2005, it was price and QDR. Plus one of my friend owned a second gen and kept telling me how reliable it was. Mechanically it has been pretty much on the spot.
(Feb 2005) ~60,000 miles and now (May 2016) ~175,000 miles
6. Your favorite mods...
TRD Supercharger (black) with URD mods, IPT Valve Body upgrade, Radflo shocks, Fumoto drain valve, and home built aluminum flat roof rack (now I am very close to my stock mpg vs my Yakima Loadwarrior)
Stock capability with little to no modifications, small enough to fit on trails that my GX470 can't, and cheap enough that I can easily repair and find parts. My main complaint is the rear axle seal leaks and working on greasy rear drum brakes.
DD, family adventures, and overland travels in the future (kids are too young for me to take them on extended trips, plus my wife prefer to take the GX470 for long trips).
9. Build thread Linky...
None, lightly built through the last 11 years starting with the supercharger in 2008, minor suspension upgrade in 2012, and finally a home built roof rack in Feb 2016. Vehicle in stock form has performed very well as I have travel across the US 4 times, took numerous family trips to the backcountry, and driven in the desert, through rainstorms and snowstorms.
BigSurPacificHwy1Drive2014May029.jpg
DeathValleyArtistsPalette2016Jan001.jpg
DeathValleyTeakettleJunction2016Jan003.JPG
DeathValleyWelcomeToDeathValley2016Jan013.JPG
DSC_0174.JPG
JasonVisitPismoBeach2013July090.JPG
OceanDunes2012August105.JPG
SequoiaNationalPark2013Dec014.jpg

Last edited:

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
1997 SR5 some kind of green

Not sayin/Utah KJ/D.A.V.e

5 years. One.

Was cheap and it ran.

190k - 260k

6. Your favorite mods...
ARB Fridge

Cheap and runs

All manor of land transportation from coast to coast

9. Build thread Linky...
Please.

10. Poser shots, or real photos, whatever you like... (please keep the photo size reasonable, We don't like scrolling left to right because somebody's photo is too friggin huge, thanks!)
No graven images

SnoViking

Adventurer
1999 Silver SR5 3.4l Auto

Patrick / Snoviking / "The Truck"

13 Years. Only owned 1... only needed 1...

I looked for 6 months for a 5-speed 4Runner within 500 miles. Every one I found was sold before I got to check it out. After 6 months, all the autos I passed up were gone also. I found this one about an hour away and bought it on the spot in about 20 minutes.

Bought in 2003 with 39k. Its sitting right at 240k.

6. Your favorite mods...
OME/Bilstein Lift combo.
Roof top tent.
Tacoma wheels (I always hated the split 3 OEM wheels).
Scooped hood (drove to Georgia for it)

The truck (and it is a truck) is bomb proof. In 13 years and 200k miles I've only done oil, fluids, brakes, tires, water pump and belts, an O2 sensor, and a radiator. The truck has taken us all over from Florida to Maine to Missouri. Could use a bit more interior room but not too many complaints.

I recently retired it as my DD (picked up a cheap IS300 for blasting back and forth to work). It's our travel rig now. All our longs trips/camping trips/exploring is done in it. But it's still my baby.

toy_tek

Adventurer
1997 white. ARB locked front & rear, Icon suspension, 255/85/16 BFG, Irbis rear bumper, Warn 8000, blah blah blah
Jon

Bought in 2002... almost 15 years ago! :Wow1: 3rd Toyota, only 4runner
Was looking at 2nd Gen but liked the larger 3rd Gen interior and 3.4.
49k Current: 230k
6. Your favorite mods...
Top-Spin "snorkel" and my camping platform with homebuilt fridge slide, 7 gallon water system, CO2 holder, and bi-fold table. All cheap experiments (except for the actual fridge) that work way better than expected.
No maintenance!
Was DD until 3 years ago, now its the long-distance go-anywhere camper.
9. Build thread Linky...
none, too busy camping.
imogene.jpg

Imogene Pass CO 2015
Baja.jpg

Baja 2014
elcamino.jpg

El Camino Del Diablo / AZ 2011

devero4

Adventurer
1. 1999 SR5 Desert Dune 4WD Auto.
2. Chris
3. Going on 3 years of ownership
4. I originally wanted an 80 Series, but these are easier and cheaper to fix. Plus better MPG's
5. 217k, now has 269k
6. Fav mod is my HD suspension
7. I love the way the look even stock. Ever since I was a kid I wanted one. Plus they are so easy to fix, even on the side of the road (which is rare)
8. Daily driven, weekend camping warrior, "Overland rig"
9. No build thread, keeping it stock as possible
tent1.jpgIMG_0607.jpgIMG_0643.jpgIMG_7974.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 418

Dirtco

Adventurer
1999, Autumn Blaze, Limited, E-Locker, Supercharged
Jeremiah/Dirtco
Bought in 2011, had 1st Gen 4Runners before this one.
Thought about a 3.4 swap, but decided to buy the vehicle that came with the engine and build it.
Bought with 115K, now 138K (a majority of those miles are dirt)
6. Your favorite mods...
The whole package (it all works together), followed by the trailer :).
Taking it places people won't believe, in comfort!
Started as DD/Weekend wheeler; graduated to street driven trail rig.
9. Build thread Linky...
4Runner: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/95322-dirtcos-1999-4runner-build.html
Trailer: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/gener...dirtco%92s-camping-trailer-version-1-2-a.html

Richie

Adventurer
1998 all black limited. Leather, sunroof, e-locker

Richie/Richie/"The rig" or my favorite, "daddy's truck"

Since Easter weekend '16. It's my 2nd 3rd Gen and 3rd 4Runner. Plan on keeping this one though

I tend to like older rigs. Its old, but not quite vintage yet. Oh, and its a Toyota!

149k when bought. It currently has 174k

6. Your favorite mods...
The lift of course!

Not too big, elocker(even though I haven't used it yet), its high stance, very capable and awesome fishing/camping rig

A bit of it all, but mainly hauls my 2 and 4 year olds around

9. Build thread Linky...
none

341E4084-FBE8-49D2-A7C4-3CB8F6CACA6F.jpeg
AFC0C589-9D48-48E3-B95F-3789405360F2.jpeg
7dbb3acd8e53cc065b921699bff27d7a.jpg

1d0d54be41cbe92b26642a9e8afcb147.jpg

88b4c50ca152b6fa0e41080722452653.jpg

200c6c3ab0f1ceb02b2c7bafd4abad1a.jpg

4ed8d0725e2d339a67a647a076318745.jpg

Last edited:

AxleIke

Adventurer
1999, one of toyota's 100 shades of Millennium Silver, SR5, Factory options were tinted front windows, heated mirrors, no sun roof, rear locker, 5 speed.
AxleIke, Baby Beast 2
Owned for 5 years, first one I've owned
Didn't consider anything else. Wanted the 96 and up suspension, didn't want the 03 and up body
201,000/275,000
6. Your favorite mods...
Dual cases, front locker, compressor, various supercharger goodies
The look on people's faces when it drives by them on trails they didn't think were possible.
All of it except overlanding. I camp.
9. Build thread Linky...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/112228-1999-4Runner-SR5-Baby-Beast-2

In progress

99 limited, started emerald green, now is Khaki semi-gloss finish. Rear diff lock, big brakes, auto, 4.30 ratios.

Roger, (Renegade_Medic), truck name is Mothra because there was a mother in the instrument panel and it's a Japanese truck, so it stuck.

3. How long have you owned your 3rd Gen?
Owned for 5 months
How many have you owned?
First one

Was considering a WJ grand Cherokee and tacoma as well. Tacomas were at least twice the price as the 4Runner for the same thing basically, and I already have 2 trucks. WJs are hard to come by with V8 and 4x4 in my area, plus Chrysler quality is poor, have owned several jeeps.
Ended up with 4R because of great rep and parts/info availability is huge. Plus I always like the lines on these (closet SUV fan). And I got a good deal on this one....so far...

248k at purchase and 254-ish now.

6. Your favorite mods...
Toytec front coils, OME rear 891s and Bilstein 5100s all around. It drives sooooo good.

Most 4Runners in my area are bone stock, nearly all 4x4s in central Texas are either trucks or JKUs (the new Honda Civic), so it's something different. I always get compliments on my rig.

It is mostly a Weekend Toy/family adventure.

9. Build thread link: I stopped updating this, but this is the link.

*http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/163550-Another-Budget-3rd-Gen-4Runner-build

14457415_10157501693145427_5393683281951602580_n.jpg

15326330_10157867085480427_1849656397714474689_n.jpg

15267917_10157867085250427_6254088942357244942_n.jpg

owyheerat

Adventurer
Another 3rd gen...

1. Year, color, options, etc... 1999, Silver, base model, 5spd, 2.7l 4 cylinder (3RZ)
2. Name of owner/screen name/truck name...Durwin, Owyheerat
3. How long have you owned your 3rd Gen? How many have you owned? 4 years. This my 2nd 3rd gen, but 1st and only vehicle i have ever modded. I have really enjoyed the build and the vehicle. I love the little 3RZ motor. Just enough power (for me), and super simple to work on. Which I've only done PM, haven't had any engine repairs to make...knock on wood. I love Toyotas. I have owned several and they have all been great.
4. What made you decide to buy a 3rd Gen over what other options you might have been considering...Build quality, size (I don't need a bigger SUV), realiability, styling, comfort. This rig is a perfect fit for what I like to do...get out with friends or just me and my dog, and explore.
5. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage...1/9/14, 197k...1/6/17, 217k
6. Your favorite mods... ARB compressor (I like to air down on trails) and lockers. Homemade rear bumper with dual swing outs.
7. What do you love most about being a 3rd Gen owner... Toyota quality and realibility. It's 18 years old, still looks good, runs great, and has taken me everywhere I have wanted to go (and got me home without incident).
8. How your 3rd Gen is used; is it a DD, weekend Toy, family adventure, overland travel, etc... Adventure/Overland/exploreration rig. It is not my DD.
9. Build thread Linky... none...yet.
10. Poser shots, or real photos, whatever you like... (please keep the photo size reasonable, We don't like scrolling left to right because somebody's photo is too friggin huge, thanks!)DSCF1114.jpg

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer
1999, Autumn Blaze, Limited, E-Locker, Supercharged
Jeremiah/Dirtco
Bought in 2011, had 1st Gen 4Runners before this one.
Thought about a 3.4 swap, but decided to buy the vehicle that came with the engine and build it.
Bought with 115K, now 138K (a majority of those miles are dirt)
6. Your favorite mods...
The whole package (it all works together), followed by the trailer :).
Taking it places people won't believe, in comfort!
Started as DD/Weekend wheeler; graduated to street driven trail rig.
9. Build thread Linky...
4Runner: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/95322-dirtcos-1999-4runner-build.html
Trailer: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/gener...dirtco%92s-camping-trailer-version-1-2-a.html

That's a gnarly looking 4Runner. Looks nice. I've never seen that color on this model before. It's a winner.

2002 imperial jade with thundercloud, armor lockers suspension
Zach
About 5 years
Had an 05 Tacoma and wanted something different that still had a strong aftermarket.
130k then 190k now
6. Your favorite mods...
arb lockers with 4.88 gears and rear disc brakes. Trailer
All the looks.
All of the above.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/179851-4x4runner2002-build.html#post1820245

2899c8122058977d4835c85eecb32807.jpg

fcf14521473d747b98e9688806df2540.jpg

4ae75a3add35de4c5f732e60b249f2d4.jpg

3a08e048a23881426254b92f959d2486.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz