Expo 40 Series Registry

drew944

1. Year, model, color, etc: 1979 HJ45 Mustard Trakka Pop-Top (Colonel Mustard)
2. Name of owner/screen name:Drew944, Drew
3. How long have you owned your 40 series? Is this your first? First 40 Series. I've had it for almost a week
4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage: Your guess is as good as mine
5. Your favorite mods... If any: 2H, Trakka pop-top, dual tanks
6. How your 40 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.: Adventure mobile, Camper, Gear Hauler,
7. 'Final thoughts, good or bad, pros or cons, about owning and driving a 40 series: If you want to go out in style, drive a Land Rover. If you want to come back alive in style, drive a Land Cruiser.
8. Link to your build thread:
9. Your 3 favorite photos (keep them updated):
IMG_2216.jpg
IMG_2219.jpg
IMG_2226.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
1. Year, model, color, etc: 71 FJ40, some earth color (will be somewhere between tan and orange)
2. Name of owner/screen name: SuperBuickGuy
3. How long have you owned your 40 series? Is this your first? Bought it October, 2014, this is my 8th FJ40
4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage: who knows, I've only put 10 miles on it since I got it, and it was all on a trailer (see pictures)
5. Your favorite mods... If any: all of them
6. How your 40 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.: It's time to remove my daily driving from my RV. I do Search and Rescue, overland, and wheeling for fun (yes, all three) - so it's time to have one rig to rule them all - driving a modified vehicle to work creates problems that I just don't need...
7. 'Final thoughts, good or bad, pros or cons, about owning and driving a 40 series. Any 4x4 is a starting point and they get personalized from there. Some love the mods, others, well, not-so-much... but I like open top 4x4s, I don't fit in a Heep, and I like build quality.
8. Link to your build thread: http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum/bangshift/project-cars-update/959224-fj4overland
How I got it

where it's at now

when it was capable of being rolled out of the shop

I'll update as I go along.

irish_11

Explorer
1. Year, model, color, etc: 1978, FJ40, Rustic Green
2. Name of owner/screen name: Kyle/Irish_11
3. How long have you owned your 40 series? Is this your first? Since Sept 2013, and its my first 40 (I've had a FJ62, Tacoma, 1st Gen 4runner, and 1st Gen pickup)
4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage:
5. Your favorite mods... If any: Longer seat brackets, I'm 6'2" and it makes a difference
6. How your 40 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.: It rolls in and out of the garage, haha. Its a work in progress, but mainly for driving just for fun right now. Maybe DD or ExPo in the future, but my Tacoma fills that role right now.
7. 'Final thoughts, good or bad, pros or cons, about owning and driving a 40 series. They are a creature unlike any other. I always wanted one and I understood their limitations. They get poor MPG, they are not that comfortable or practical for everything, but the smile it puts on your face when you drive it is worth it. Trust me on that.
8. Link to your build thread: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/irishs-slow-1978-rustic-green-build.802114

One year after owning it: (they week I brought it home on the right, and one year later on the left)
10619966_10101023055565500_2713440905606746820_o.jpg

Out on its first big adventure: (Cascade Highway Loop in Wa)
11136177_10101272014130540_5877911937302598794_o.jpg

On the center spread of the Maaco national calendar for this year:
11084041_10101276434731620_9155707525612175605_o.jpg

Last edited:

NMC_EXP

Explorer
1. Year, model, color, etc: 1979, FJ40, white.
2. Name of owner/screen name: NMC_EXP
3. How long have you owned your 40 series? First owner, bought it new.
4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage: Current mileage 115,000
5. Your favorite mods... If any: Stock except for catalytic converter and air injection deletes.
6. How your 40 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.: It is semi-retired.
7. 'Final thoughts, good or bad, pros or cons, about owning and driving a 40 series. Classic and iconc....'nuff said.
8. Link to your build thread: n/a

FJ40_POST_JPEG.jpg

oilhammer

78 FJ40

1. Year, model, color, etc: 1978, FJ40, Dune Beige
2. Name of owner/screen name: Oilhammer
3. How long have you owned your 40 series? ~10 years now. Not my first one by any stretch.
4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage: ~50k when I got it (150?) Current mileage 93,000
5. Your favorite mods... If any: Tough to say what my favorite is. Could be the 60 series pwr steering, or the 13B-T turbo diesel swap & 5spd, but the cable lockers range pretty high up there too.
6. How your 40 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.: Daily driver and long range wheeler. Just got back from a trip out to Utah, which was over 1,000 miles in it.
7. 'Final thoughts, good or bad, pros or cons, about owning and driving a 40 series: Well, a bit bumpy as I get older unless it's jammed full with my camp stuff. Bummer is driving it every day starts to wear it out, but the good part of that is that I've gotten to daily drive a 40 for the last 7 yrs! I come to grips with the fact that the next guy that gets this won't get it new, and that just means I enjoyed every minute of what it had to offer me.
8. Link to your build thread: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/which-truck-to-put-13bt-into.60600/

Attachments

• IMG_4936.jpg
    IMG_4936.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5008.jpg
    IMG_5008.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 111
  • poser.jpg
    poser.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 118

cmu91024

74 IN PROGRESS

1. Year, model, color, etc: 74, FJ40 CAPRI BLUE
2. Name of owner/screen name: CHRIS, cmu91024
3. How long have you owned your 40 series? Is this your first? First, had an 80
4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage: >?00000
5. Your favorite mods... If any: REMOVING PO'S STICKERS, RUST FLAMES ARE GROWING ON ME.
6. How your 40 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.: FAMILY ADVENTURE, EXPLORING DEATH VALLEY , SIERRAS
7. 'Final thoughts, good or bad, pros or cons, about owning and driving a 40 series. EASY TO WORK ON. WELL BUILT, NOT AS COMFORTABLE AS THE TUNDRA BUT MORE COMFORTABLE THAN MY MOUNTAIN BIKE.............IMG_2793.jpgphoto (4).jpg
8. Link to your build thread: NOTHING YET.................

40-Overlander

FJ40 Resto-Mod

Originally it was going to be a bare bones hunting rig. Something to take up into the hills and do some light wheeling and trails. After some thought I figured why not turn it into a daily driver? Something that would be comfortable and reliable. Disc brakes, AC, and power steering was the original plan. After some coercion from my brother (Master mechanic behind the build) I took his recommendation in doing a V8 swap. So far the build is about 85% complete. Here's a list of the upgrades.

Starting with the Frame..

Frame-Media blasted and POR-15'd
Old Man Emu Suspension
Axles have been rebuilt, ARB Airlocker in the front axle, Rear will be installed later.
Disc Brake conversion all around. - Wilwood Disc Brakes
33" BFGoodrich Mud Terrain Tires
XD Black Wheels
Siginaw Power steering Conversion
20 gallon fuel tank, located underneath the tub in-between the rear cross member.
Tom Woods Drivelines
Toyota 3-Speed Transfer Case
New NV4500 Transmission
5.3L Vortec Fuel Injected Motor
Corvette Accessories - Allowed for a more compact package for an easier conversion
Upgraded Dual Core Radiator
Electric Fan - Advanced Adapters
Body has been media blasted. Replaced any areas that was damaged by rust with new metal.
Tub was taken to a Linex facility and sprayed on the bottom of the tub.
Underneath the tub was painted with POR15 for rust prevention.
Body was painted with a high grade Dupont paint in Desert Sand color.
Custom Dash installed with ICON Gauge Cluster and Glovebox door
ICON Steering Wheel
LED Headlights and Tail lights
Custom made Rear Bumper and Tire carrier
Old Air Products AC Installed, In dash vent louvers installed
Painless Wiring Kit
Best Top Seats
Tuffy Center Console
Ididit Tilt Steering Column

IMG_1194.jpg
IMG_8942.jpg
IMG_6636.jpg