Expo / Daily-driver JK build (Pic-heavy)

ventura911

Adventurer
Disclaimer: I’ve found many great ideas on ExPo that I have used or adapted to my needs, but I’m afraid I haven’t kept track of the sources of those ideas; I appreciate all the R&D efforts others have posted. All bad ideas are the sole responsibility of the owner, and anyone with comments, questions, or suggestions for improvements are encouraged to do so!

After gleaning a lot of information and advice from the Portal, its members, and others in the Jeep and off-road communities, I’ve finished (well, almost) my build for duties ranging from daily commuting to overlanding. Since my wife and daughter have little interest (read: none) in this type of camping, the Jeep is basically set up for solo expo use, but with the ability to take a passenger or two (my son and a friend) on occasion. Goals were to keep the rear seat available, recovery gear outside and more easily accessible, and tent and sleeping gear out of the Jeep and readily deployable.

Highlights
· 2007 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon, 6-spd manual (still with 4.10 gears), hardtop (soft top in garage), 87,000 miles
· 35x12.50R17 KM2's, siped, on OEM wheels with 1.5" Spidertrax spacers
· GenRight 20 gallon auxiliary fuel tank with Currie Antirock rear swaybar
· Shrockworks front bumper (with Warn PowerPlant and IPF 968 lights), rails, and rear bumper/tire carrier with custom bike rack
· Old Man Emu springs (2619’s front, 2620’s rear - 660# needed for weight), long-travel Nitrocharger shocks, and extended brake lines
· JKS ACOS adjustable spacers, driveshafts, and upper control arms
· Dynatrac ProSteer ball joints
· Custom roof (fairly low profile) and rear cargo racks of my own design, built by SMP-Fabworks, all removable (with enough time) and work with the T-tops and soft top, too
· Tentcot Oversize (legs removed, but can be easily reattached), mountable to roof rack on sliding bracket, with custom cover, Butler bag, and Thermarest mattress
· ARB rear awning
· Golight Stryker spotlights (2) with wireless remote controls and detachable flood lenses
· Whelen 3” LED compartment light with both white and red settings
· Vector Offroad JK E-dock with RAM mounts for Garmin 60CSx GPS, Cobra 75 WX ST CB, and iPad
· ARB 50qt fridge/freezer
· Front Runner 10.57 gallon upright water tank with Helton heater and pump
· Dual butcher block cutting boards/tables
· Pelican cases with Caribou Cargo Quick Fasten System
· PETT toilet and Outback Porta Privy
· Recovery gear (straps, tools, shovel, Pull-pal, etc.)
· Safety gear, Adventure Medical Kits Comprehensive First Aid kit, fire extinguisher

Pics to follow.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, the fully-loaded, ready-to-go wet weight of the Jeep, including driver, is 6400 lbs., split 2650 front and 3750 rear. An upgrade from OME 2618 (330# rating) springs was needed; adjusting the ACOS just didn't cut it. Now, with the 2620's (660# rating), I'm handling the load much better.

Last edited:

keithro

Adventurer
Looks great.
How did you wire the Whelen light? New circuit or tap into the wiper circuit?
Let's see some pics of how you set up the e-dock.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz