Expo Trailer Frame Model

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Well I had the choice of doing home work or playing with a modeling program. So, this is what I ended up doing:

ExpoTrailerFramecopy.jpg

If I build a new trailer I think that I'll do one with an air bag suspension. The bushings are based on the ones that all of the 4WD builders are using. 2-5/8" wide and 2" diameter. The frame rails are 2" x 3" tube with a 1/8" wall. The tubing for the trailing arms is 2" square with 1/8" wall as well. (Yes, there will be more bracing on the arms.)

What do you think?

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Nice work!

Just make sure the axle is positioned at 60/40 or more to the trailer body. With a short trailer like that you may want to go 70/30 to make it easier the back up and less likely to get loaded wrong.

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
As it sits in the above picture the axle centerline is 42" from the front of the 72" long trailer frame. This gives me 58.3% of the load box forward of the axle. I might move the axle back another 6" to the 48" mark, giving me 66.7% of the load forward of the axle. I'll have to think on that for a bit; I still need to consider the weight that I will be adding to the tongue as far as water / fuel / battery / and propane are concerned.

The tongue will probably add another 48" to the overall length of the trailer, making it 120" overall.

It sure is a lot of fun trying to design and figure out how it will all fit together. I guess I need to design some fuel / water can holders and add them to the mix as well.

For any one that wants to try their hand at designing stuff down load either the free copy of SketchUp from Google and just start using the tutorials or down load the free trial version of Rhino3D (do a google search) and start working on the tutorials there as well. Just try and master the basics then you will be ready to take on the harder stuff. Their help files have served me well.

By the way, the above was done in Rhino3D.

Mike

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Just worked on this a little more and got the trailer box and lid done. I'll say that I have never seen an Adventure Trailers Chaser in person but I do like their look so I tried to immitate it in form.

TrailerModel2.jpg

The trailer box (the red portion) is 26" deep from the top to the floor. The lid (the green portion) is 5" tall. This will give me a maximum 31" of verticle space to try and stuff things into.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
I think I would probably use round tube for the suspension so that you can bend it and use a single piece for the bent side of your trailing arm instead of having a weld at the mid point. I like the design, but when it comes to suspension I like to try to keep my welds to a minimum and use as few pieces as possible.

stomperxj

Explorer
Not to hijack your thread but I have been drawing up some plans myself. Modeled in autocad and rendered in Google Sketchup. I think I'm going to go with leaf springs though for simplicity. Nice looking drawings ;)

chasercopy.jpg

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
stomperxj said:
Not to hijack your thread but I have been drawing up some plans myself. Modeled in autocad and rendered in Google Sketchup. I think I'm going to go with leaf springs though for simplicity. Nice looking drawings ;)

chasercopy.jpg

Nice job!

If you don't mind me asking what are the trailers dimensions? Box - Length, bottom width, top width, height. Lid - height. Trailer - overall length, tomgue length. Axle - track width, centerline from back of trailer.

Also, where the box flares out I went out 5" per side and up 3". If I could remember my geometry I could figure out the angle. If I wasn't too lazy I'd find out how to measure the angle in Rhino. What did you do for the flare at the top of your trailer box?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I just wanted to see how the two compared numerically.

Mike

stomperxj

Explorer
PM Me your email address and I can send you a PDF with all the dimensions of the box if you want... I looked at every single picture of a Chaser I could find and did some tracing in autocad. I then tweaked it to my liking...

Here's one with an XJ towing it :)

XJ-Chasersm.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Ultralight Motorcycle trailer design I was working on for a while. Modeled in SolidWorks. Idea was a trailer under 200 lbs. with a totally removable (for storage) and reversible (hi/lo drop hitches) tongue and a bi-folding ramp that doubles as a tailgate. Currently the frame sits at 214.7 lbs according to SW.

Last edited:

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
I did get the e-mail. Thanks! I haven't had timwe to sit down and do a good comparison yet though. Work has been going nuts and I ended up going to a high school ball game tonight.

The one thing that I did notice is that your trailer box is 5'-6" where as the one that I have modeled is 7' long. The tongue on both of the are the same at 3' long.

I'll have to sit down and do some more comparisons though.

Thanks again for the PDF.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior