Extended Breathers..........

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Check out the Got Water Crossing? thread for more ideas, pics and stories.

I finally got around to taking pics of my extended breathers.

For the REAR..........

I went to my Toyota Dealer and told him what I wanted to do. He came up with a part. Some 4x4 sites have stated that you can just go to Home Depot and use one of their brass fittings. But this is not true (I tried it). The thread count is different. Sure you could cram it on, but I don't work like that.

After choking on the price of fuel line hose at NAPA.........I stumbled upon the perfect fuel line hose sold by the foot at Lowes. Great price!

I inserted the Toyota brass fitting.

I ran the hose up along the inside of my gas tank filler area.

I put the old spring loaded factory breather back on the top end of my new hose and zip tied it way up as high as I could just behind the gas tank filler.

I left enough slak in the hose for articulation.

2006_0428RadiatorFlush0012.jpg

2006_0428RadiatorFlush0014.jpg

For the FRONT............

The new brass Toyota fitting would not work up front because it was too tall and I could not find another solution right away.

So I simply removed the TOP of the original factory spring loaded breather and clamped the hose right on it.

I ran the hose up to the pass. side firewall.

I'm looking for the right kind of air filter now. For now I have a clothes dryer sheet tied on the end to act as a filter. .....and my mechanic told me that he has customers who put these sheets around their engines because it keeps the mice and rats away because they don't like the smell!.....hum!

2006_0428RadiatorFlush0006.jpg

I guess at some point I should check on the tranny and transfer case breathers.

Last edited by a moderator:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Home depot may not sell the right fitting, but Ace Hardware does. Just pull whatever fitting is supplied by the OEM, take it in and match it up with the appropriate hose barb. Or buy a jeep. They have a hose nipple welded (brazed) into the axle housing, so you just pull the OEM hose (too short), toss it in the trash, and install whatever length you want. Mine runs into the engine compartment.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I think SWR is technically right. My understanding is that the fitting itself might be M10-1.0, which isn't a very common size in the plumbing department.

A M10-1.0 fitting is roughly 0.394 inches and 25.4 TPI. Both Toyota and Nissan make an emissions fitting that apparently will thread into the hole. The Nissan part is 38323-C6010 and the Toyota is 90404-51319 and both AFAIK take 7/32" or 1/4" ID hose. However, a 1/8" NPT fitting is 0.407 inches (10.2mm) and 27 TPI. The biggest difference is that the NPT will be a tapered thread and the M10-1.0 is probably not.

I personally used 1/8" NPT to 1/4" barb fittings and they threaded right into my diffs with very little effort. I used Loctite 80632 thread seal when I put them in, which may have lubricated the threads if they rethreaded a bit. But I started them by hand and only turned them about 1 revolution with the wrench, so they couldn't have rethreaded much. If they did, it would have been without doubt the brass fitting and not the axle housing, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94