Extreme hunting

timdollins66

Im brain storming for trip ideas Nov.-Jan. 2018 and wondering if anyone has any thoughts on hunting trips that are once in a lifetime experiences. Interested in way back country camping, roughing it, and cost effectiveness anywhere in the world. Polar bear would obviously be the ultimate but the prices are absurd. Anyone got any ideas or thoughts on the topic? Wolverine looks like a good one too but having trouble finding outfitters.

timdollins66

Loud boy: I always hunt naked and usually only use my finger nails and teeth.

Verkstad: Yea it's a good idea but tough to implement this style of expedition in real time. The plan is simple enough but you usually run into a lot of unforeseen issues on these types of trips. Speaking from experience.

Greatest of Danes: Great, thanks very much for the suggestion ill do some more research into it now.

timdollins66

Ok, the Marco Polo sheep hunt looks absolutely amazing but way out of my price range

looks like over 20k is the normal price on these trips
I don't spend anywhere near that on my trips. Keep it under 5k at absolute maximum.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Dalko43

Explorer
Just remember, only a pansy ass ********** hunts for sport and trophy (polar bears, wolves, anything you aint eating) with anything more than his bare hands. Real men go naked.

But when a hunter spears a black bear (the way that old hunter-gathers did), all the self-righteous keyboard warriors cry bloody murder.

Also, the natives who guide and hunt polar bears up in the Arctic regions of Canada are anything but "pansy's." If you had the balls to take a leave of absence from your keyboard and go live and work with those folks for a week, then maybe people might take your views of hunting seriously...and maybe you wouldn't hold the same view as you do now.

OP, where do you live? "Extreme hunts" aren't that hard to come by in most areas of North America.

loudboy

Observer
But when a hunter spears a black bear (the way that old hunter-gathers did), all the self-righteous keyboard warriors cry bloody murder.

Also, the natives who guide and hunt polar bears up in the Arctic regions of Canada are anything but "pansy's." If you had the balls to take a leave of absence from your keyboard and go live and work with those folks for a week, then maybe people might take your views of hunting seriously...and maybe you wouldn't hold the same view as you do now.

OP, where do you live? "Extreme hunts" aren't that hard to come by in most areas of North America.
Alligator season just closed in Mississippi, hook and line only if I’m not mistaken. And yes we have the big boys down here.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.wptv...c-alligator-breaks-record-in-mississippi.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dalko43 No doubt getting out into the backcountry is challenging as hell. I've been on tough hikes and backpacking trips in some pretty wild terrain and terrible weather; being out in the back country is no joke. The "pansy" part is pulling a trigger on a high-powered rifle aimed at an unwitting critter from a hundred yards away and claiming it as some sort of feat of physical prowess or laudable achievement. It's not.

Zeiderman Now that seems more like a terrifying fair fight. Reeling in a gator? damn

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Thats a vast over simplification. Consider the sense of smell of a bear, the terrain and time of day if you are gonna get the animal out, its not pansy stuff at all. Its one thing to say you don't like it or agree with it, but that doesnt make the hunter a pansy.

Dalko43

Explorer
Dalko43 No doubt getting out into the backcountry is challenging as hell. I've been on tough hikes and backpacking trips in some pretty wild terrain and terrible weather; being out in the back country is no joke. The "pansy" part is pulling a trigger on a high-powered rifle aimed at an unwitting critter from a hundred yards away and claiming it as some sort of feat of physical prowess or laudable achievement. It's not.

From the way you talk, I don't think you've spent much time, if any, hunting an animal. It's not as simple as getting to within a few hundred yards and pulling a trigger. And believe it or not, simply getting to within a decent range of animal in order to line up a shot can be much more complicated than how you portray it. If it were that easy, a lot more people would be out in the woods looking for that easy meat with which to fill up their freezers.

Some people hunt and eat bears. You don't have to like it, but I'd encourage you to learn more about what that hunt actually entails before you disparage the people partaking in it.

And next time you take a bite into your burger, I wonder if you'll have same moral pangs over how easy it was for that slaughterhouse to put a bolt-pistol up to some cow's head and kill it. I'm not knocking the meat industry, rather I'm saying people are very selective in terms of how they apply their moral outrage.

Thats a vast over simplification. Consider the sense of smell of a bear, the terrain and time of day if you are gonna get the animal out, its not pansy stuff at all. Its one thing to say you don't like it or agree with it, but that doesnt make the hunter a pansy.

Vast over-simplification would be putting it mildly...

loudboy

Observer
From the way you talk, I don't think you've spent much time, if any, hunting an animal. It's not as simple as getting to within a few hundred yards and pulling a trigger. And believe it or not, simply getting to within a decent range of animal in order to line up a shot can be much more complicated than how you portray it. If it were that easy, a lot more people would be out in the woods looking for that easy meat with which to fill up their freezers.

Some people hunt and eat bears. You don't have to like it, but I'd encourage you to learn more about what that hunt actually entails before you disparage the people partaking in it.

And next time you take a bite into your burger, I wonder if you'll have same moral pangs over how easy it was for that slaughterhouse to put a bolt-pistol up to some cow's head and kill it. I'm not knocking the meat industry, rather I'm saying people are very selective in terms of how they apply their moral outrage.
You're right on that first part, I've only hunted what were essentially tame deer on a small island. Very much a "harvest" situation for a years worth of sausage.

I've no moral pangs about a burger, but I don't go championing myself for manliness in eating one, either. My issue isn't with hunting in general, it's with folks that think they are hot ******** for shooting an animal just for the trophy of it. It's so wildly juvenile to think you've bested nature by shooting a polar bear or elephant or jaguar for sport. The technological advantage is so stupefying that it's a surprise these same guys aren't showing off their store bought jeans like "hey y'all, I domesticated cotton!"

Zeiderman

Adventurer
Good article on how trophy hunting has helped save the black rhino from extinction in Namibia, brought back from 90 to 1,700.
Not in this article but elephants are also culled for population control. Hunters and fisherman give more money to conservation, either because they want or have to through taxation and licensing than any other group. Trophy hunting is a legal form of taking an animal.

https://africanrhino.org/2013/11/11/can-rhinos-profit-from-trophy-hunting/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
You're right on that first part, I've only hunted what were essentially tame deer on a small island. Very much a "harvest" situation for a years worth of sausage.

I've no moral pangs about a burger, but I don't go championing myself for manliness in eating one, either. My issue isn't with hunting in general, it's with folks that think they are hot **** for shooting an animal just for the trophy of it. It's so wildly juvenile to think you've bested nature by shooting a polar bear or elephant or jaguar for sport. The technological advantage is so stupefying that it's a surprise these same guys aren't showing off their store bought jeans like "hey y'all, I domesticated cotton!"

Again, you should take the time to learn what is actually involved in hunting an animal, especially an apex predator like a bear or wild cat. Even with the technological advantage available to humans (which has arguably been our only advantage ever since we began as nomadic hunters), the actions and skills required to locate and shoot an animal are not easy to come by. By your own admission, your only experience with hunting is shooting a bunch of tame deer which were trapped on an island....so what is it that you think you know about hunting big and dangerous game in the wilds of North America? I also can't help but notice a little hypocrisy in your opinion: you'll call a hunter who tracks down and kills a dangerous polar bear in the remote wilderness of North America a "pansy," but yet you think nothing of shooting a bunch of trapped deer which have been de-sensitized to human presence.

As for a particular hunter's motivation, I really don't care what motivates him/her, so long as the rules are followed and money is paid into the conservation system.

In this day-and-age, with moral outrage just one click away, I don't think most hunters are going after animals in order to show-off to the rest of the world....I know I don't. You spend quite a bit of time cold, uncomfortable and uncertain in a very remote, and sometimes dangerous, environment. That's a lot of hardship to endure, and I suspect most hunters endure it for a more substantial reason rather than for some egotistical and vain attempt to show off. There are easier ways to impress other people, if that's your true goal.

I'm not saying that those hunters don't exist. But it's unfair to paint all hunters with such a broad stroke.

The people who legally hunt and harvest bears arguably provide more, financially-speaking, to bear conservation than the internet-dwellers who mock and decry such an activity.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior