EZ Trac

Sixinarow

Adventurer
My newest pipe dream is to build a removable box on a crew cab Freightliner M2 106. 4x4s are kind of rare and fairly expensive.

Instead of doing a 4x4 front axle, has anyone researched EZ Trac hydraulic axles? They run off the PTO and are synched with the rear axle speed.

Thanks,

Nick

quickfarms

Adventurer
It's about a $40,000 list to install it on a truck.

I have not priced a AWD conversion but I do know what used trucks go for and you could put together a nice package for a lot less than that.

Sixinarow

Adventurer
It's about a $40,000 list to install it on a truck.

I have not priced a AWD conversion but I do know what used trucks go for and you could put together a nice package for a lot less than that.

Wow, had no idea they were that expensive. Yeah, it'd be much cheaper to do it other ways.

Thanks for the info.

quickfarms

Adventurer
New AWD components are not cheap either.

It cost $1,000 just for seals and axle nuts on my Marmon Herrington

The axle nut socket is about $1,200

I was told that a rebuilt differential carrier assembly is $10,000. They only break if you get the truck airborne.

Sixinarow

Adventurer
Ouch! Well, I did receive an email back from EZ Trac. $30k depending on axle rating. I didn't ask if that was installed or just parts.

I'll keep looking for already-converted 4x4s.

Are Marmon Herrington axles the only ones used?

I was a local dealer and they carry Sport Chassis and other haulers. He's only had a few 4x4s come through and the salesman said most of the hauler companies get converted at a shop in Oklahoma.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Tulsa truck or Monroe Truck are the guys that do most of the conversions.

Very big $$$$$

If you checkout the Ecoroamer thread you can find some details on the Ford they had done.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Fabco in California also builds axles and there are others.

Most of my involvement has been with Marmon Herrington because that is what I have and they are used on the heavy duty trucks.

One issue you will find is the heavy duty axles do not have locking hubs and the front axle is a major parasitic drain of horsepower

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz