F/S: 2006, LR3 (Discovery 3) HSE, 130,000miles, Kitted for all Adventures $15,995USD

shedlock2000

Observer
I hope so -- I'm trying to find my PhD, so $10k is going straight to that (and I'm away to my position soon!)

I'm pretty sure I've put it on several forums. Not too sure about discoweb.. I don't think I've heard of it! Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shedlock2000

Observer
It may well be, Harbinger808: I shall be away for a week or so and will not be able to arrange to meet anyone to look at it for over that time. Let me know. I have just fitted HID 'main beam' units and new 3200lumen LED's into the front spots too. Bang goes another $800!

Jwestpro

Explorer
How is this truck not sold yet? Seems like a great deal on a solid truck! If I was ready to buy, I'd be in on this one.

2 reasons primarily in my opinion: The much wider buyer market in US must deal with the Canadian border paperwork barrier which is not insurmountable, but most people just don't want to fuss with such things. The "firm" price may be a bit strong, thus not sold yet. The sweet spot not yet found between steal-deal-overpriced. Could also just be timing. KBB in US is $10,700 if in "excellent" condition for all aspects. Unfortunately, speaking from experience, we don't get that much return on aftermarket parts added to the equation.

I may be in the market for an lr3 for a family member which is why I'm posting here and have 1 question for the seller: mentioned is "HD towing package" but there was no such "package" at the time. In 2006I thought it was separated "towing pkg" (electrics and 2" receiver) or "HD pkg" (simply the locking rear diff & full size spare). Seeing a full size spare under a used lr3 does not necessarily mean it came with the "HD pkg" because people often added the 5th/spare on their own post purchase. A far away buyer would like to see either the original window sticker or the screen showing lockers engaged or visual proof of locking rear differential seen by the mechanism on it.

A buyer would also want verification on the spare if it's a "matching" full size or simply also full size (I mention this because I have seen LR's with different sized wheel underneath and even different sized tire after increasing size of the other 4.

Otherwise this lr3 looks great. At that mileage though I'd be looking next to driveling and wheel hubs as I've had all 4 wheel bearings replaced, the front half shafts, etc.

shedlock2000

Observer
2 reasons primarily in my opinion: The much wider buyer market in US must deal with the Canadian border paperwork barrier which is not insurmountable, but most people just don't want to fuss with such things. The "firm" price may be a bit strong, thus not sold yet. The sweet spot not yet found between steal-deal-overpriced. Could also just be timing. KBB in US is $10,700 if in "excellent" condition for all aspects. Unfortunately, speaking from experience, we don't get that much return on aftermarket parts added to the equation.

I may be in the market for an lr3 for a family member which is why I'm posting here and have 1 question for the seller: mentioned is "HD towing package" but there was no such "package" at the time. In 2006I thought it was separated "towing pkg" (electrics and 2" receiver) or "HD pkg" (simply the locking rear diff & full size spare). Seeing a full size spare under a used lr3 does not necessarily mean it came with the "HD pkg" because people often added the 5th/spare on their own post purchase. A far away buyer would like to see either the original window sticker or the screen showing lockers engaged or visual proof of locking rear differential seen by the mechanism on it.

A buyer would also want verification on the spare if it's a "matching" full size or simply also full size (I mention this because I have seen LR's with different sized wheel underneath and even different sized tire after increasing size of the other 4.

Otherwise this lr3 looks great. At that mileage though I'd be looking next to driveling and wheel hubs as I've had all 4 wheel bearings replaced, the front half shafts, etc.

Hi Jwestpro,

I am not as familiar with NAS specifications as you are, so you must excuse my ignorance here. The 'HD package' refers to the hitch receiver and electrics; I do not believe that she has a rear locking differential (although, when off road, there is a locking icon displayed on the computer screen on the dash). Nevertheless, I fitted the rear diff with the locking differential fluid just in case -- I have never seen a locking rear differential on and Land Rover, so I am unsure how they look physically.

The spare is a matching full size tyre and rim; Goodyear duratrac 255/55 19".

The paperwork is a bit of an issue for US buyers -- however, she was originally registered in the US, and so paperwork is not *that* much of an issue (there is no duty required). This means (so far as I am aware) that the vehicle simply needs declaring at the border as an import. The vehicle was first registered at a dealership in LA (for which I have contact information), and an copy of the original registration can be obtained easily to present at the border upon crossing to prove that the duty has already been paid on the vehicle.

I inspected the driveline and bearings for wear prior to a trip to BC last year with my mum; no evidence of wear or play was indicated. However, some slight wear to the driver's side track rod end (drag link end/tie rod end) was observed -- I shall be replacing them relatively soon, though there is no need for an immediate replacement as the movement is only minor at the moment. A pan heater was fitted to the vehicle before the winter, as the vehicles are not equipped with such from the US. The second owner did not have one fitted as the vehicle lived in a heated garage.

The price is 'firm' due to the level of work and extras that have been invested into her. That does not mean I would not be open to a slight re-consideration (as mentioned with several interested parties). Last week I replaced the transmission oils again (because the original transmission service did not include a purge of the torque converter or cooler), and I fitted $750 worth of HID high beam lights. This weekend, I shall be replacing the rear parking sensor loom (harness), as very occasionally in certain weather conditions the parking sensor beeps improperly. This continued care is not added to the vehicles cost, but reflects the continued level of investment and maintenance made in her.

In the past, I have found that people make rather disrespectful offers if 'obo' is indicated. However, people that understand the value of this vehicle and the work that has gone into her will recognise that the figure is reasonable and will understand her value. I am a student trying to find money for my PhD -- if I accept a lower offer than her value, I would have lost all of the effort and care and attention I have put into her (financial and otherwise); consequently, I would be better keeping her rather than accepting a lower offer and buying something less expensive (without her known history and reliability) in order to simply realise capital which I can use towards my tuition costs. Something that might be financially unwise (given the potential costs of a replacement vehicle and it's unknown mechanical soundness).

Tough for me, I understand, but I take great pride in my Land Rovers, and I cannot, in all reasonableness, accept a low-ball offer simply because it would help with my tuition costs. The calculus is more complicated than that. My last Classic had over a million km on her and I had her for over 300,000 km of that -- and is still running around the city! I like to keep my vehicles in tip top condition (as far as is reasonably practicable).

Thanks for the inquiries; I hope I've helped clarify some of your questions?

Jwestpro

Explorer
Hi Jwestpro,

I am not as familiar with NAS specifications as you are, so you must excuse my ignorance here. The 'HD package' refers to the hitch receiver and electrics; I do not believe that she has a rear locking differential (although, when off road, there is a locking icon displayed on the computer screen on the dash). Nevertheless, I fitted the rear diff with the locking differential fluid just in case -- I have never seen a locking rear differential on and Land Rover, so I am unsure how they look physically.

The spare is a matching full size tyre and rim; Goodyear duratrac 255/55 19".

I think it would do your thread well to verify the locker or not. A couple ways to do this:
1-take some photos underneath up at the differential and I think from either side through the opening in the fender liner above/behind the tire when raised as high as possible. I forget what to call it but the locking version has some external actuator that other don't. Yopu might "search" for " lr3 locker" first to find out what to look for.
2-get it into a low range, mud n ruts or rock crawl mode where a rear tire has very little traction to see if the 4x4 screen will show "green" "locked" on the lock icon for the rear. The center should "lock" first but if you can get a cross axle situation and the rear never "locks" then it probably doesn't have the locker.....however, that 19" spare makes me put a little money on you having the locker. Bakc then orderin the car with the spare meant ordering the "HD package" which was in fact, the locker and spare, not the towing parts which were a separate order line item on the lr3.
3-get a dealer to use the vin to look up the build sheet as specified for when it came to the US - ideally from the dealer who sold it new.

Your vehicle does sound like a nice buy though :)

mmbirtcher

Observer
Go to this link, pop in your VIN. It will give you all the info on the rover, including whether the rear differential is open or locking. I suggest posting the list that the VIN produces on this thread with the more interesting parts such as HD highlited for prospective buyers.

http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Land Rover

Another thought, do some of the groundwork for re-importation to the US, including getting paperwork if possible, and include links to US Customs rules to prove just how easy it is for folks to bring it back.

Regardless, just a few months too early for me! GLWS!

crown14

I missed the milage of the vehicle?

I have to second some of the analysis of why this hasn't sold yet, and add that having the truck professionally detailed is a wise idea prior to photos. I'm interested, but can literally smell a wet dog in my mind when I look at the interior.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
It's in the title Joel, 130k.
And if you get it, touch base as I have brought in a couple from the north- Rovers and Fords, and no issue if you get all the docs you need while there.

crown14

It's in the title Joel, 130k.
And if you get it, touch base as I have brought in a couple from the north- Rovers and Fords, and no issue if you get all the docs you need while there.
Thanks

It's a hell of a long way away, but I'm intrigued.

Sherlock what do the seats look like under the covers? Got two keys for it? Any surface rust anywhere?

crown14

ALSO really really want to hear some confirmation on the locker/HD package.

shedlock2000

Observer
Thanks

It's a hell of a long way away, but I'm intrigued.

Sherlock what do the seats look like under the covers? Got two keys for it? Any surface rust anywhere?

Hey Crown14,

There is no surface rust on the vehicle anywhere -- we live in what is technically a desert! In fact, there is no rust anywhere on the vehicle full stop! There is only one key, sadly; I acquired the vehicle like that. There is some wear to the drivers seat at the front near where the seat base would connect to the frame, and some cracking of the leather. However, I dosed the seats very liberally with cleaner and re-conditioner, and they are otherwise in mint condition. I did consider replacing the seat base, but it is quite expensive to do so -- as I am certain you are aware. The seat covers are, in part, an attempt to protect the otherwise excellent seats from further damage.

I am aware that having the vehicle detailed would make her look better, but I am rather fond of being transparent -- though the seats and interior are slightly dusty and look used, this is the default state of the vehicle (though I do spring clean her from time to time). I think that detailing the vehicle may make the car look nice, but give the buyer a false sense of reality. I prefer to buy a car in its daily condition -- that way I can tell how the owners have kept it -- rather than see a mint condition vehicle that may have actually gone through hell and back. That is also why I did not clean the vehicle before I took the photos -- what you see is what you get! The file of receipts that comes with the vehicle speaks for itself.

Hope that helps with your questions!

I am currently in the process of preparing to move to Halifax, Nova Scotia for my PhD, and I am not certain that I would be able to let her go before my move (given that I will need her to tow my home out to the East coast!) Which is frustrating, as I have had three offers on the vehicle over the last 4 days. I cannot sell her while I am out there, as there are no Rovers for sale in Nova Scotia worth buying and so if I were to let her go, it would need to be here and within the next week or so!

crown14

Showing the vehicle in a daily condition is fine as long as you're willing to work towards a daily-type price point.

Ok in the spirit of transparency can we lock down whether or not your truck has the rear locker?

Also:
- if and when either of the diffs have been replaced
- if and when the control arms were last replaced
- if and when the last alternator was installed
- how long ago was the suspension compressor replacement

And could you please supply any other highlights from the receipt file that are pertinent to a person considering driving it 2500 miles home.

OH one more thing- what's the nearest airport to you out there in the Canadian desert?

shedlock2000

Observer
It has had no control arms, and there is no sign of wear on them currently (inspected two weeks ago)

The compressor was replaced about 2 years ago. I have a date somewhere.

She has never had an alternator, but meter readings show current to be acceptable and within parameters (it was checked when fuel pump electrical supply was checked last summer).

All of the information regarding driving her 2500 miles is contained in the original post. I shall be driving her 4500 miles to Nova Scotia in the next few weeks -- so there's your answer for that! Having said that, I am considering switching out the front wheel bearings as these have not yet been replaced -- though they are showing no signs of noise or wear either (these were checked last September before a 2509 mile trip to Vancouver).

There is no locking rear differential -- so far as I can tell.

The nearest airport is Calgary.

Having said all that, as mentioned before, I think I may have to back-out of the sale given my imminent move to Nova Scotia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles