F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

NorthwestDriver

Has Ford made an outright statement? I haven’t tracked this at all since I don’t own a bronco or ecoboost engine. My only reference is what’s been reported in the linked article:

“In October 2021, a now-deleted Bronco6G account posted that the failures were attributed to a bad batch of valves that Ford received from one of its suppliers. The account claimed to work at the Lima engine plant where the 2.7-liter is produced and noted that the bad valves were mostly contained to an April batch. The user stated that something in the valve's metal composition became brittle from engine heat over time, and stressed that it was a supplier issue.

Interestingly, a note in Ford's January 2022 "State of the Plant" bulletin for its Lima facility notes that a supplier issue was resolved with its Nano engine—the 2.7-liter found in the Bronco. More specifically, it mentions a more robust valve design and material changes, which is similar to the posts from the deleted user on Bronco6G.”

calicamper

Expedition Leader
How are 3.55s with the 5.0L

10 speed right?
I recall the 10 spd didn’t really expand the ratio range by much except on the upper end but it greatly improved the ability to keep the rig in its power band at the lower speeds. So the rear end final drive gearing is still pretty important especially if your towing heavy and Or getting crazy on tire size. I know my Ford 10spd also has a bunch of logic that affects how high it will go on the gears when towing. A mechanic buddy with one of the first 10spds towing a dune buggy and atv on a flat bed was all miffed about it not going into upper gears said something was busted?. I suggested that it might actually be designed to do that given the upper gears are more like super over drive which you don’t want with draggy trailers. Few weeks later he told me yup you were right. LoL

Grassland

Aren't the last 3 gears super tall OD gears in the ten? And a fairly low first gear, tho not as low as Nissans new 9 speed.

The 2.7 EB has been around since 2015 or whatever, if dropping valves was a design issue it wouldn't just be popping up in new Bronco's.

In my industry quality control has gone right out the window during COVID-19. It gets made, it goes in the box and ships. Did it get hit by a forklift? Ship it. Did it get half assembled? Put it in the box. Is there a half dozen loose screws rolling around in a sub assembly? Out the dang door it goes.

A modern engine alone is more complicated than residential and small commercial HVAC equipment. But right now you either sell less due to quality control issues, or you slam it out the door and cross your fingers you make more than it costs you in warranty claims.

D45

Explorer
5.0L V8 F150
10 speed transmission
3.55 gears
395 HP @ 5,750 rpm
400 TQ @ 4,500 rpm

5.3L V8 Silverado
8 speed transmission
3.42 gears
355 HP @ 5,600 rpm
383 TQ @ 4,100 rpm

calicamper

Expedition Leader
5.0L V8 F150
10 speed transmission
3.55 gears
395 HP @ 5,750 rpm
400 TQ @ 4,500 rpm

5.3L V8 Silverado
8 speed transmission
3.42 gears
355 HP @ 5,600 rpm
383 TQ @ 4,100 rpm
Pretty damn close
The nutty numbers are the diesel like low rpm torque in the 2.7’s and 3.5’s. If you like diesel power I do, and like the simpler gas factor the new gassers are no joke. After moving from the Toyota 4.7 to the Ford 3.5 hell no ,never going back to 4000+rpm peak power V8’s. The lazy rpm gobs of grunt in these new 2.7’s and 3.5’s make long trips really enjoyable. I like screaming V8 noise on short look at me trips. But dang long trips its absolutely no comparison the low rpm just cruising along with gobs of power is no comparison.

You do long trips seriously look at the new engines. You do short trips and like the stop light roar look at me, go V8. ? Oh and yeah the low rpm high torque rigs are wicked quick if your a stop light drag racer type.

skrypj

Pretty damn close
The nutty numbers are the diesel like low rpm torque in the 2.7’s and 3.5’s. If you like diesel power I do, and like the simpler gas factor the new gassers are no joke. After moving from the Toyota 4.7 to the Ford 3.5 hell no ,never going back to 4000+rpm peak power V8’s. The lazy rpm gobs of grunt in these new 2.7’s and 3.5’s make long trips really enjoyable. I like screaming V8 noise on short look at me trips. But dang long trips its absolutely no comparison the low rpm just cruising along with gobs of power is no comparison.

You do long trips seriously look at the new engines. You do short trips and like the stop light roar look at me, go V8. Oh and yeah the low rpm high torque rigs are wicked quick if your a stop light drag racer type.

I’ve been thinking lately that the 4.6L 1UR in my GX460 just sucks compared to my 3.5. It’s constantly gear hunting and the trans tuning is poor.

There are very few things my GX is better at than my 2014 Ecoboost. Even though it’s 1300 lbs lighter, considerably smaller profile, and on 285/70R17(vs 315/70’s on the F150) it barely averages better mpg. I took a 1-1.5 mpg hit with the 315’s on the truck so before it would have actually been averaging slightly better than the Gx

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I’ve been thinking lately that the 4.6L 1UR in my GX460 just sucks compared to my 3.5. It’s constantly gear hunting and the trans tuning is poor.

There are very few things my GX is better at than my 2014 Ecoboost. Even though it’s 1300 lbs lighter, considerably smaller profile, and on 285/70R17(vs 315/70’s on the F150) it barely averages better mpg. I took a 1-1.5 mpg hit with the 315’s on the truck so before it would have actually been averaging slightly better than the Gx
The 07 4.7 Sequoia got a power bump which made it need premium gas for any highway hauling otherwise it rattles like a can of marbles. Definitely better power and nicer 5spd match but it still would drop to 3rd crossing Nevada with a big headwind gust with the resulting 4500rpm screaming which case on those long hauls you back off to get it to stop screaming ?. 15mpg nakid stock sized tires crossing NV at 70-75. The older 4.6 blehh dog city.
My Expedition heavy tow will do 70-75 all day at 2100 ish rpm at 20-21mpg no head winds on stock sized 3peak A/T’s. Wicked bad 30-40mpg head winds 70-75mpg all day 18-19mpg.

rruff

Explorer
And even more fun to drive. Effortless quick acceleration from stop with barely any pedal input.

I'm guessing Ford has the same kind of variable computer-controlled throttle vs pedal connection that my Tundra does... but maybe with more aggressive programming? I rarely drive it hard so on the normal setting I think the computer has decided I'm an old grandma... consequently it feels like a small 4 cyl unless I floor it... then the tires spin and the traction control kicks in and slows it down again... ? :(

For now I press the Tow-Haul button and that helps considerably. But you can buy little gadgets that let you customize the throttle response.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Didn't Ford add that Multi-Displacement/cylinder deactivation thing to the new Coyote like GM and Dodge have done for years (and have had so many issues with?) I see some chatter on the F-150 FB groups about it. Some are even saying that it can't be disabled.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm guessing Ford has the same kind of variable computer-controlled throttle vs pedal connection that my Tundra does... but maybe with more aggressive programming? I rarely drive it hard so on the normal setting I think the computer has decided I'm an old grandma... consequently it feels like a small 4 cyl unless I floor it... then the tires spin and the traction control kicks in and slows it down again... ? :(

For now I press the Tow-Haul button and that helps considerably. But you can buy little gadgets that let you customize the throttle response.
All brands have a driving mode now. Upper trim models get even more modes. I found my Expedition Normal mode which is the default ie every time you start it. Is very comparable to the GM Tahoe/twins regarding throttle input and sensitivity etc. Might be slightly less sensitive once moving but from a stop they are very similar.

Switch to eco mode and everything gets “lazy” good way to describe it. I use ECO mode a bunch when stuck in heavy traffic makes it way easier to creep along vs jack rabbiting like a ping pong ball between front and rear cars etc. basically just makes it easier to drive smooth etc. When I say everything gets lazy. I mean everything the throttle response takes about 3-4 times more input to elicit a similar response to normal mode that uses very little input. Transmission is slower to kick down in eco and runs higher gears on the top end. My Platinum also goes soft in ride quality in Eco which has been nice on crap roads and long trips.

Sport mode is like someone put a teen video gamer racer boy on his 10th Red Bull between the go pedal and your foot. Transmission gets aggressive and holds gears letting rpms peak between 3000-4000rpm which you never see in Normal mode even if your stop light racing people. Transmission stays out of the upper gears , suspension and steering stiffen up, awd mode is automatically on unless you switch it back to 2wd.

Tow mode? Way different than any of the normal non towing modes. Gearing is way different, throttle response is different based on speed just totally different. Not really as nice as Normal mode if your just sans trailer.

Each mode definitely alters a wide range of things especially in the top trim rigs. Way more than just simple throttle sensitivity and gearing changes.

I noticed the 360 drive stuff seems to be a little different between modes but Fords system is far far less intrusive than say Subaru or Tesla so takes a long time to notice that it triggers differently based on mode.

D45

Explorer
5.0L V8 F150
10 speed transmission
3.55 gears
395 HP @ 5,750 rpm
400 TQ @ 4,500 rpm

5.3L V8 Silverado
8 speed transmission
3.42 gears
355 HP @ 5,600 rpm
383 TQ @ 4,100 rpm

My 2012 F150 3.5L would run circles around my 2016 Silverado 5.3L

6 speed transmission
3.73 gears
3.5L V6 213 cid
365 HP @ 5,000
420 TQ @2,500

I'm still not sure about the F150 5.0L

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My 2012 F150 3.5L would run circles around my 2016 Silverado 5.3L

6 speed transmission
3.73 gears
3.5L V6 213 cid
365 HP @ 5,000
420 TQ @2,500

I'm still not sure about the F150 5.0L
My 3.5 is 10 spd 400hp 3.73
Current versions are 400-450 depending on trim.
Its almost comical what tuning and turbos can do now. Anything over 400 its like mehh yeah ok?

Grassland

I've been saying for years now, when the base engine is 280-300 HP in budget trim trucks, we are living in the golden era for ICE vehicles.
If you went back to when I was in highschool and told me the average sedan/compact of the 2020s has 150-180HP 4 cylinder and the average truck was 350-450HP V6, I doubt I'd have believed it.
Running around in my 130hp V6 with 3 speed automatic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior