F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You have to do that every time you start the truck... doesn't seem easy at all...
The modern start stop uses ignition technology no starter its really not that big of a deal you learn to adjust your brake pressure to restart before the green light. In my area idle time definitely hits your average mileage hard. Basically the lowest hanging fruit to improve mileage. Took some getting use to it but don’t even notice it now.

I really like the 10spd as others have said it’s probably the single biggest game changer in performance and mileage.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm wondering how you can turn off an engine... and then restart it without using the starter. Something has to crank the engine, yes? Google didn't help either...
Ignition technology and cylinder position it’s been used for a long time

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I’ve never seen anything that really explains it.
My Ranger definitely just sounds like it uses the starter. I can see the voltage drop on my plug in voltage gauge also.

phsycle

Adventurer
All F150’s and I’m sure Rangers definitely use the starter for Auto-start-stop. All years (where applicable).

There are some euro makers that use transmission based restarts, and I believe some Ford hybrid’s. But not the F150.

skrypj

Found the window sticker, the truck has the 302A Luxury group

36 gallon tank

Not a fan of the 20" tires/wheels, but I think that's also part of the Max Tow option

7050 GVWR package

110V/400W outlet

The XLT FX4 package is nice, exactly what my 2012 had

My 2012 had 3.73 electric locking rear gears with a 6 speed trans (loved it)

This 2020 has 3.55 electric locking rear gears with a 10 speed trans

I don't like the "auto start stop" and why "manual fold" power side mirrors?

20” wheels were needed to get the max max tow for 2018-2020. Basically, you get an additional towing capacity bump on trucks with max tow+20” wheels vs max tow trucks without 20’s

D45

Explorer
I noticed that alot, I mean alot, of the used 2.7L 4WD trucks do NOT have the electric locking rear diff

skrypj

I noticed that alot, I mean alot, of the used 2.7L 4WD trucks do NOT have the electric locking rear diff

I would imagine that is true. TBH, I would way rather have a Truetrac or other helical LSD than the e-locker. I have the locker in my current F150 and its just not all that useful in 99% of the situations you would be in. The Truetracs in my Jeep Liberty were so awesome.

An F150 with the Torsen front diff from the raptor, and some kind of helical in the rear diff, and the 4Auto transfer case would be a super sweet setup.

Last edited:

Dougnuts

I'm wondering how you can turn off an engine... and then restart it without using the starter. Something has to crank the engine, yes? Google didn't help either...

In applications that don’t use the starter (or a hybrid motor) to get the engine spinning, it just spits a little fuel into whatever cylinder is at TDC and ignites it, getting the party started.

Not sure about the 18’s
I know my 19 3.5 is ignition restart.

I don’t think so. I believe it still taps the starter briefly.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My truck had the start / stop deleted by the factory. The wifes Bronco Sport has it. Driving both vehicles, the start / stop doesn't really bother me. But, that's just me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12