F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
@buddha did specify average 2.7 truck. Not the 2.7 w/ payload pkg which would make a difference.

For those that don't know, the 2.7 w/ payload package and an HDPP (which is like a light duty F250) are two very different trucks.

HDPP is only available with the 3.5 or 5.0 & a 6.5' or a 8' box are required.
Yes, you're probably not gonna find a 2.7 payload package on too many lots. I did a local search and found a dealer with one but it didn't exist in real life.
The 2.7 with PP steps you up to the medium frame. The 3.5 with HDPP steps up to the heavy frame.

jbaucom

The 2.7 HDPP most definitely is not barely better than the Ranger. The F150 hdpp is basically a soft F250.
That's basically a special order truck with little cost benefit over a comparably capable 3.5 ecoboost. Most 2.7s on lots are high value trucks that take advantage of the 2.7s low option price and strong performance to sell trucks at a lower price.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
But it doesn't hold lower gears when climbing? That surprises me.

Not as much as I'd like. It seems to really want to shift to a higher gear when climbing, then shift back to a lower gear when it starts to bog down. As a result of all this shifting (I assume) transmission has gotten as hot as 239 degrees on some of the longer, higher passes (like coming up the West side of Monarch, which has a long, steep climb of about 6 miles.)

NoTraxx

I wonder what would happen if we turbo charged a 5.0………Tried a oooggle search and only got some HP numbers. I would like to see the torque #s and at what RPM

calicamper

Expedition Leader
@buddha did specify average 2.7 truck. Not the 2.7 w/ payload pkg which would make a difference.

For those that don't know, the 2.7 w/ payload package and an HDPP (which is like a light duty F250) are two very different trucks.

HDPP is only available with the 3.5 or 5.0 & a 6.5' or a 8' box are required.
2.7 was definitely HDPP last year. I know a few owners. Crazy combo 2.7 with 35gallon fuel tank.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
2.7 was definitely HDPP last year. I know a few owners. Crazy combo 2.7 with 35gallon fuel tank.
That's the 2.7 Payload package. Not the same as HDPP.
The actual HDPP (3.5 or 5.0 only) comes with a few additions over a 2.7PP or a Max Tow 3.5/5.0.

The HDPP is the easiest (and often only) route to get 3.73 gears with the 3.5 Ecoboost.

The HDPP mandates Max Tow, so all of those features are included. Trailer brake controller, rear receiver, bumper, 3/4-float 9.75 rear end, etc.

In addition to the Max Tow features, the HDPP ensures that the HDPP frame is installed in lieu of the LD or HD frames. The HDPP frame is the thickest and stiffest frame available.

The HDPP also installs the stiffest rate rear springs, which are not available in any other configuration, including Max Tow. They are 2+1 leaves similar to the lighter duty Max Tow (non-HDPP) springs, but are thicker and have higher stiffness/load capacity. HDPP always results in a RGAWR of 4800 lbs. Most non-HDPP models are rated to 4150 RGAWR or less, sometimes as low as 3400. (Certain Powerboost models are rated at 4350 due to the significant additional weight of the electric powertrain components, but the payload is still very low.)

The HDPP also mandates the use of one of the top two or three stiffness front springs, depending upon the cab/bed configuration. This also provides additional front end load support for the heavier frame, powertrain, etc. It also provides more FGAWR headroom for heavy front end accessories like grille guards, bumpers, plows, etc. The front end also usually bears a small amount of the bed weight as the 8-foot bed is centered forward of the rear axle. I believe it usually uprates FGAWR to 3750 lbs, but in the case of the regular cab it might be 3450. Diesel models might go a bit higher.

Finally, the HDPP provides the legal 7850 lbs GVWR that ensures that loading up to that amount is of minimal liability and a non-issue legally.

That being said, the 2.7 Payload package is an impressive package if you want a 2.7 with an approx 1,600 lbs payload capacity.

For someone who isn't towing heavy, it's a great way to get a capable fullsize that still has great fuel economy.

HDPP is usually 2,400 for a well equipped XLT 301a Supercrew 6.5" box and more for lesser equipped models.

Lol, I did a lot of research on 2.7 Payload Package vs HDPP before I ordered my truck.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter

That being said, the 2.7 Payload package is an impressive package if you want a 2.7 with an approx 1,600 lbs payload capacity.

Is 1600 lbs payload that impressive though?

My 3.5 has (according to the window sticker) a 7000# GVWR package.

Since I bought it out of state, before I could register it I had to get it weighed. (unfortunately, I didn't know that before I had the fiberglass topper put on. If I had, I would have had it weighed without the topper.)

However, it still weighed in (at a licensed/bonded "official" state weigh facility) at just under 5500 lbs without me in the truck. If you figure that the cab-high fiberglass topper probably weighs at LEAST 200 lbs (and 250 would be my guess) that means an unloaded vehicle weight of under 5300 lbs. This is for a crew-cab short bed 4x4.

A 7000# GVWR would then mean a 1700# payload.

jbaucom

My run-of-the-mill 5.0 has a payload above 1900 lbs. The 2.7 payload package brings some decent hardware to the 2.7 trucks, like the 9.75" rear axle and a heavier frame, but it just brings the GVWR and payload to parity with standard 5.0 and 3.5TT trucks.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My run-of-the-mill 5.0 has a payload above 1900 lbs. The 2.7 payload package brings some decent hardware to the 2.7 trucks, like the 9.75" rear axle and a heavier frame, but it just brings the GVWR and payload to parity with standard 5.0 and 3.5TT trucks.
Yep. Just a way to get a payload bump for when it's needed and try and get better fuel mileage when unloaded.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Is 1600 lbs payload that impressive though?

My 3.5 has (according to the window sticker) a 7000# GVWR package.

Since I bought it out of state, before I could register it I had to get it weighed. (unfortunately, I didn't know that before I had the fiberglass topper put on. If I had, I would have had it weighed without the topper.)

However, it still weighed in (at a licensed/bonded "official" state weigh facility) at just under 5500 lbs without me in the truck. If you figure that the cab-high fiberglass topper probably weighs at LEAST 200 lbs (and 250 would be my guess) that means an unloaded vehicle weight of under 5300 lbs. This is for a crew-cab short bed 4x4.

A 7000# GVWR would then mean a 1700# payload.
My heavy tow pack Expedition has a 1700lb sticker load capacity. The Ford Maverick is pushing 1700 also.

The basic F150 doesn’t have magically impressive payload numbers.
You need to filter through the 150 iterations to sort out the heavy pay load trucks vs the typical basic stuff.
The heavy package trucks get different rear ends, and other stuff that makes them more than just a standard version with a heavier tow bar

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.

For someone who isn't towing heavy, it's a great way to get a capable fullsize that still has great fuel economy.

HDPP is usually 2,400 for a well equipped XLT 301a Supercrew 6.5" box and more for lesser equipped models.

Lol, I did a lot of research on 2.7 Payload Package vs HDPP before I ordered my truck.
What configuration did you end up with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke