F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

jbaucom

I have a 2019 5.0L. I have had no problems with the engine so far and it doesn't seem to be burning any oil (a quart at most between 5,000 mi oil changes), but I'm wondering about the transmission. I'll often notice shifts that seem louder and/or clunkier than I'd expect - at least compared to everything else I have owned in the past. Not sure if that's just par for the course with the new 10 speeds, or if this is a problem.

Might be time for a transmission fluid exchange. I had the dealer drop the pan, drain & fill, with a filter change at around 50,000 miles on my GM 6-speed and it dramatically improved performance.

rruff

Explorer
Having had the experience of an unexpected breakdown far from home (when the transmission went out in my Suburban in rural Utah in 2019) I know what a PITA that can be.

Unfortunately, having a warranty won't keep that from happening.

Any idea how much it would cost for the recent work you had done?

ricoisme26

2012 F150 5.0 seems to always be 1 quart low, doesn't matter if its 1000 miles after an oil change or at the 5000 mile interval. I keep an eye on it, usually top it off before a trip but always seems to be back to a quart low by the next time i check

D45

Explorer
Even the 5.0L Coyote engines need timing jobs.

It seems to mainly be a problem on the second gen 2015-2017 models.

DTC P0012, rough idle hot, and stalls at stops intermittently.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Just saw some concerning news about the 2018-2020 F150’s with the Gen3 5.0L. Figured this would be a good place to stick a link to the Video.
Definitely something to be aware of when shopping for F150’s.

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

Just saw some concerning news about the 2018-2020 F150’s with the Gen3 5.0L. Figured this would be a good place to stick a link to the Video.
Definitely something to be aware of when shopping for F150’s.
Oil consumption, the fix seems to be a longer dip stick and a PVC valve, might add a overflow can thingy.

Had that basic in my '99 LTD 4x4, never a problem and I assumed the new one would be that same bullet proof engine.

Thanks for posting that, just came from a local dealer and bought a 2020 XL with the 101 extras, all power and getting remote start put on it. It has the 5.0, 4x4, 6.5 bed, that 10 speed tranny is something, now for another build!

D45

Explorer
I found a really nice 2020 F150 XLT FX4, with the Max Tow, spray in liner, dual panel sunroof, 10 speed trans, electric locking 3.55 gears, and the 3.5L Ecoboost

It pretty much has everything my 2012 had and everything I would want

It has 35,000 miles and the price seems decently good at 39k

I might go drive it and see how it performs, since I've never driven a 2020 Max Tow optioned truck

375 horsepower at 5,000 rpm
470 pound-feet at 3,500 rpm

Last edited:

D45

Explorer
Found the window sticker, the truck has the 302A Luxury group

36 gallon tank

Not a fan of the 20" tires/wheels, but I think that's also part of the Max Tow option

7050 GVWR package

110V/400W outlet

The XLT FX4 package is nice, exactly what my 2012 had

My 2012 had 3.73 electric locking rear gears with a 6 speed trans (loved it)

This 2020 has 3.55 electric locking rear gears with a 10 speed trans

I don't like the "auto start stop" and why "manual fold" power side mirrors?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Oil consumption definitely can be oil quality also. The oils and oil standards changed in the US in the early 2000’s. For example Mobile 1 was the Euro standard for the High performance stuff in the US then the US spec stuff switched to a low quality higher volatility base and all the performance shops immediately dropped the Mobile junk.

I ran different stuff in my 3.5 each change 5000 miles max. I did notice some usage with the cheaper stuff. Running a good Valvoline blend now and not seeing any use.

As for the Mobile stuff/story our old VW1.8T literally went from zero usage to 3 quarts in 3000miles in one oil change. I switched that car to a Chevron blend the next change and dropped to zero again. I checked with my local performance shop we used for the Mercedes SLK350 which has like 7 Mobile only stickers all over it. Performance shop and dealer both told me Euro spec Mobile oils were nearly impossible to find in the US after the regulation change and none of them used it due to that. The Merc dealer actually said it caused a huge issue for them as they had to go through a huge oil certification thing with Mercedes HQ to find a alternative. He wouldn’t tell me what they used but said it was a oil company named oil (not a branded 3rd party named oil).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke