F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
You have to do that every time you start the truck... doesn't seem easy at all...
Not on my new 2020, it's pressed in I never pushed it and it doesn't turn off when stopped. Maybe mine is broken? :unsure:

Had to say something to make the 600th post in this thread!

FordGuy1

Adventurer
All F150’s and I’m sure Rangers definitely use the starter for Auto-start-stop. All years (where applicable).

There are some euro makers that use transmission based restarts, and I believe some Ford hybrid’s. But not the F150.
You are correct, they all use the starter.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Forscan I believe can code out the auto/start stop. I have the MPT tune for my Raptor and I had it coded out. It's been much better!

Not as bad as my wife's bmw, that thing will stop as soon as I come to a stop, no hesitation, just stop and boom it's off. Super annoying.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Forscan I believe can code out the auto/start stop. I have the MPT tune for my Raptor and I had it coded out. It's been much better!

Not as bad as my wife's bmw, that thing will stop as soon as I come to a stop, no hesitation, just stop and boom it's off. Super annoying.
You can install a disabler that goes inline with the switch for $50.00. Super easy

Grassland

If it's winter six months a year where you live, it won't ASS most of the time because your luxury truck will have the heated seats, wheel, defroster, and wiper heaters running and the load on the electrical system will be too high to allow the feature.

At least that's the case with my wife's WK2. Come summer anytime I have to drive it I'm reminded how much I hate that feature

phsycle

Adventurer
I wonder how that works after compression bleeds down. Sitting at long traffic light or example.
In fairness, l dunno how long a cylinder will hold compression...
I expect then at least it has a backup function on the regular starter.

I’m assuming, just like any other ASS, it’ll start back up before that happens. Just an assumption.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I’m assuming, just like any other ASS, it’ll start back up before that happens. Just an assumption.
I am sure it exists, but I don't know of any vehicles that uses anything but the starter to restart at a stop. I cant imagine relying on fuel alone to start a engine. the liability alone would be crazy.

phsycle

Adventurer
I am sure it exists, but I don't know of any vehicles that uses anything but the starter to restart at a stop. I cant imagine relying on fuel alone to start a engine. the liability alone would be crazy.

Yeah, I’m unsure of the system mentioned in the other post. The only ones I’m aware of is in hybrids where an electric motor spins the crankshaft (Prius).

NoTraxx

I have been looking at 5star tuning, one of the options is to turn off the ASS.
Speaking of tuning, there are some really big gains to be had in the 3.5 EB.

D45

Explorer
Do all motor platforms have the annoying start/stop feature, or just the 5.0L?

The 5.0 has cylinder deactivation, but the 2.7L and 3.5L shouldn't, right?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Our 2023 MAVERICK 2.0 Eco-Boost and 2023 BRONCO 2.3 Eco-Boost have cylinder deactivation.

Easy override with the push of a button on console/dash OR you can order a kit online that will always deactivate it without any effort on your part.

rruff

Explorer
Easy override with the push of a button on console/dash OR you can order a kit online that will always deactivate it without any effort on your part.
I think that is true of the 5.0 as well. With the popularity of the F150, I'd be surprised if you couldn't mod the electronic behavior extensively with aftermarket, if Ford doesn't make it easy.

I bought a throttle controller for my Tundra and I'm thinking about getting a mod to automatically set the traction control on startup. I can't abide a vehicle that refuses to turn the wheels just because it's lost traction...

Dougnuts

Our 2023 MAVERICK 2.0 Eco-Boost and 2023 BRONCO 2.3 Eco-Boost have cylinder deactivation.

Cylinder deactivation, or auto-start stop? Those are not the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier