F150 Instrument Cluster/Speedometer

Jb1rd

Explorer
Well I bought the 2003 F150 super crew lariat as an interim vehicle until I can get what I really want, the truck runs great but it has a bit of rough idle then smooths right out with acceleration, any ideas, vacuum leak, coils? The speedometer is not working at all but when you put it into test mode the needle will sweep. So all together the odometer, speedometer, cruise control, and overdrive are not working it seems to be related. I did a google search and the best I can come up with is that its a bad cluster, has anyone had to deal with this? The truck was in such good shape and I got it at such a good price that I bought it knowing I may need to put a little money into would obviously like to keep it as little as possible so I can buy goodie:sombrero:
TIA

Last edited:

Jb1rd

Explorer
Try going to f150forum.com they may be able tohelp.
Went there and searched the threads and there was a bunch of postings all pointing to different solutions. I am hoping I have it narrowed down to a bad VSS, taking it to the Mech on Thursday for a check up and should know then, I will report back :)

Jb1rd

Explorer
Not good so far, got a call that cylinder 6 had a helicoil and they are trying to recoil and then do a compression test to make sure it has good compression, that was 3-4 hours ago, I am getting nervous. Don't even know about the speedo issue yet. Send good thoughts.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Replaced VSS AND ABS Sensors still no speedo

tried the test mode (hold trip reset and turn ignition to run) this revealed that the needle for the speedometer does sweep from zero to max and back, could it still be the cluster? Is there something I am missing (besides a brain for not having a mechanic inspect before buying)? FWIW the odometer lights up but does not work and all other gauges seem to be functioning correctly, I posted in FTE but they do not seem as active or helpful as all the fine folks here in the Portal.

kenn_chan

try the GEM thats under the dash by the windshield, seems that most of the threads on f150.net, and the fordtruckforum all point to that as an area of concern. the glass develops a leak and then the GEM shorts out (GEM generic control module)

ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94