f150 Sleeper

Kottonwood

Adventurer
Here is my last day in Chiapas Mexico. I was camped out in a paradise with hippies that are making there way to Guatemala by horseback. They were always blown away whenever they needed something I was like "oh I have that right here" haha lot's of good times. I am in honduras now, truck is stored and I am headed out to the bay islands for some diving.

2r47eoi.jpg

Coscienceguy

Observer
Backs seat dog bed?

Did you do anything special for the dog bed in the back seat? I have a crew cab with bins that somewhat match the height of the seat for our two dogs, but was just trying to get some ideas on any special set ups. Thanks

Kottonwood

Adventurer
awesome truck!

lots of fuel, lots of water, and not too many frills, too cool! have fun down there!

That's what I am all about, function over form. I definitely think some lockers will be in my future.

As far as the cap insulation there is none, I much prefer it this way, it would be way to hot in this weather. In the winter I just use my big sleeping bag and I can sleep in whatever conditions.

For the dog bed I just hung a canvas tarp between the two seats to make a hammock. There are comercially available ones if you search dog hammock on ebay or amazon. It makes it much more comfortable and safe for the dog.

Kottonwood

Adventurer
So It has been a while since I updated this. I got back to the states about a month ago after some months of gallavanting around central america. After months of living and traveling in my truck I decided on some upgrades that were neccessary. I have some pics but not of everything.

First on my list was fixing the stereo, the used amp I had put it in crapped the bed just after crossing the US border (convenient timing at least). I decided to utilize this to upgrade my speakers and head unit as well, plus run a new switch panel into the dash to control, an air compressor, lockers, winches, the fuel, and the lights.

Next I decided to upgrade my tires to 35s (got a screaming deal on a barely used set).... Then came the gears and lockers. I decided to go with 4.56 and I am very happy with the 35s it is the perfect combo for this truck, puts me slightly lower than my stock tires and 373 gears. I went with the arb air locker for the back and a truetrac in front. It works nicely with the automatic hubs the truetrac is only engaged when in 4x4. The arb is the only selectable locker available for this truck, I would have prefered an elocker but oh well.... The both perform awesome. Unfortunately I cant seem to find any of the pics I did of the install. The job ended up taking me three days, I did the whole thing in my tree service parking lot outdoors... fun stuff. Only reason it took so long is I had to order some shims and some new o rings for the air locker (oops).

After that I drove east to see my bro in boston and hang with family and friends in NY where I am now. I decided to take advantage of my dads welder and grinder to make a rear bumper and throw a winch on the back. I ended up picking up a brand new badlands winch (harbor freight) for a hundred bucks with no solenoid. I already had a spare solid state so no issues there. I also built the bumper to hold all of my recovery gear.

I have also revamped some of my wiring, I orginally had my battery in the bed and it was a real pain to get too. I thought there was no way to mount two batteries under the hood which is why I did it that way... however I found a dual battery tray for two optimas that bolts right it... wish I knew about that a year ago.

Only a few things left to do now, I got a superchip on the way in to get a few more mpgs and bring my speedo to normal. Also gotta finish up making a center console that goes over the safe in the center, also gotta put some locks on the new bumper and finish wiring in the winch. Also I ordered a lighted license plate bracket so that is not the final resting place of my license plate in the pic.

Doing the stereo install.... yeah I know its a mess... I am still living in my truck you know!
wkn2nk.jpg

29sjko.jpg

Heres the bumper
xm23c8.jpg

25g5c45.jpg

2zh1pg2.jpg

2h6elxt.jpg

Thats it for pics for now... hopefully Ill get some up of some of the other things I have been working on

Kottonwood

Adventurer
Very. Nice truck. How do those Moog ball joints work for you?

Just wanted to give an update on the moogs. They have been great. I drove over 20k miles through central america hitting potholes and speedbumps constantly at certainly to fast a speed. Anyways I just had the front end yanked apart to do the gears in the front so I replaced my stock uppers (had over 120k on em) when I was in there. The moogs were as new, absolutely no play. I lube them every time I do an oil change. I also replaced all my bearing and seals when I was in there but I was very surprised to see the ones I took out in very good condition.... built ford tough. Thats why I decided not to blow a ton of cash on custom UCAs... if it ain't broke dont fix it... I look forward to the next 120k on my stock 80 dollar ucas. also my shocks are still original.... they have no leaks and ride great...

Rustlin'

That rear bumper looks great, as well as the rest of the truck. Ill come back to this thread as I build mine. Simple, rugged and geared right. How has the adventuring been? Youve been around man, sounds exciting.

Kottonwood

Adventurer
Hey Rustlin, Thanks for using your first post to comment on my rig. The adventuring has been great! Next one will be around the world, starting this winter.

As far as an update on the truck, the lockers are great! Went out to some dunes here in RI and got my fourwheeling on. The video is not the most extreme but I don't think anything stock is getting up that hill (others tried). And in case you're wondering, yes that is a hang glider on my roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnclOQ0fCyw&feature=youtu.be

Also I will be at overland expo east showing my truck on saturday morning. I look forward to meeting some of the folks from here and their rigs!

RWB_F150

Observer
I know you haven't been on this site in a while, so this a shot in the dark.
What did you do to mount the winch for the front?
I saw on your rear bumper build it almost looks like you used a universal mounting plate from smittybuilt, then built around that? Thanks man, safe travels.

And if anyone else could give me some insight on how I could do a hidden bumper mount that would be awesome

Raul B

Explorer
I know you haven't been on this site in a while, so this a shot in the dark.
What did you do to mount the winch for the front?
I saw on your rear bumper build it almost looks like you used a universal mounting plate from smittybuilt, then built around that? Thanks man, safe travels.

And if anyone else could give me some insight on how I could do a hidden bumper mount that would be awesome
I know for mine I just bought the rough country hidden winch mount bracket.....

TSAdventurez

Blogger/Adventurer
For 04-05 f150s like mine warn has a bolt in hidden winch kit for them, which can also be modified to fit 06-08 models as well. Or something else custom (kottenwood's is a great example of this)
09-14 f150s is much easier and cheaper as there is more room up front and several venders offer mounts. (Raul's is a great example of this)
Your other options would be something custom. And for the rear either a removable hitch mounted system or a bumper like kottenwood's is a great option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier