F150 vs Tundra....I’ll make a decision tomorrow

D

Deleted member 9101

Of course,then there’s this:
“The F-150 is stout enough for the 3.5 and its turbos, but I'd recommend getting a truck with full-time four-wheel-drive (aka, all-wheel-drive), because 470 lb-ft. of torque can and will fry the rear tires. Unladen, the F-150 is now a terror at drag strips. Seriously. It's not quite as quick as a Mustang GT, but it's not terribly far behind, either.”

Interestingly, Fords 4x4 system disengages when you hit something like 40mph... Thus freeing up HP to turn the rear wheels and eliminating the parasitic drag of the front axle.

Also, they are nasty when launched properly in 4 high.

Even being 2wd, on street tires, I can consistently run mid 13s with zero trouble. Toss in methonal injection, drag radials, and a more aggressive tune and I'd hit the low 13s.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Interestingly, Fords 4x4 system disengages when you hit something like 40mph... Thus freeing up HP to turn the rear wheels and eliminating the parasitic drag of the front axle.

Even being 2wd, on street tires, I can consistently run mid 13s with zero trouble. Toss in methonal injection, drag radials, and a more aggressive tune and I'd hit the low 13s.
Seriously?!?

Sounds like a flaming turd....

Please, please, please cite where I said that the all mighty Tundra was not reliable. Please do it, stop with the insults and cite where I said that.

Haha! Seriously? In response to my comment on page 3 that said "Inferior? Not in long term reliability; the Tundra is superior there", you said in post #31:

I'm just going to throw the BS flag on that.

and you said the data that shows Toyota makes the most reliable truck is nonsense in post #51:

I love how offended Toyota owners get when someone pushes back against their "mAuh YotAh iSdA moOsT rEliAbLe tRucK" nonsense.

So, that's twice when you have refused to accept that the Tundra is the most reliable truck. I'm fully able to accept where the F150 excels (towing, payload, features, mpg, like I said before).

All I've been saying is you have no long term data on the newest generation of the F150. At most you have 4 years, but in all reality its 1 since Ford changed things in 2018. So you have 1 years worth of data to judge long term reliability... Neither amount of time constitutes "long term."

Also, you unlike you I can speak from 1st hand experience with both trucks... Thus far your first hand experience is exactly zero, zip, zilch, nada.

Also, stop advertising for your website.

Lastly, welcome to the"ignore" button.

That's NOT all you've been saying. You've been making unsubstantiated claims such as the ones I've quoted you on throughout this thread. I got roped into this because some other guy said the Tundra is junk, lol. Also, Dashboard Light is not my site. Because it is a no-BS, non-biased aggregator of long term metrics, I do refer everyone I can to it. Lots of vehicles are far less reliable over the long term than one would think. And you'll notice in post #29 I was quoting from their page that I linked to; I was not speaking as if DL is my site because it isn't.

Also not sure where I insulted you. Unless you count pointing out your ridiculous claims that go against the data and laughing at the idea that your experience with 4 trucks trumps DL's data from 146k (and counting) trucks as insulting. If you remember, I also said I actually like F150s. I might buy one. But it won't be because I'm under the delusion that it's the most reliable truck out there.

Glad you're done now. I'm done, too. Enjoy your F150. ?

dave1014

Adventurer

Fords 4x4 system does not disengage over 40mph. Thats only in the lariat trucks equipped with the borg warner automatic t case and only if it doesnt detect wheel slip

The rest remain in 4x4 as long as the switch is in 4 hi.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Fords 4x4 system does not disengage over 40mph. Thats only in the lariat trucks equipped with the borg warner automatic t case and only if it doesnt detect wheel slip

The rest remain in 4x4 as long as the switch is in 4 hi.
To clarify, the Lariat will kick you out of 4x4 in the 4A position if travelling over 40 mph if it detects wheel slippage? Am I understanding that correctly?

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Now we’re talking about nissans? Someone PLEASE PLEASE close this thread!:)
I was gonna say... Haha, how did that even get brought up? Two more gears, the same engine that's been around for nearly two decades, and a revamp on the interior? Ground breaking stuff, lol.

Costs the same as a Tundra, is largely avoided because time after time it has the WORST fuel economy in class. Don't get me wrong, I used to be a Nissan guy and the VK56 is an amazing motor. It's still the last truck aside from a Dodge I'd ever consider. They're also the ugliest truck in the market by a long shot.

Runt

Adventurer
At work we have them all. See them all on the hoist. See the Tundra the least. The mechanics raves about the larger wheel bearings, lighter front end (= less front end wear & tear), bigger brakes, longer and larger springs, ease of obtaining parts, no electrical issues and all around less service issues. You can't argue that over the long run the Tundra is a better vehicle! However the new Ford F150's have more interior space, a nicer interior and.....that's about it. Basically if you want something that lasts you should buy a Tundra if not buy Ford, Dodge or Chevrolet...they all make decent product. Toyota only makes the most reliable.

Runt

Adventurer
At work we have them all. Ford F150 4 doors with the 5.0 L, Dodge 1500 4 doors with hemi 5.7 L and the Toyota Tundra's with the 5.7 L. See them all on the hoist.....see the Tundra the least. The mechanics rave about the larger wheel bearings, lighter front end (= less front end wear & tear), bigger brakes, longer and larger springs, ease of obtaining wrecking yard parts due to length of little redesign, no electrical issues and all around less service issues. You can't argue that over the long run the Tundra is a better vehicle! However the new Ford F150's have more interior space in a 6.5' box configuration, a nicer interior and the 5.0 L is a good motor.....that's about it....but that's alot! Basically if you want something that lasts you should buy a Tundra if not buy Ford, Dodge or Chevrolet...they all make decent product. Toyota only makes the most reliable. That's my 2 cents.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

At work we have them all. See them all on the hoist. See the Tundra the least. The mechanics raves about the larger wheel bearings, lighter front end (= less front end wear & tear), bigger brakes, longer and larger springs, ease of obtaining parts, no electrical issues and all around less service issues. You can't argue that over the long run the Tundra is a better vehicle! However the new Ford F150's have more interior space, a nicer interior and.....that's about it. Basically if you want something that lasts you should buy a Tundra if not buy Ford, Dodge or Chevrolet...they all make decent product. Toyota only makes the most reliable.

The Tundra has larger brakes...but it has a longer stopping distance than the F150.

The Tundra has larger rear springs...but it's rated to tow and haul less than the F150.

The Tundra has larger wheel bearings... But they are no more reliable than those on the F150.

The Tundra also uses significantly more fuel, rides/handles like it's from the 1970s, it's towing performance is laughable when compared to the 2.7 or 3.5, it cost thousands more to buy, cost more to insure, replacement parts cost more, and has the worse safety ratings of any full size truck.

I'll gladly take the small statistical hit in reliability to get a truck that's better in every other category.

jonathon

Shoot, enough gnashing of teeth here I’ll throw my two cents in. My opinion is there isn’t a terrible truck on the market right now, figure out your needs and then shop for what fits.

I love Toyota’s and appreciate their conservative approach to vehicles. I love simple and Toyota is simple. That said for me I set my goal at crew cab 6.5’ bed, 2k payload, and 10k towing, which pretty much excludes a Tundra. Toyota needs to upgrade the frame, offer a 6.5 bed with the crew max, and refresh the power train. To call the 3URFE outdated is disingenuous. Reality is the big 3 are still running the same V8’s with relatively minor tweaks like direct injection and tuning. The big advances have been to transmissions and gearing.

I myself recent drove a Titan XD and honestly really enjoyed it. Definitely worth a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles