F250 v 10

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Hi guys want to see what everyone think of a 99 v10 gas . Good ,bad how long do engines go . Looked at a nice one owner with 175k any thoughts and anyone that owns one could give me feed back . Thx

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Top to bottom it is a fantastic and reliable setup.

Only downside is fuel economy.

I wouldnt sweat 175k.

Its a sound motor provided it doesnt suffer from any spark plug issues and are easily good for 300k

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Excellent engine. In 2005ish Ford traded stone cold reliability for power. Any of the older V10's are good to go. The later 3v engines are faster, but have all the plug and phaser problems.

The 2 valve V10 is one of the finest engines out there. You have to really put your foot down to get the most from it though. Don't fear the gear. You should budget for a rebuild for the engine and the transmission, just in case. No matter how good, 175 is 175. I've seen V10's go over 275 easy enough though.

murphy744

Adventurer
I had an 03', super reliable, didn't leak a drop, tons of power. The mileage was horrible, traded for a cummins 5.9l.

If you can live the the mileage, go for it, you won't regret it.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I have a 2004 F250 Supercab, with about 104,000 miles on it. It was a commercial vehicle. and I bought it used at 97,000 miles. I had all the steering joints and gear box replaced, but other than that no problems at all. I runs like a champ, but only gets 8.5 - 9 mph no matter what I do to it.

I also have a fairly heavy A.R.E. Camper Shell on it...

HPIM1386.jpg

glock7018

Excellent engine. In 2005ish Ford traded stone cold reliability for power. Any of the older V10's are good to go. The later 3v engines are faster, but have all the plug and phaser problems.

The 2 valve V10 is one of the finest engines out there. You have to really put your foot down to get the most from it though. Don't fear the gear. You should budget for a rebuild for the engine and the transmission, just in case. No matter how good, 175 is 175. I've seen V10's go over 275 easy enough though.

This is incorrect. 3V engines do not have cam phasers. Also the only plug problems is that they like to break off upon removal. They fixed this problem around 08. 08 to 10 are the best years for a Ford V10. I have a 08 F250 and I love it.

For the OP. If you can afford it, try and find a 05+ 3V V10. But if that 2V is in your price range i say go for it.

JSwanson

Observer
I had an 01 v10 4.30 gearsexcursion i bought with 172k on it similar story to yours it was a 1 owner original plugs and coils in it. I replaced them and didnt have a problem. In my opinion people over tighten the plugs when they replace them. Mileage was 9-10mpg 7-8 when towing a trailer. One thing to make it beter for me was a tuner and new y pipe. Look up 5 star tuning for these the factory y pipe chokes the engine down considerably it goes from like 2.5 to 1.5 before the front pipe. After i had the tuner and a shop weld in a new y pipe i was getting 11mpg and 9 towing best $500 i spent on the truck and less than $100 for a shop to weld in the pipe. 1 mpg isnt a whole lot but it was a 10% increse and the truck shifted and just drove better with the tune/pipe. You'll never get good mpg out of a v10 but the power is wonderful. Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

patoz

Expedition Leader
A couple of things I forgot mention are, even after 100,000 miles in a commercial application and being right at 12 years old, the cab is still very tight with no dust leaks or rattles and the truck still has a nice quiet smooth ride.

Edit: As mentioned there is a known problem with the spark plugs blowing out due to metal fatigue affecting the aluminum threads in the block, especially #3. So to be fair, you might want to read through these complaints: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_spark.html

And here are some repair options: http://castingrepair.locknstitch.com/category/spark-plug-hole-thread-inserts/

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Had over 200k on one of them in an Excursion. Carted kids around and towed with it. Long road trips are great.

But like said, MPG sucks. Once the spark plug issue is resolved you are good to go.

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Ok looked at it again seen antifreeze leak at intake is that a big deal?other wise nice truck needs tailgate and one spot rust fixed . New tires ,new brakes and other work over years he wants 4000k I was going to make offer . What do you guys think

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I had an anti freeze leak on my 5.4l V8 (similar motors from what I know) and it was a cracked intake manifold. Very common problem in the 1st gen Expedition 5.4l. Not sure if it's the same on the V10s of similar years. Easy fix on the 5.4s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz