F350 as Dakar support vehicle

haven

Expedition Leader
Pickuptrucks.com has an interesting article about a fellow who set up three F350s as support vehicles for the recently concluded Dakar rally. The trucks act as support vehicles for several motorcycle competitors.

dakar-f350.jpg

The trucks are not highly modified from stock form. They use the 7.3L V8 Powerstroke diesel engine, stock transmission, bigger fuel tank, upgraded springs in front and airbags in the rear, upgraded sway bars and Bilstein shocks. The trucks use 285/75-16 BFG 10 ply T/As, and reportedly have never had a flat tire during the race. The first support truck now has 130,000 miles of use.

Here's the article

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/0...-chasing-the-race-with-ford-super-duties.html

Chip Haven

Tree

Adventurer
Sweet rig... I hear only good things about the 7.3 diesel, thats probably why they went with it instead of the 6L

Geronimo

Observer
Support trucks require full padded roll cage and race seats/harnesses. They have all the electronics the race cars have. Costs serious money to race Dakar.
358798899_b82eb97070_o.jpg
[/IMG]
117174941-L.jpg

0113-8.jpg

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
As the owner of a 2001 F250, there is NO way I would trust the stock auto transmission in that scenario, and that ride would be bumpy as all get out!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
hmmm, buying an ex-dakar support truck...I think that would actually be a worse idea than buying an ex-rental mustang...:elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior