F550 Camper Cabover with pop top allows roof access

HAF

I am building a camper that will be fitted to my F550. Goal was to keep the top of camper as low as possible. With a low profile-a little over 10 foot, the cab over suffers limited height. I have slept in minimal profile cab overs and find they are a bit stuffy. My solution is the provide the cab over with a hinged roof that provides more livable space. My plan is to have a zippered access door out the back that will allow easy access to roof to tie stuff down or clean solar panels. At present I am looking for a company that can fabricate the soft sides.

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpeg
    IMG_0279.jpeg
    949.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0284.jpeg
    IMG_0284.jpeg
    797.3 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0291.jpeg
    IMG_0291.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0292.jpeg
    IMG_0292.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0285.jpeg
    IMG_0285.jpeg
    814.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0168.jpeg
    IMG_0168.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0163.jpeg
    IMG_0163.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 178

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Awesome idea! Great clean work!

2 things

-What windows are those?

-Are you going to have something in the front to cover that hinged area? I'd guess it would provide a ton of wind noise.

HAF

Awesome idea! Great clean work!

2 things

-What windows are those?

-Are you going to have something in the front to cover that hinged area? I'd guess it would provide a ton of wind noise.
The windows, door and roof window are all Outbound. I have tried the Dometic-Seitz units. They are ok, howver, this build has 2" thick foam-aluminum walls with 1" composite inside. Thats much to thick for Seitz. The Outbound windows can be ordered for your wall thickness. I have these such that the inside of the OB flange is flush with inside of wall. A better way to do it, would be to have the flange stick past the wall say 1/4" That will allow an easier way to caulk around opening. The front has a flange on either side suited for a crossbar to mount extra lights and stuff. Once that' in, I will test for noise and see what happens.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The windows, door and roof window are all Outbound. I have tried the Dometic-Seitz units. They are ok, howver, this build has 2" thick foam-aluminum walls with 1" composite inside. Thats much to thick for Seitz. The Outbound windows can be ordered for your wall thickness. I have these such that the inside of the OB flange is flush with inside of wall. A better way to do it, would be to have the flange stick past the wall say 1/4" That will allow an easier way to caulk around opening. The front has a flange on either side suited for a crossbar to mount extra lights and stuff. Once that' in, I will test for noise and see what happens.

Awesome! Thanks

Amazing work!

Reactions: HAF

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I considered such a design very early on my the design stages of our camper.

Though I ditched it in favor of a fixed high roof, as I couldn't convince myself, or the wife, that that the leak potential, right over the BED was worth the risk.

I look forward to the final setup of yours though. From here it looks like you have a sweet build going (y)

Lwing

I was told the higher the roof the more inclined your wife is, lol
What panels are you using, and I'll be googling starboard?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne