F550 Surf Camper Build - Adrift in the Green Room

Finally got the rig mostly back together and did a test run this last weekend.

The new coating/color is a combo of Line-x products. The Mercedes blue grey color is Line-x Ultra, which is a lighter weight formulation of the standard version. Weight wise it is better, also UV stable, but its a little softer than I'd like. The black is the standard line-x, topcoated with Ultra for UV stability.

After the Overland Explorer debacle, the truck was rebuilt from the ground up in house. New subframe is steel and very strong, new storage boxes and lockers. I did everything in solidworks and had it sent out for laser cutting, then had a local shop bend it and weld it (my tig skills are pretty so so). Managed to shave almost 2k lbs off the rig by taking their flatbed and associated stuff off the rig, also much more rigid now.

New suspension from Deaver has required a little adjustment to get right, but now that its done is really impressive. Good articulation and rides like a caddy at 80mph.

Final weight loaded to the gills is a little over 14k.

Still to come are the outdoor kitchen pullouts. A few images.

Last edited:
Here is one with the forward accordion wall all the way down:

and all the way up:

The front wall is powered by a small linear actuator from firgelli and has 18" of travel. When the main roof goes up and down, it passively leaves the front sealed through a series of pulleys and .125" amsteel blue winch line. Using the actuator allows it to lower. To come is a screen attachment for the front so we can leave it open when its buggy out.

You've been busy! It looks really good with the Line-x and colors!

I think your rig is pretty amazing and the idea you had behind it. Everything is really coming together, I bet it feels good to get the rear structure squared around too. I don't know of another rig that you have that kind of openness at all, bet the fresh air is amazing....and the ability to collapse down when traveling and having the low CG is pretty awesome. Good job with it!

Also on a side note I had my truck balanced by Nate's Tire last month, that guy is amazing. Truck is riding well now. Its hard to find guys like him and his son anymore.

java

Expedition Leader
That looks GREAT! Glad to see it back together.

How are you liking the wheel/tire combo? Did you regear (or whats your R&P ratio)?

You've been busy! It looks really good with the Line-x and colors!

I think your rig is pretty amazing and the idea you had behind it. Everything is really coming together, I bet it feels good to get the rear structure squared around too. I don't know of another rig that you have that kind of openness at all, bet the fresh air is amazing....and the ability to collapse down when traveling and having the low CG is pretty awesome. Good job with it!

Also on a side note I had my truck balanced by Nate's Tire last month, that guy is amazing. Truck is riding well now. Its hard to find guys like him and his son anymore.
Yeah, they are the best. Total game changer in my driving experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks GREAT! Glad to see it back together.

How are you liking the wheel/tire combo? Did you regear (or whats your R&P ratio)?
Fairly happy with them, still wish there was a good choice with an appropriate capacity in a 39” tire. I stuck with the stock 4:88s which puts my final ratio at ~3:77. Perfect for long freeway runs, turns about 2k rpm at 80mph. Def need 4low on really steep off-road grades though. Plenty of pep off the line, even with the gasser.

java

Expedition Leader
Fairly happy with them, still wish there was a good choice with an appropriate capacity in a 39” tire. I stuck with the stock 4:88s which puts my final ratio at ~3:77. Perfect for long freeway runs, turns about 2k rpm at 80mph. Def need 4low on really steep off-road grades though. Plenty of pep off the line, even with the gasser.

Thanks! Yeah I wish there was something smaller too.... Not much under 42" sadly. I believe I have 4.30's Which would probably be a stretch.