fabricated console ideas

robert

Expedition Leader
Try to avoid sharp/square edges when possible, banging up against them in an accident is uncomfortable. One of my friends has build a few for various cars over the years. He'd carve what he wanted out of Styrofoam, usually built over some sort of frame, glass over it then dissolve the foam with solvent. I've seen folks do similar using vacuum bagging too.
 

Kraqa

Member
moar progress.

i added another mount to the cutting brakes to pick up another factory mount.




i also decided that i didn't need to remake the front of the console since i'm not changing anything, so i'm going to make a hybrid using the front portion of the factory unit.


which means i'm modifying my original aluminum frame



I cut it here and added this new piece



then onto more fab work









this is a full 3" wider then stock. it fills the gaps between the seats nicely.







i think it blended into the factory front quite nice.







i am looking forward to the cardboard part of this doing all the templates for the skins.

i also haven't sorted out the lid yet.
 

Kraqa

Member
I got to play with some poster board today.

Cup holders will fit a yeti 8ball they will also be super deep so the drinks dont fall over like the stock one.

 

Kraqa

Member
i got to the assembly today.















it wasn't as bad as i thought to weld the 1/2" and 3/8" round bar to the .063" aluminum. no burn through yet.
 

Kraqa

Member
i started to weld and rad out of rod. Wasn't too bad welding .063" to 1/2" round bar.

i need to go get some sanding pads to properly dress the welds and blend everything smooth.





i am by no means a good or even decent tig welder, but i can definitely see an improvement from when i started this to now.

on a side note, Some 24' lengths showed up. 1.9" Handrail tube. this will be for rockers and fender bars.

 

rayra

Expedition Leader
Took out my factory mid console and built a subframe radio (CB and HAM) rack. Then made upholstered and padded exterior panels for it.
My vehicle is a daily driver in Los Angeles. Most of my mods are low / no visibility. Thieves around here smash windows to steal 3rd row seats, too,

 

Kraqa

Member
that looks rad. i like the rolling cover!!!


some more progress, ran out of gas today.





I'm pretty hapy how my tig welding has come along in this project.





Heres a shot to show panel fitment prior to welding









This has inspired me to make a few dollies for my vise.
 

rayra

Expedition Leader
Yeah your 'stacking dimes' are looking pretty good, minus the wandering. The interval and penetration are real good. I presume you are going to grind it all smooth / flush, later? Or leaving it as is?

/I need a proper TIG rig, dig? My welding skills are 30yrs stale and they weren't that good to begin with. Oxy and Arc, strong welds, good penetration, but they looked like bird crap. I got a whole lot better building things in wood. Some day I'll step up my welding game and start blending the two skillsets together. I'm already missing the 'barn chic' furniture train. I got a crappy little Harbor Freight 90amp flux wire welder and some good wire to use with it, a few months ago. Did some rudimentary office chair bracket repairs and some strap steel experiements, can finally lay a bead with it. But it doesn't have the power to weld thicker plate for upcoming vehicle projects. Afraid I'm going to have to put down some real money for a proper welder later this year.
 

Kraqa

Member
ya i'm blending the whole thing, i've been welding for 16 years but i haven't done much TIG.

got it fully welded, sanded with 36 grit and then i hit it with an orbital with 220 to see th low spots.







i need to fill a few low spots, cut the top for the storage compartment, build a lid, build cup holders, power outlets, and mounts.
 

rayra

Expedition Leader
heh, starting to look like you could have used a Milodon or Moroso aluminum racing oil pan set upside down and done a cut-out for the differential brakes.

 

Kraqa

Member
I got a chance to work on the front mounts.

I made 2 of these on a drill press an used a modified 3/8" drill bit to made the counter bore with a flat bottom.





the cap screw head sticks up the material thickness of the console skins.

welded to the back side



from the top




nice and flush



i made some plates with captive nuts welded to the bottom of the tranny tunnel to bolt to.



i also cleaned up the fitment between the factory console and the new one.





 
Top