Fabrication Question: Home made gutter mounts?

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Alright, I'm going to be lengthening and widening a roof rack that I have, and want to go with gutter mounts.

I've used Yakima 1A towers before on another custom rack I built, but they are expensive.

I've thought about using the Quik 'n Easy mounts, but the 7-3/8" version is too high for my FJ80, and I cannot, for the life of me, fine the 4" high version.

I like ARB's design with the full length rail, but that seems a bit much, considering that you could just make a longer foot and accomplish the same thing.

So, with all of that said, have any of you made your own gutter mounts? Or, can you point me in the right direction to get some info on doing it?

Thanks,

Gavin

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I have a similar issue, only here the only options

are $20 chinese stamped parts or $1000 for an ARB rack..

So I've been rumaging in the garage too,

Planning on doing a full support rail, to insure I don't get uneven loading

How to make...I sold some perfect ones off of a wilderness rack before I left the US...dammit and now I'll have to make some myself as well

venezuela2008327.jpg

venezuela2008328.jpg

vhram

Observer
Something like the old confer type mounts would be pretty easy tp make. ORU Offroad unlimited now makes defender racks which used to be confer. they sell the roof mounts and 1 adjusts between 4-6.5 inches.

Attachments

• confer.JPG
    confer.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 213

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I actually have a Defender rack right now; currently attached with several hose clamps to the factory cross bars of my roof rack.

I intend to remove the factory rack, enlarge the Defender, and add some other nifty items.

I found these over on IH8MUD:

DSC_0384.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

They are made by a guy named Groucho, and retail for about the same as ORU.

Who knows, maybe I'll search Ebay and Craigslist for some 1A mounts.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You beat me to it Fergie, I was going to recommend those Con-Ferr style. Nathaniel (Groucho) is a friend of mine, member of the Rising Sun 4WD Club here in Denver and TLCA. He does metal work professionally, so what he makes are not cheese-ball pieces of junk. These are quality pieces, made here in Colorado.

Last edited:

vhram

Observer
Ive had 3 diff confer racks over the years and usually sold them with the vehicle of the time, the last rack I saved and ended up cutting it in half length wise and taking 12" out of the center and re-welded back together to use on my tacoma. My son is down from sacramento this weekend and is eyeballing it for his 4runner.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I could make some of those if you wanted....
the groucho ones look like they are pretty stout
I appreciate the offer; right now I think I may try my hand at it. Now that I have all my tools in one spot and a garage to work in, fabrication will be easy again.

I think I may scrap the "stretching" idea and go for a custom rack, similar to this one:
rack2.jpg

saburai

Explorer
I like it!

I appreciate the offer; right now I think I may try my hand at it. Now that I have all my tools in one spot and a garage to work in, fabrication will be easy again.

I think I may scrap the "stretching" idea and go for a custom rack, similar to this one:
rack2.jpg

Those appear to be Yakima mounts. Any idea how they are attached to the rack? It seem to be sitting to low to be using the stock yak mount configuration...

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Those appear to be Yakima mounts. Any idea how they are attached to the rack? It seem to be sitting to low to be using the stock yak mount configuration...

That is the rack I made, using 1A mounts, and this is how I attached everything:
rackmount4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles