Failure of etrailer leaf springs?

wandererr

Adventurer
I have bought 3K lbs leaf springs from etrailer and after 4 or so trips they have wore out and one flattened out and other lne looks bent.... Had to build bumps stops out of 2x4s and used bailing wire to attach the bump stops to the spring by the frame (only spot where it had support functionality).

Anyways - while I haven't weighed the trailer yet there is no way it weighs over 2K.

wandererr

Adventurer
So the problem is that I've had the springs for 2 years and 1 month. They sympathize but point out their "age". They gave me phone number to the springs "manufacturer" who turns out to be another reseller (that they might be getting supplied by).

So I'm not giving up as I'm pissed.... the trailer was never overloaded, has not been abused and I have a ruined tire as a side affect of a shifted axle when the spring got messed up.....

it sucks having things break and fail after 2 years, but the reality is, they likely have a year warrantee, and thats been passed, even if they sat on a shelf for a year.

i try not to get too worked up over "small ticket" items.

most expensive 3500lb spring is $27 ish each, and if its 3000lbs per spring, were talking $40/spring.

how worked up can ya get over $54-$80 bucks.

bummer, but id just move on, maybe buy my springs somewhere else?

wandererr

Adventurer
I was able to track down the manufacturer. Looks like it's Emco springs. Spoke to someone who promised to have one of their engineers call me back to see what's up and what can be done.

I also went in to weigh the trailer - 1940 lbs with some water, fridge, battery, toilet (with water and other surprises :D ), propane tank, bed, mattress and some kitchen stuff. I am happy :D I dreamt of 1500's but I will take 1940!

x5AE3Hr.jpg

fCKik5C.jpg

wandererr

Adventurer
So going between the reseller, supplier, manufacturer and then back again I was told to take a hike.... eTrailer flat out told me that they warranty their stuff for 90 days. Kinda disappointing as when you build stuff, time between purchase and actual use can easily be more then 90 days....

Interestingly enough when I stated that I understood that that the springs are out of warranty and still expressed interest in purchasing from eTrailer but asked if they have any discount they can apply I was told a big flat no.

So I'm back to searching for a replacement set of leaf springs 27" for a 2Klbs trailer with max 500lbs load ;)

CampStewart

Observer
The longer the spring the smoother it will ride. Maybe you should think about going to a much longer spring from something like a YJ or a Cherokee rear leaf

wandererr

Adventurer
So here's my current plan - I have a spring manufacturer near me and they can do a spring per my spec. I am going to go for 2700 lbs weight with the second leaf (one just below the main) extending all the way to the bottom of the eye (almost military wrap... stopping just short of making the full loop around the eye). I'll pay about double BUT hopefully won't have to deal with failures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94