Falken Wildpeak AT/3W - anyone running them? Opinions?

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I have seen the S/T Maxx described as a "hybrid AT/MT" and perhaps it is; if so I didn't give its "MT" nature enough credit.

The STT Pros are what most consider a "hybrid AT/MT", the ST Maxxs are a tried and true AT.

Besides that point, typically you sacrifice winter (ice/snow) performance when you choose MTs over normal ATs or ATWs, so you really have to compromise with what kind of performance you want out of your tires.

kayadog

Adventurer
I consider the ST Maxx a hybrid MT/AT and the STT Pro a mud terrain that has tighter center tread blocks and sipes to improve on road and poor weather performance.

Cooper calls the STT Pro an "extreme tire" and the ST Maxx a commercial tire.

The AT3W is what I consider a true all terrain tire.

From the Four Wheeler review of the ST Maxx: "Cooper says the tread design is a hybrid (meaning part all-terrain and part mud-terrain) 4-5 rib tread design that is intended to create a quiet ride and good grip."

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Anxious to hear what you think of the new treads. I have been on the old tread pattern for a couple years now and have had great performance so far. They are wearing well and have given me great traction in all types of loose sand and silt. I don't get into a lot of mud or snow but when I have been in it, I've never been stuck. I did a photo shoot in Azusa cyn. If you are familiar with it, there are several water crossings and deep mud. I didn't go into the deep gumbo but got to our location just fine in 2wd.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well, I just got back from a 2500 mile trip to AZ pulling the trailer and I have to say I'm really liking the Falkens so far. They're quite and they seemed to do a great job coming down the very rough Mt. Lemmon - Oracle Road. I didn't air down (though I should have) but nevertheless the tires seemed to do well. Going up would have been a better "test" I suppose.
Then on our last night, we stayed at a state park in NM. It was located in the mountains, near the Continental Divide and overnight a storm blew in that left the back roads covered in a dusting of snow and ice. The Falkens seemed to do great on that as well, though understandably I was driving very carefully (pulling a 2000lb travel trailer will do that.)
Very happy with my choice. I saved ~$200 by going with the Falkens over BFGs so time will tell if that was a bargain or not.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I wish they came in more sizes. I'm looking at a 285-75-18, basically 34.8x11.3 and its limiting me to a Toyo, Nitto, or Cooper in the A/T style tires.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I wish they came in more sizes. I'm looking at a 285-75-18, basically 34.8x11.3 and its limiting me to a Toyo, Nitto, or Cooper in the A/T style tires.

Where are you looking? You might want to double check - I know there's a guy on the Tahoe-Yukon forum who was able to get a set in 20" size. If you're looking at Discount Tire remember that they don't offer that tire in all markets. In fact, they don't offer it in this one, I had to have mine special ordered from CA.

Clutch

<---Pass
I have a couple thousand miles on Kumho AT51's.....so far pretty darn happy with them. Did some fairly loose steep climbs with them yesterday, clawed right up it. Snow rated too, haven't had any snow so far... can't comment on their snow performance just yet.

Looks like 33.1 is the tallest for a 18" rim.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Road+Venture+AT51&partnum=865R8AT51

ku_rv_at51_pdpcrop.jpg

Webfoot

Observer
I now have five and a half hours of back road snow driving on the Falkens. The floatation of the 285/70/17 A/T3W is a remarkable improvement over the 255/75/17 S/T Maxx, and the grip in fresh snow seems to be improved as well. I got places I never would have made it on the Coopers, and I never got stuck. I spun without warning in a section of packed snow so these are not a substitute for chains, not that anyone said they were. I will post updates with how they do in different conditions as the season progresses.

649.jpg

Webfoot

Observer
Portland had an ice storm recently so I had ample opportunity to try out these tires in the worst conditions. On thick glare ice the A/T3W's were as useless as summer tires, just like everything else I've driven on beside chains. (I haven't tried dedicated studless snow and ice tires as winter driving here is predominantly bare pavement and I have heard those wear very fast in such use.) 15 and 50 psi felt exactly the same so I gave up and didn't try anything lower or higher.

bigjohndatsun

Thank you for the snow and ice report, very good to know as I am looking at the 285x75R17 for my silverado. A friend has these tires and raves about the on pavement performance vs the first gen wild peak, and I know the first wild peak was a flop in the snow(I had to push him along a road vs my Toyo At2's). Glad they fixed that issue.

Hnoroian

Observer
I just purchased the at3w in a lt285/70/17. With about 100 miles on them between city and highway I am impressed with how quiet and smooth they are. We will be playing in the dirt and hopefully some snow on Monday and report back soon.

For reference they are on a '14 ram 1500 crew cab 4x4, previous tires were ko2 same size.

malibubts

Adventurer
I just purchased the at3w in a lt285/70/17. With about 100 miles on them between city and highway I am impressed with how quiet and smooth they are. We will be playing in the dirt and hopefully some snow on Monday and report back soon.

For reference they are on a '14 ram 1500 crew cab 4x4, previous tires were ko2 same size.
Will be replacing the tires on my 15 here in the next 6 to 9 months and would love to hear your thoughts as you get more miles on the Falkens. I'm trying to decide between the same two tires in the same size. Are you running the stock wheels still?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Hnoroian

Observer
Will be replacing the tires on my 15 here in the next 6 to 9 months and would love to hear your thoughts as you get more miles on the Falkens. I'm trying to decide between the same two tires in the same size. Are you running the stock wheels still?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Ko2's are great no questions about that, but the price point of the falkens that I got them for (~$170, yes they are the LT) blew out all other deals, 55k mile warranty also.

I should have added that they ARE on the cheap steel rims (tradesman) rattlecan rustoleum black, I do have a HBS leveling kit in the front and no rubbing lock to lock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles