Falken Wildpeak AT/3W - anyone running them? Opinions?

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Put a set of AT3Ws on my 4Runner recently in LT285/70/17 E. Replaced a set of 275 KO2s that were also E rated. Loved the KO2s, but just tough to justify the price difference. I've owned a lot of ATs and a few MTs over the years and am impressed with how quiet the Falkens are for how aggressive the tread is.

Balanced well and ride really smooth on the highway. Traction is really good for an AT. They track well on gravel roads. Haven't been on super soft beach sand yet, but they have performed well on the sand I've been in. Their E rating rides a bit smoother than the KO2s did. Don't know if the KO2s had firmed up with age, but they do feel slightly more comfortable than the KO2s (could be the new tread depth flex?). They don't seem to clear out mud quite as well as the KO2s, but still allow you to maintain momentum. I think the KO2 shoulder block gaps being a bit larger help it perform a bit better in the mud.

They have the makings of a great overland tire. They roll well on pavement, are predictable on gravel, seem to perform well on sand, get good traction on the dirt, and are a good value. If you're looking for a well rounded tire with decent on road manners, then you can't go wrong.

Darwin

Explorer
The issue I am noticing with my Falken at3W is lack of a 3 ply sidewall. It's probably not an issue at all on a lighter truck.

MOguy

Explorer
The issue I am noticing with my Falken at3W is lack of a 3 ply sidewall. It's probably not an issue at all on a lighter truck.
That is a concern I have. I've always had more hardcore aggressive mud terrains that did have thicker / stronger sidewalls.

Falken does advertise they have something to make the sidewall tougher. I have not had an issue yet with mine.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Just installed a set of these on my Tacoma. I have maybe 300-400 miles on them so far? I had been running a set of E-rated BFG AT2's the last 3 years. I know I'm gonna seem dumb, but I never knew they were E-rated. Every other set of BFG's I'd ever had were C-rated so I didn't even think about it or look at them. They rode horrible on such a light truck, like having wooden tires on it. The Falkens are SL-rated and are SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE.

With the BFG's, the truck was not tracking straight at all. It pulled hard to the right. The Falkens are much, much better so far. They do well on gravel roads and don't seem to hold gravel quite as bad as the BFG's. I'm not worried about the thinner sidewall on my truck, but I would be on a heavier truck.

The tires are stock size, as were my BFG's, yet the Falkens are noticeably larger in height and width, which I like. The BFG's always looked kinda odd being so noticeable smaller.

My only real complaint about the Falkens is that the siping only reaches about 1/3-1/2 way down the tread blocks. BFG, Cooper, Yokohama, etc. all have siping that is 100% of the tread depth. When my Falkens get a little older I'll have to have them wiped at a Les Schwab to get some siping back in them.

Raul

Adventurer
305/65r18 on my 4x4 van. After about 2,500 miles I love them. Quiet on the road, good on the snow (one ski trips so far) good road manners wet or dry. I can not comment on hard core off-roading, but as all around tire and aspirational adventurer, it has been great.
Update. One long road trip from TX to Washington DC, over the Smokey Mountains and several off-road parks with lots of slippery mud and some "rock crawling" (It is a van so no crazy stuff) and still love them.

Capture01.JPG

10ed.jpg

IMG_5802.jpg

jadmt

ignore button user
Is this on the LT tires as well?

That could be a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My e rated have 2 ply but I can vouch they are strong. We have lots of sharp broken granite and sharp downed tree branches in Montana and no issues. I just did Moab with a buddy who has them and I saw some sharp rocks pushing hard on his side walls but nary a mark

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I can also confirm that they are very good on snow. I know this now because I sold my Suburban (with its Wildpeaks) and got an F-150 that has some other tire (Goodyear I think) and even though the Goodyears on the F-150 have the "snowflake" rating on the sidewall, they aren't NEARLY as good in snow as the Suburban with the Wildpeaks.

We got about 14" of snow yesterday and I briefly got stuck getting out of my driveway! I ended up having to lock the rear differential in order to get out. I never had any issues with the Wildpeaks even in deep snow.

Currently the truck has 23,000 miles so I'm knocking wood and hoping the Goodyears will get me through this winter. Some time next year I'll need to replace tires anyway and I've already decided I'll stick with the Wildpeaks. I think they're one of the best value in tires out there in terms of both capability and cost. BFGs are nice but not worth the extra coin IMO.

EDITED TO ADD: Picture just for fun:

F-150 in snow.jpg

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I can also confirm that they are very good on snow. I know this now because I sold my Suburban (with its Wildpeaks) and got an F-150 that has some other tire (Goodyear I think) and even though the Goodyears on the F-150 have the "snowflake" rating on the sidewall, they aren't NEARLY as good in snow as the Suburban with the Wildpeaks.

We got about 14" of snow yesterday and I briefly got stuck getting out of my driveway! I ended up having to lock the rear differential in order to get out. I never had any issues with the Wildpeaks even in deep snow.

Currently the truck has 23,000 miles so I'm knocking wood and hoping the Goodyears will get me through this winter. Some time next year I'll need to replace tires anyway and I've already decided I'll stick with the Wildpeaks. I think they're one of the best value in tires out there in terms of both capability and cost. BFGs are nice but not worth the extra coin IMO.
That could also be because the Suburban had more weight over the rear axle? I found my Suburbans / Tahoe / Yukon better on snowy / icy conditions than my F150.

I just attributed it to less weight over the axle in the truck and the GM's having auto-trac.

I throw some sand bags over the axle in the truck and it seems to help. Could just be me though.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
That could also be because the Suburban had more weight over the rear axle? I found my Suburbans / Tahoe / Yukon better on snowy / icy conditions than my F150.

I just attributed it to less weight over the axle in the truck and the GM's having auto-trac.

I throw some sand bags over the axle in the truck and it seems to help. Could just be me though.

Well, I already have about ~200+ lbs of camper shell over the rear axle, probably ~60lbs of recovery/emergency gear in the bed and 2 x 60lb sandbags behind the rear axle, so I've got a fair amount of weight on the rear axle right now.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Well, I already have about ~200+ lbs of camper shell over the rear axle, probably ~60lbs of recovery/emergency gear in the bed and 2 x 60lb sandbags behind the rear axle, so I've got a fair amount of weight on the rear axle right now.
Yep, sounds like it. I have Duratracs now and they seem okay on icy roads. I'm curious as well how the AT3W would compare. Also, how tread life would compare. I have 60K miles on the duratracs and they seems to have held up well. (I think enough tread left to get me through this winter possibly) I wounder it the AT3W would hold up as well or even better?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Yep, sounds like it. I have Duratracs now and they seem okay on icy roads. I'm curious as well how the AT3W would compare. Also, how tread life would compare. I have 60K miles on the duratracs and they seems to have held up well. (I think enough tread left to get me through this winter possibly) I wounder it the AT3W would hold up as well or even better?

I never wore out a set of Wildpeaks but when I sold my Suburban earlier this month it had over 30,000 miles on the Wildpeaks and they still had plenty of tread left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles