Family camping in a TC

apruitt9

Adventurer
We are currently camper/tent less, as I recently sold my RTT/trailer setup. We initially were looking at pop up camper trailers as a option but we would have to get a second towing vehicle as we like to lake/beach camp and take our 21 ft Skiff, which brings me to a TC. It would be nice to have the camper and boat all in one setup, but being new to TC's I am looking for some advice!! It will normally be me and the misses and two of our kids 7 and 13. Occasionally my oldest daughter and a friend may tag along. So, I guess I am looking for a TC that will sleep 4-6 and provide as much room as possible, while on a budget and probably pulled by a half ton! I know, not asking much! I don't have the truck yet so that is adjustable and will more than likely buy a used TC as our first one to get a feel for what it is we like and dislike. Opinions and personal experiences welcome!

ripperj

Explorer
The half ton will really limit you, used usually means older, which are heavier. Six is pushing even a big truck camper, unless you like it cozy.
The pop up is probably a better choice, maybe a John boat on top????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UHAULER

Explorer
If you don't have a truck yet , why are you set on a half ton ? You are asking a lot, 4-6 people, towing a boat, and all of the gear . Someone else on this site suggested picking the camper first and then buying a truck that will haul it , not the other way around.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Toy hauler then take the skiff and have a very very skilled boat bulider make it into a nesting Skiff. Then stuff it into the toy hauler. Thats actually one of my own ideas for me. BUT! Toyhaulers even with say 900lb boat gear plus people and people stuff your looking at 250/2500 sized full size to pull it all. A heavy rated F150 people report it does ok with smaller lightly packed VRVs but your going to need at least a 20ft trailer.

apruitt9

Adventurer
If you don't have a truck yet , why are you set on a half ton ? You are asking a lot, 4-6 people, towing a boat, and all of the gear . Someone else on this site suggested picking the camper first and then buying a truck that will haul it , not the other way around.

I don't have the truck yet so that is adjustable ....this was in my original post!

apruitt9

Adventurer
The half ton will really limit you, used usually means older, which are heavier. Six is pushing even a big truck camper, unless you like it cozy.
The pop up is probably a better choice, maybe a John boat on top????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks! Still looking at pop ups and that idea as well, just trying to get all the info I can, really do hate the idea of driving and pulling with 2 vehicles though!

Darwin

Explorer
What you are looking for doesn't exist. (Plenty of room for 4-5 people, and 1/2 ton truck).

You might get away with trailer.

MTCK

Observer
It can be done! The used Cuchara I bought has a queen size cab over and dinette converts to a full size ish bed. The previous owner built a slick folding bunk bed that goes above the dinette bed (not pictured). In reality I would plan on putting the overflow campers outside in a tent. It's cozy with our family of three and a couple dogs, but we look at the camper as a really nice tent - not a place to hang out.

I'd get the heaviest truck you can and the lightest camper, hook up the boat and go. Good deals are out there if you're patient. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_8706.jpg
    IMG_8706.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8691.jpg
    IMG_8691.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 56

MTCK

Observer
Too bad you can't just do it like the Canadians and pull doubles. They know how to recreate!

Attachments

• IMG_8773.JPG
    IMG_8773.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 552

billy2

Get a small truck camper for you and the wife and put the kids in tents. Or buy a motor home wit a trailer hitch.

::Squish::

Observer
As others have said, buy the biggest truck you can swing. Btw used truck fleet trucks is a great way to get a decent if bare bones big truck for reasonable money. Just double check the registration in your state and make sure your license class is ok if you get a 4500 or higher truck.
6 people can add a lot of weight to a truck. If you figure 175# per person for body, clothes that's over 1000# just in human weight. Don't forget food water gas dog chairs a and all the other stuff.
I like buying used. For both the truck and camper. It took us a year of thinking about checking out and finally renting a truck camper to figure out what we liked and more importantly what we didn't like.

wirenut

Adventurer
Using a 1/2 ton for this is ludicrous; just forget it. You will need a 3500 SRW minimum. I had an '07 Chevy 3500 SRW reg. cab carrying an 11' TC and pulling a 20' boat on a tandem trailer. The weight on the truck was around 11,500 pounds. The GVWR of the truck was 9.900. I was very close on tire ratings in the rear. As we started having children I switched to an '05 crew cab dually. Carrying the same camper and towing the same boat I had 13,100 pounds on the truck axles. The truck's GVWR was 11,400. It handled very well. I put thousands of miles on the truck with the camper in the bed. Maybe 2,000 of that was also pulling the boat.
Camping in an 11' camper (no slides, no basement) worked well for a family of 4. We are not a family of 5 and I will likely be selling the TC and getting a bunk house trailer. This will require taking two vehicles to the lake because VA won't let me pull two trailers. The upside of that is I get to trade the family sedan in on a Suburban.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Too bad you can't just do it like the Canadians and pull doubles. They know how to recreate!

Not sure where the "Canadians" you refer to are from, but that's not legal anywhere I've seen. (I live in Western Canada. Eh.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles