Family Camping In The Steens

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
After driving nearly 8000 miles on a month long cross country trip in June of 2018, I took a slight detour to the Steens in Oregon. Both my 2 boys and my wife agreed that it's more breath taking than the Grand Canyon. It was the end of June and I knew the weather would be nice. Not much snow left. The road was smooth. Our van did well climbing over 9500 feet. We had the place to ourselves.

KigorGorge3 (1).jpg

We camped one night at Page Springs BLM Campground. It had the worst mosquito infestation that I have ever experience in my life. I grew in Minnesota. I know mosquitoes. I have camped in the BWCA. Been back packing all over Wyoming and California. Car camped in British Columbia. Hands down, the Page Springs Campground has more mosquitoes than any of these places.

I would go back again to Page Springs. We camped there in August 6 years ago and barely noticed any mosquitoes.

kigorGorge2.jpg

Family Photo At Kigor Gorge

family at Kigor Gorge.jpg

It's a beautiful campground. Stream runs through the campground. Deer graze everywhere.

PageSpringCampground.jpg

Last edited:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
We camped one night at Page Springs BLM Campground. It had the worst mosquito infestation that I have ever experience in my life. I grew in Minnesota. I know mosquitoes. I have camped in the BWCA. Been back packing all over Wyoming and California. Car camped in British Columbia. Hands down, the Page Springs Campground has more mosquitoes than any of these places.
It's a beautiful campground. Stream runs through the campground. Deer graze everywhere.

I'm sure you noticed that the Steens are just south of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. What it really is, is miles of swamp. Many locals call this the "National Mosquito Refuge". Good luck on seeing any other wildlife besides the mosquitos during most of the summer - if you step out of your vehicle you will be eaten alive.

I live only a couple hours drive south of the Steens and drive through there on the way to Burns all the time. I learned very quickly that, unless it was wintertime, to NEVER stop and get out of my rig on that highway between the Steens and Burns. And when I've camped on the Steens it was always at high altitude!

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
We did notice that Page Springs is south of the Malheur National Wildlife refuge. I believe what you are saying about the mosquitoes. We visited Alaska and did not have as much problems as Page Springs.

Mcegielski

The Steens are nice, no joke about the mosquitos. The only refuge we could find was inside, or surprisingly the middle of an alpine lake while trout fishing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste