Family of five, driving the world. Size ok?

andri

Hi all.

I´m in early preperation for a up to two years, four continetct drive with me family of five. (kids then 5-7-9) The goal is Europe, Africa, South and north America.
I've been giving it a lot of thought, what the best car would be. And after thinking about Sprinter van conversion to Land Rover Defender I´m leaning against Jeep Wrangler / Rubicon.
One of the more appealing part of the Jeep I think is the selection of all kind of gear and kits available.

My main concern is size. Do to the age of the kids I would like to have them sleeping with me and my wife and roof tent would be our ultimate goal. I´ve seen few tents that work, but looks like they will all take the whole roof. Will I be able to fit everything I what and need in a 4 door Wrangler? Does any one have similar experience?

Thank you all!

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding
>> Will I be able to fit everything I what and need in a 4 door Wrangler?

The answer is yes, however that answer also depends on your definitions of ‘need’ and ‘want’. A 4-door Wrangler likely will fit everything you need to take, but it likely will not fit everything you may want to take.

You and your family must pack lightly and develop good travel habits for laundry, hygiene, shopping, meals, entertainment while driving, and other aspects. But it can be done!

My brother and I went overland exploring on an extended trip in a Fiat X1/9 (a small 2-seater like in these images here — https://is.gd/GVfioG). And then when I was a child my family had 7, 5 kids aged 10, 9, 8, 7, and 4 years old), and we all drove, with my grandmother also, so there was 8 of us, in a Ford Pinto (like in these images — https://is.gd/ASmuUL).

Your trip sounds fantastic — enjoy!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Weight/payload will be your biggest challenge. Simply with 5 people and some kit in the Wrangler you're already going to be close to GVWR.
As soon as you add a fridge, RTT, rack and minimal clothes, you'll be over.

-Dan

azken

Observer
FWI..suggest a teardrop type trailer with a RTT..solves your sleeping and eating logistics..frees your tow vehicle up for personal items as well as side trips. As stated before..weight is your biggest consideration.

bamajeep

Adventurer
Hi all.

I´m in early preperation for a up to two years, four continetct drive with me family of five. (kids then 5-7-9) The goal is Europe, Africa, South and north America.
I've been giving it a lot of thought, what the best car would be. And after thinking about Sprinter van conversion to Land Rover Defender I´m leaning against Jeep Wrangler / Rubicon.
One of the more appealing part of the Jeep I think is the selection of all kind of gear and kits available.

My main concern is size. Do to the age of the kids I would like to have them sleeping with me and my wife and roof tent would be our ultimate goal. I´ve seen few tents that work, but looks like they will all take the whole roof. Will I be able to fit everything I what and need in a 4 door Wrangler? Does any one have similar experience?

Thank you all!
I have a family of five and have been camping out of our jeep for about a year and we love it. Check out my build thread (jeep jk unlimited camper project).

andri

Thank you all for quick and good response.
I’ve been watching the Epic Family Roadtrip and base my worries on them. They have there luggage on top plus RTT for two and the kids sleep in the awning. So if I would loose half the roof top for the bigger RTT will I get screwed ?

MattJ

Adventurer
Before you set out on the two year trek, why not borrow, rent or even buy the cheapest used Wrangler you can find for a few test trips of 2-3 weeks and see how it goes?

Lucky j

Explorer
Na, it will not work. You need to get rid of at least two kids.

Don't listen to me, just make many predeparture jeep loading pratice, and you will see what works. But for sure, do not ask any of you to travel with bags on you or tuck in between any of you. Your travel space will be important.

Have fun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles