Family of four, wait five. Looking for the (as close to) ideal camping setup.

06 flstfise

sounds like you found your answer with a smaller pop up, but I will share how we do it. We are a family of four with the to little ones currently 4 and 5. We started them both off tent camping as soon as we could. There were a few rough nights but overall the both love it. We do a 10-14 day road trip every summer. We tent camp the entire time. We just moved up to a 100 series Cruiser but had done 3 trips in either our 5 door impreza or the old Forester xt with a roof top box. We would pack all of the camping gear (have mostly light weight back packing stuff from younger years) up top in the cargo box. Our clothes and a cooler and coloring books, nature books and other assorted kids activities would be in "trunk". On the days we are traveling we get up early cook a nice light breakfast for everyone. After everyone is done I will break down camp and my wife will go off and play with the kids to help get some energy out. This usually takes about 30 minutes or so depending on how long we stayed and how much got taken out. We would then pile in the and usually drive a tank or two of gas. We would preplan a spot to stop for lunch where we can get out make lunch and have an area for the kids to stretch their legs (parks work great for this). On a few occasions we would stop in a small town eat out and take a nice walk through towns looking at all the great mom and pop stores that are still out there. After that we once again load up and travel a tank or two more and call it a day. I would get out start setting up camp and the kids and wife usually go off an explore. by the time they get back camp is set up and we go from there for the night. We have found that this slow and steady approach has really worked out well for us. We live in Milwaukee and have made it to Glacier NP and Moab with no issues or complaining from the kiddos. Only down side is they think both are really close and we should be able to go anytime. We also have a small pop up that we have used locally but the kids prefer the tent especially on clear nights when we don't use the fly and they can sleep under the stars. We have tried winter camping with the pop up a few times and want to get into it a little more to help get us out more during winter but have found we need to figure a way to tighten it up cause the wind can be killer in winter. Again glad to see that you have seemed to find your answer to keep getting outdoors with the family.

Anak

Stranger
We are also a family of five. I hear what the OP is saying about towing the pop-up long distances. My issue is that it slows us down. Speed limits are lower for towing for a reason. And it isn't horsepower.

We have an 8.1L Suburban. It tows the pop-up no problem, but doing 75 with it is simply a bad idea. The west has a whole lot of wide open space to be covered. I do a lot of 8 to 12 hour days when we travel. The towing/not towing difference is easily 100 miles if not 200 miles per day. That matters. I am fine with taking the pop-up a thousand miles or so, but much beyond that and I don't want to be slowed down that much. Tent camping it is.

Tent camping with a little one is not all bad. The one time we got flooded in our tent it was the little one who fared best. His pack-and-play was elevated above the water, so he stayed dry. Count that as advantage #1. Give me some time and I might manage to come up with another advantage... Maybe.

For the volume of gear I use a roof top cargo box and a hitch mounted cargo tray. I keep sleeping bags and other bulky/light weight items overhead and load the hitch tray with heavier items.

I would suggest that you at least invest in good sleeping pads. This year I am going to complicate travel by taking Grandma along too. She is game for tent camping, but requests a cot so that she doesn't have to get up off the ground. I am looking at the Disc-O-Bed cots. Reading reviews, I think The Bride might appreciate the upgrade as well. Downside is more set-up/tear down time. I still think I will be further ahead than if I were pulling a trailer.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
What about a trailer with a roof top tent? Should save weight while givng you the ability to have a large area for sleeping. Negative: you loose indoor play space during rainy or buggy times. That could be offset by another screen house though. Just a thought.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Full size 4dr pickup with a new aluminum Flipac. Disco bunkbeds in the truck bed for the kids, ma and pa up top. Could even set up the bunkbeds pre trip to stack gear bags in for easy packing and set up. Trust me I've been thinking allot about a 4dr long bed 4x4 Canyon. Could be the right combo. Kids and I are splitting town tomorrow for a quick weekend camping trip given Mom is out of town for work. The Flipac / canyon combo would be purfect. Hitching up the Subaru to the tent trailer at noon, packing tonight!!# cant wait to go.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Why not ditch the trailer and strap a couple OZ Tents to the roof rack, quick and easy to set up with plenty of room inside.

Silverhorse

Adventurer
We have 5 kids (2-8 years) Current vehicle is a 2013 chevy express 3500 extended van. We pull a 30' Airstream with it... I'm a Toyota guy but nothing was large enough for us... We like the van but it not exactly want we wanted so were adding Sienna seats, converting in to 4wd etc.. to fit our needs. All of our traveling so far has been fairly local (NW Florida, Alabama, Tenn, kentucky) But we plan on eventually seeing more of the country.. maybe with a smaller travel trailer or something similar..

Honu

lost on the mainland
lots of good info to chew on for ya :)
and congrats on new little one :)

I think a lot depends on the type of camping you do ? camp spots as in water and some kinda toilet available or on your own meaning you have to pack your own water and bring your own toilet etc..

my thing is with two kids now 7 and 11 and two dogs is weight to unload and load so a pop up or dedicated rig ready to roll could be nice as less loading and unloading and just camp setup and take down to manage which once again brings us to what kinda gear ? nicer fast light tents vs bigger heavier or maybe two tents as in say two 10x10 big enough you can sleep in one and have one for the changing mess room that is handy and in some cases two 10x10 are easier to setup than a 10x20 because of space at spots and sheer size
we had a killer off road trailer and in some ways I miss it but in some ways I hate towing a trailer lower mileage access even just parking and backing up is not as fast and easy if doing longer road trips
more stuff to happen and break down not a huge deal but its there behind us all the time for me gets old :)

trailer cons
towing sucks :)
another axle and stuff like breaks bearing to mess with and never seem to be as good as the vehicle
storage when not using
over packing now you are gear management as much as setup and take down off all the stuff since you can bring it :)

pros
can bring more creature comforts but also a con :)
can bring a ton of water if you go to places you cant get water the one thing I am battling now :)
ready to roll for the most part just add food
more room in the vehicle for day trips and stuff from camping

I like the idea of a sprinter or large van for sure or the full size quad cab P/U with flip would be sweet my dream rig is something like a quad cab fuso or mog with camper back :)

we went to tents and hammocks we use a tent for getting ready and place to change etc..
we tried the nice kodiak tents but heavy and large to store but NICE if you have the room and place and dont mind setting up a 70 lb tent cant get much nicer tent !!! and we had disco bunks for the kids and even us and nice and comfy but again huge and heavy so setup and break down gets OLD or it did for me :)
cause if you are going to be like me often the wife is watching the kids helping a bit and I am setting up alone :)
when they get a bit older they can help but only so much and a bit older they can handle there own which I am liking a bit more now with the current ages

my daughter 11 likes her hammock now a bit away from us (kinda sad my girl is growing up) but its great she is OK with being on her own a small bit :)
my thought here is if you get disco cots you can use them for now but maybe later ? so instead get 4 really good pads like exped synmat 12 super comfy packs small with 5 of them in the rig that is important and later on can be used on there own

the other idea is a storage trailer like many here with the military types and a RTT with a annex much like we had with our conqueror kids sleep below its fast to setup and put away for quick one nighters but the annex IMHO has to have a floor for bugs and stuff and you have room to store everything
again towing YUK ! and I do think in some ways stowing a pop up or a dedicated rig is not a huge leap to go dedicated rig
I need a huge garage :) hahaahhaha

I guess what it boils down to for us is I am almost at the back pack kinda gear small light we are almost down to one large duffel for each of us except for our camp kitchen which is a bit larger heavier but worth it
less wear and tear on rig no more loading/unloading massive weight in gear when making or breaking camp is less weight to be setting up tearing down and kids can handle it easy as in tell your kids to move that 70 lb kodiak tent vs a under ten lb light weight tent :) and it is camping in a more rough sense :)
things like moving to the helinox chairs over regular folders way less weight and size and takes a bit more setup but kids can do it so 4 of our chairs takes up the space and weight basically of a single folder and for me and wife and kids we think they are more comfy the helinox sunset chair is awesome

I am in my early 50s maybe when I get in my 70s I will want a more comfy rig but for now I also want my kids to kinda be tent and more back to basics camp experience as they grow up

really comes down to if you are going to two a trailer in some ways might as well make it a nice one or go light more backpack style of gear
the RTT type trailers could be really nice and prefer them over a pop up myself but again if you are towing you are towing so might as well make it nice

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'm thinking this:
partridge-family-the-partridge-family-14666824-1834-2560.jpg

Pax2525

Adventurer
ok so i broke down on Sunday and bought another tent trailer. I found a crazy deal on a 2009 trailer. We currently have 4, 2.5, and the newest due next month. We have tried vans, tents, truck campers, and pop ups. Multiple ones of each, I guess I like buying cheap playing with them for the season and reselling.

Anyway we've realized that at this point in life the creature comforts the trailer offers is best for us. My hope is as the kids get older and what not we can switch back to tents and a more minimal set up. I dont mind towing but like what was said before the speed is reduced so greatly here in CA. Not to mention you are limited on what lanes can be driven in.

So we will see how long this trailer lasts for and how it pans out with the 3rd kid. Either way Im willing to do whats needed (even if it slows us down) to ensure the family is getting outside and enjoying nature and not locked in the house watch tv.

Here's to all of you getting the family outside!!!

rayra

Expedition Leader
I don't see what the OP is gaining by going to a smaller pop-up with a growing family. Once you are in that category / mode, the differences and constraints are too minor to matter.
Keep what you have, put the money you'd lose / spend on a new smaller trailer on improving what you've got. A roof rack or cargo coffin to open space inside the vehicle. Comfort mods to the trailer. Adding an exterior shower is an easy project. Likewise a wide array of 12v comforts, lighting, fans, even entertainment for a fireside movie night in camp.

And the guy talking about 700-800 mile legs is just plain doing it wrong. That's not a 'fun family outing', that's a Death March. Would do better to make an intermediate overnight stop as a scouting trip for a longer stay another day, before moving on to the primary target of the trip the next day. Spending the whole first day just getting somewhere isn't enjoyable for anybody except someone with a fixation on playing 'slug bug'. Make the journey an enjoyable part of the trip, rather than a trial to be overcome.

ikk

Adventurer
Have you checked out the expedition trailer forum on here! Not sure how far off the beaten path you are looking at going but I was in a similar situation. Every time I packed up my SUV I barley had enough room to move around and that was with just three. When my fourth came around it was like where is the stroller going, high chair, diaper bag and extra food. I ended up buying a 4x6 trailer of craigslist of $500. Spent a few hundred more to add a top and matching tires. I still use a ground tent that fits 6 that is very simple to put up. With matching tires all I need is one spare. I can go off-road with it as out here in the west it's difficult to access easy to get to popular campgrounds that have water and bathrooms. I can carry all that in my tent and only really carry my cooler and baby items in the truck.

dlh62c

Explorer
Factor in the weather.

When its foul outside kids need entertainment and parents need space.

It's amazing how items that are wet don't pack up as well as when their dry.

1Louder

Explorer
Turtleback trailer with an RTT, Foxwing and a tag-along tent would work great for the backroads. Plenty of sleeping capacity in the RTT. Disadvantage from what you are used to would be the kitchen and shower are outside.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I am a family man of 5, our kids are 7, 5 and 3. I have had a Sequioa, and now a Land Cruiser, we tent camp, its just fine. Whoever, we are shopping for a popup... and in this case bigger is better, more room, more area to sleep and mama gets a nice warm bed. This makes my job as camp Dad easier and nets us more nights out (hopefully). Camping with kids is in no way going to be adventurous as camping with the fellas deep in the back country. Time around the fire, away from distractions and enjoying one another is our main goal. Marshmallows are not optional they are mandatory.

I'd keep the setup you have, spend money on gas and fun.

nobueno

If you decide to go the truck camper route - we have an Outfitter Juno 10 and love it. It would easily sleep you five with the pull out bed and dinette. Full kitchen, plenty of storage, indoor and outdoor, if you get a crew cab you can all fit. If you don't already have the truck it could be quite an investment though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz