Farewall Land Cruiser?

kalieaire

Observer
Yeah, I just really hate the idea of the Lexus LX570. It's less capable and it gets hung up on stuff.

Like my Tacoma, I would want to be able to go through some trails for a few years first and simply enjoy the vehicle as is before I start tearing things apart and slapping armor on there.

With the LX, there's really no choice here. The other problem is that LXs also have worse resale value.

I think *any* marketing strategy would've sold more LCs over the past 11 years as the LC200.

DCGibbs

Observer
Toyota USA, has been lost for years. They told 30,000 people - NO, we aren't bringing in the Turbo-diesel. They killed the FJCruiser, without a replacement. The US market has been begging for the 79 Series Pick-up and Wagon, for years. "No Thanks, it's rob sales from the 4Runner."

kalieaire

Observer
I think things got even worse when they moved to Texas. They're simply uninterested in growing the business in a direction that coincides with their biggest supporters.

4Beast

Observer
Maybe it's true, maybe not. Whoever Johnny Leiberman is, I don't know enough of him to call him a reputable source. I'd like to see something official from Toyota before I go all sky is falling.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The same reason the VW Phaeton flopped. "Stealth wealth" is a tiny, tiny market. If you're already paying $80K for a luxury vehicle, you're not going to blink at paying $10K more to get the luxury brand.
As a current shopper looking at 50-80k vehicles and can afford such. I don’t want to flaunt or appear to others as if I have lots of money. Its just not my thing. Most people with real wealth actually don’t like advertising such things. Newly wealthy or misleading people to think one is wealthy is a different discussion.

I’ve never owned a GM product before but I can say the Tahoe / Yukon is on my list because its understated very common and can be loaded up with reasonably “fancy” interior aspects. And they get better mileage than my Toyota and past Toyotas. That and more modern engine and transmissions. Its not a Reliability thing for me given all my prior 4 Toyotas haven’t been anything special or impressive in that matter.

kalieaire

Observer
Maybe it's true, maybe not. Whoever Johnny Leiberman is, I don't know enough of him to call him a reputable source. I'd like to see something official from Toyota before I go all sky is falling.

Have you heard of Motor Trend?

Have you heard of Jason Cammisa?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
As a current shopper looking at 50-80k vehicles and can afford such. I don’t want to flaunt or appear to others as if I have lots of money. Its just not my thing. Most people with real wealth actually don’t like advertising such things. Newly wealthy or misleading people to think one is wealthy is a different discussion.

I’ve never owned a GM product before but I can say the Tahoe / Yukon is on my list because its understated very common and can be loaded up with reasonably “fancy” interior aspects. And they get better mileage than my Toyota and past Toyotas. That and more modern engine and transmissions. Its not a Reliability thing for me given all my prior 4 Toyotas haven’t been anything special or impressive in that matter.

I am not sure where you resides but I think a lot of people don't necessarily relates Land Cruiser with "lots of money", even a brand new one.
Honestly most people won't see the difference with a KIA...I wouldn't let this stop me.

The fuel economy, on the other hand...that's what stopping me.

UHAULER

Explorer
Who cares ? It's just another fluffy, bloated, plastic ,suv. The fact that they only sell 3,000 a year tells you it's no big deal. 99.9% of the owners aren't going "expeditioning" If you really want to save it, tell 50,000 of your friends to start buying them.

4Beast

Observer
Have you heard of Motor Trend?

Have you heard of Jason Cammisa?
So Motor Trend or Jalopnik have never gotten bad information? He's basing his whole thing on Toyota saying they aren't canceling the Cruiser--for now. There is no where in the article does he name an actual source, ergo it's just speculation for now.

CSG

Explorer
Well, I'll continue to drive my '02 LX - "fluffy, bloated, plastic ,suv" until it no longer makes sense to own. I've been driving it for 10 years after buying it in 2009. At 68, with a vehicle this good, I might buy one last vehicle before my time is up. I'd get the LX over the LC because they tend to be in better condition used, offer more stuff, for less money. I don't buy new vehicles anymore.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles