Farewall Land Cruiser?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
So 4 actual recalls. And yet you are aiming it’s not reliable? You have to break it down by how many actual vehicles were affected. Each recall my just 19 or 100 trucks. Yes Tacoma’s are reliable. Extremely reliable. It’s not an act truck. If you want something else. Get something else.

nickw

Adventurer
It’s a Toyota transmission. The removal of it is no different than the h42 that came in it. It was in no way changed from factory.
Hell I took it to the dealer to have the valves adjusted. No problem.
The majority of dealers dont, wont or cant work on the older cruisers beyond simple repairs. They generally wont touch rigs that are not US spec, particularly major repairs like trans swaps, even on OEM cruisers.

It's been a while, so correct me if I am wrong, but H55s are not direct bolt ins.

I hear rumors of a handful of dealers that will work on them but those are huge exceptions to the rule....and it's only going to get harder as the tribal knowledge decreases.

nickw

Adventurer
I just don't see where that is coming from.

Toyota's current crop of 4x4's and pickups certainly aren't trend setters or performance leaders, but they are well-built and reliable compared to the average domestic truck.

We really going to sit here and pretend that major quality issues plaguing FCA and GM, and even Ford to some degree, are in anyway comparable to what Toyota has experienced in recent years? The new Tacoma did not live up to its full potential, but the fact that owners still buy it in droves over the Colorado and Ranger should be indication enough of where buyers perceive higher quality and value.

You do a brief search on the NHSTA website and you can see which brand have more issues...it's not that hard to do.
They buy it in droves over the Ranger since the Ranger is new.

I agree 100% with Dave, reputation from 20 years ago is what sells.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The majority of dealers dont, wont or cant work on the older cruisers beyond simple repairs. They generally wont touch rigs that are not US spec, particularly major repairs like trans swaps, even on OEM cruisers.

It's been a while, so correct me if I am wrong, but H55s are not direct bolt ins.

I hear rumors of a handful of dealers that will work on them but those are huge exceptions to the rule....and it's only going to get harder as the tribal knowledge decreases.

Every dealer I’ve taken it to will work on it
H55 is a direct bolt in.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I dont believe that, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that your local dealer will....its not typical and for every 1 that will there are 20 that wont.

Why wouldn’t they work on a stock land cruiser that has a stock Toyota transmission in it that was not modified in any way? I’m not sure what that’s so hard to believe. They work on lifted and modified vehicles all the time.
And even if they didn’t, which they do. Somehow that makes them a crappy company? But if you had a domestic piece of crap and took it to a dealer after being modified they would magically be ok with it?

Last edited by a moderator:

nickw

Adventurer
Why wouldn’t they work on a stock land cruiser that has a stock Toyota transmission in it that was not modified in any way? I’m not sure what that’s so hard to believe. They work on lifted and modified vehicles all the time.
And even if they didn’t, which they do. Somehow that makes them a ************ company? But if you had a domestic piece of crap and took it to a dealer after being modified they would magically be ok with it?
The majority of the parts are not available, there is no tribal knowledge and the manuals are long since gone.

Give me the the numbers of two of the dealers you've had service work done and I'll call em and ask :)

Again, exceptions dont prove the rule. There are threads over on IH8mud about this very topic.

N

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The majority of the parts are not available, there is no tribal knowledge and the manuals are long since gone.

Give me the the numbers of two of the dealers you've had service work done and I'll call em and ask :)

Again, exceptions dont prove the rule. There are threads over on IH8mud about this very topic.

N

That they won’t service an h55?
Show me these threads.
The fsms are not long gone I have all the fsms for the 60 series on my phone.
I love how Jnich77 likes your post because he can’t stop himself from participating in anything that is anti Toyota.

Even if what you say is true. How in any way does that prove Toyota sucks as a company? Bring a ******** ass old ford to a ******** ford dealer and try to have it serviced. Hell in 5 years bring your 2018 f150 to a dealer (because there will be what6 body style changes by then) and see if they’ll service that pile.

Last edited:

Upland80

Adventurer

My local dealer works on my 1994 LC. Has the manuals and can do a full engine rebuild if needed. Some parts are NLA, but never needed a part I couldn't get at the dealership. Smaller dealer about 60 miles East of LA. I'm not sure you know ****** you're talking about.

You drive a Ford Ranger...great. Why are you here? Pretty sure you don't find LC owners over in the Ford Ranger section trying to prove vehicle superiority; we already know LCs are at the top...it's just a fact.

nickw

Adventurer
That they won’t service an h55?
Show me these threads.
The fsms are not long gone I have all the fsms for the 60 series on my phone.
I love how Jnich77 likes your post because he can’t stop himself from participating in anything that is anti Toyota.

Even if what you say is true. How in any way does that prove Toyota sucks as a company? Bring a **** ass old ford to a **** ford dealer and try to have it serviced. Hell in 5 years bring your 2018 f150 to a dealer (because there will be what6 body style changes by then) and see if they’ll service that pile.
Lol, I tried getting my 96 F150 serviced, they wouldn't touch it.

I was a huge cruiserhead for years....

nickw

Adventurer
That's not true. They're generally stoked to work on them.
What has your experience been?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz