FCC Ham radio testing

JJS2

One DOES need a HAM license to broadcast, except in the case of emergencies.

I bought the ARRL Technician test book, and downloaded the set of current questions from the ARRL site. After some study, I registered on the qrz.com/hamtest Web site, which gives sample, random 35-question exams. The site keeps a log of all your exam results, and provides other useful information (such as the question #s, test sections). After I felt proficient with the Technician test, I printed the General questions and began doing sample General tests. A week or two ago, I passed both, in one trip. Not only did that help use time more efficiently, but it halved the $15 cost of testing.

Now I'm waiting for my call sign from the FCC. I didn't buy the General Level book. I believe that one could pass both tests by printing the pool of current questions and taking the sample tests. However, reading a book helps with understanding concepts, so I recommend it.

I have not gotten a radio, yet. A friend has the Kenwood 281-A mounted inside his Jeep JK's center console - which is a nice way to conceal it - and an antenna mounted on a riser off his gas can bracket. I think he leaves the console lid open, when operating. The radio has good range. But with the General, I have access to more frequencies and bands, so I am still undecided about the equipment. I look forward to seeing others' comments and suggestions - Thanks for those!

Jim
2015 Jeep JKU

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Congrats on passing the General, Jim.

I have a 2m mounted in my JK alongside the trans hump. I have a CB mounted to the soundbar. I'm thinking of getting a 20m and mounting it beside the CB and adding an antenna to the swing-out rear door.

Most 4x4 traffic is on CB and 2m. 20m is neat for back at camp.
I might just put an HF in my teardrop instead and mount an antenna to it...

JJS2

Thanks for the reply, Bill. I am approaching retirement in a year or two, and I'd gotten the JKU with the intention of doing some overland trips into the West. I am beginning to think that 2M may be adequate - or at least as a place to start.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Congrats.
2m should be sufficient but it may depend on where you are travelling. I thought 2m would be ok too, until I found that a linked repeater system that covers half of my state is on 70cm. So a dual band mobile it was. Another benefit of a dual band mobile is the ability to cross band repeat which could come in handy when away from the vehicle and carrying an HT. APRS may be something to look into as well.
HF can be fun, I enjoy the DX and contest, some enjoy rag chewing. It also never hurts to have more communication options though HF could probably be stowed until needed/wanted.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
One DOES need a HAM license to broadcast, except in the case of emergencies.

I bought the ARRL Technician test book, and downloaded the set of current questions from the ARRL site. After some study, I registered on the qrz.com/hamtest Web site, which gives sample, random 35-question exams. The site keeps a log of all your exam results, and provides other useful information (such as the question #s, test sections). After I felt proficient with the Technician test, I printed the General questions and began doing sample General tests. A week or two ago, I passed both, in one trip. Not only did that help use time more efficiently, but it halved the $15 cost of testing.

Now I'm waiting for my call sign from the FCC. I didn't buy the General Level book. I believe that one could pass both tests by printing the pool of current questions and taking the sample tests. However, reading a book helps with understanding concepts, so I recommend it.

I have not gotten a radio, yet. A friend has the Kenwood 281-A mounted inside his Jeep JK's center console - which is a nice way to conceal it - and an antenna mounted on a riser off his gas can bracket. I think he leaves the console lid open, when operating. The radio has good range. But with the General, I have access to more frequencies and bands, so I am still undecided about the equipment. I look forward to seeing others' comments and suggestions - Thanks for those!

Jim
2015 Jeep JKU

Congrats Jim...I'm a recent licensee too. I have a Kenwood 281A in the truck and a FT60 HT for listening in the house. The HF options are so vast that I intend to wait till I've got more experience before driving that road. I might lean on Hilldweller for practical experience and advice....He's local to me.

Congrats on passing the General, Jim.

I have a 2m mounted in my JK alongside the trans hump. I have a CB mounted to the soundbar. I'm thinking of getting a 20m and mounting it beside the CB and adding an antenna to the swing-out rear door.

Most 4x4 traffic is on CB and 2m. 20m is neat for back at camp.
I might just put an HF in my teardrop instead and mount an antenna to it...

Bill I think the base camp set up might be a good option. Jeeps get crowded quick. Our FJ will likely get one radio besides the Cobra75 CB, so I have to be very choosy in that situation.

I'm really liking the idea of an HF rig in a Pelican case which would make it highly mobile and not vehicle dependent. I'm seriously looking at this.

Congrats.
2m should be sufficient but it may depend on where you are travelling. I thought 2m would be ok too, until I found that a linked repeater system that covers half of my state is on 70cm. So a dual band mobile it was. Another benefit of a dual band mobile is the ability to cross band repeat which could come in handy when away from the vehicle and carrying an HT. APRS may be something to look into as well.
HF can be fun, I enjoy the DX and contest, some enjoy rag chewing. It also never hurts to have more communication options though HF could probably be stowed until needed/wanted.

Having the repeater backup is key. Around here, 2m is saturated...In Georgia, we can talk on 2M top to bottom and side to side when they are all linked up. I've heard that you gotta plan ahead when traveling though. It can change quickly the farther west you go.

As much as I've heard about APRS and other transmissions of similar type, I just can't see the use in them for me. What am I missing? Do they get through when voice doesn't? Is it just information sharing, like files and such? What's the draw here?

prerunner1982

Adventurer
As much as I've heard about APRS and other transmissions of similar type, I just can't see the use in them for me. What am I missing? Do they get through when voice doesn't? Is it just information sharing, like files and such? What's the draw here?

Most people use it as a tracker, but you can also see other hams around you that are also beaconing APRS. You can message other local APRS users, sent a text message, and a short email. Since it is a data packet it does travel a bit better than voice. With a 4watt HT running APRS through a 19" whip I can hit a digipeater 40-45 miles away. It is the 2nd closest digi with the closest being 20-25 miles. Unfortunately there are areas that have sparce digipeater coverage but it can be useful.

Ham radio has a lot of things to offer and not everything about ham radio is for everyone.

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Most people use it as a tracker, but you can also see other hams around you that are also beaconing APRS. You can message other local APRS users, sent a text message, and a short email. Since it is a data packet it does travel a bit better than voice. With a 4watt HT running APRS through a 19" whip I can hit a digipeater 40-45 miles away. It is the 2nd closest digi with the closest being 20-25 miles. Unfortunately there are areas that have sparce digipeater coverage but it can be useful.

Ham radio has a lot of things to offer and not everything about ham radio is for everyone.

Gotcha...Does APRS come as a feature on most HF radios or is it an add on? Please forgive my ignorance, I've only been reading on this for about a month and most of it was study material for the tests.

I just saw the big ol "APRS" thread right below this one. I'll read up on it there for a bit too...

Last edited:

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Gotcha...Does APRS come as a feature on most HF radios or is it an add on? Please forgive my ignorance, I've only been reading on this for about a month and most of it was study material for the tests.

I just saw the big ol "APRS" thread right below this one. I'll read up on it there for a bit too...

APRS is typically only found on some VHF radios, so it is typically an add on. APRS is done on a little HF too, but is mostly a VHF mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94