FCC Rule Change

k6uk

Adventurer
The Yaesu is the better deal, it's a more modern radio.
The only downside is that it is very menu driven and you have to drill down to set everything. But the price is great - nothing touches it for $680 bucks including the remote kit. The 897D is nice too, if you're not so interested in a mobile rig & will run off internal batteries. (Internally it's exactly the same as the 857D)

-Mike

Last edited:

asteffes

Explorer
How good are these mobile HF rigs for 2m/440 repeater use? Total overkill? Are they a pain to deal with as replacements for dual banders?

PCRover

Adventurer
I don't find them any more difficult to operate than a standard dual bander, but then I have been using radios for many a year.

Unless you are really planning on using the lower frequencies, I would stick with a more conventional 145/440 radio. The lower freq's can be fun, but there are times when the bands are dead and it is nothing but noise.

I suggest you find a dealer or someone with a multibander and play with it before you commit either way.

asteffes said:
How good are these mobile HF rigs for 2m/440 repeater use? Total overkill? Are they a pain to deal with as replacements for dual banders?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior