Features and annoyances of your 2010+ Tundra 5.7L

Dalko43

Explorer
Tundra is an older platform. IMHO that only really manifests itself in terms of interior features/options. Lack of Apple Carplay (until 2020) and a few other gimmicks that other 1/2 tons have.

In terms of truck features, the Tundra really isn't lagging behind the competition as much as some people like to claim:
  • The 5.7l iForce is an old engine, but it is a decent and relatively modern engine (DOHC). 2 of the big domestic competitors (GM & FCA) are still using OHV v8's...so I'm not sure why we should consider the Tundra's v8 outdated by comparison.
  • Ride quality: it's 1/2 ton truck with a leaf-sprung rear suspension. This truck was designed to perform truck-like duties (like towing, carrying payload). If you're going to drive around empty 99% of the time, then yeah the truck will ride a bit rough, though nothing outrageous.
  • Relatively big brakes (for the 1/2 ton segment), adjustable headlights, dampened tailgate. The latter 2 features are still lacking in some of the more "modern" competing trucks.
  • It is inherently better suited for offroad duties. 4.30 gearing, better approach/departure angles and shock/strut placement compared to the competition.
  • MPG is mediocre at best, but only 2-3 mpg's behind what most of the competition is averaging...thats based on fuelly results, not forum-goers' bigfish tales.
Tundra is still a decent option. It is biased towards offroad/working applications, more so than other 1/2 tons. Toyota was willing to make compromises to achieve that. I don't understand why people buy 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks to drive around empty and complain about ride quality. If you're going to use the truck for truck-like applications (towing, carrying payload), then the ride is more than acceptable. Honestly, the ride empty is fine IMHO, but it certainly handles better with some load in the back.

joshjan

Pros- I have a Crewmax and it’s amazing for the 4 of us plus a big dog. Couldn’t go smaller.
- it’s simple. Not a lot of tech and I love that.
- I have mine modded to the point where Ican’t imagine starting over with something else.
- a Crewmax with soft topper is awesome. So versatile for any adventure! I like hem that as we haul a lot of different things.
- back window goes down.
Cons
- fuel tank size on my 2011.
- gvwr is a little low. With my armored truck and a skamper pop up on the bed I was right at the limit, without our gear. Up to you how comfortable you are at the sticker limits and travel.
- gas mileage seems low but I’ve never measured it. I know it’s bad because I’m on 35s and I like the sound of the v8 :).

I looked at a lot of trucks 7 years ago when I was looking. I told my wife whatever I got I would keep 10 years lol. This is the one that I think I can do that with!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior