Feedback on my 2nd battery / solar setup

Hello all
I am putting together a 2nd battery / solar setup for my Jeep JKU and wanted to get some feedback on the system and hopefully answer a few questions I still have.

After some input and suggestions from a separate thread in the Jeep section, and a ton of reading I decided to base my system on this excellent write-up from member blackhawkip found here

I like the idea of the charge controller and battery being inside the vehicle to protect the charge controller from heat and dirt and also to make sure the temperature compensation is accurate by placing the battery and the controller in the same environment versus putting the battery in the engine compartment. I may modify the rack that the battery and components will sit in slightly to maximize cargo space.

Here's what I want to run:
ARB 50qt
Assorted LED lighting (rock lights under the vehicle / lighting on all 4 sides of Gobi rack / cube lights on bumper and windshield)
A few USB charging ports to be added throughout the vehicle
Later an inverter to charge laptops etc

Here's the components I bought:
Renogy 100w suitcase solar panel
Odyssey 34-PC1500T battery
Victron MPPT 75w/15a solar charge controller (bluetooth enabled)
Springtail Solutions drivers side rack
Blue Sea fuse block (will be mounting in engine bay and routing all of my accessories through this)

My theory is to run all of my accessories through the 2nd battery (routed through the fuseblock) and leave the starting battery in place in the stock location, possibly wiring a winch directly to it later on.

A few questions I'm hoping to get answered:
Do I need to vent the battery?
Is there any reason to not use a MC4-SAE adapter from the panel and make my own SAE 50ish foot cable to connect to a SAE port to be built into the side of the jeep? This will allow me to park in the shade and place the panel where the sun is.
Any other ideas or suggestions on how to wire this up?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply Verkstad. I did see a few people mention that a lot of the popular SAE ports like Zamp are reverse wired. I'll keep an eye out for that. In your opinion would it be better to keep it all MC4 connectors? Seemed like it's more complicated to do so with the way those connectors work (special tool to put together etc), but if it's a clearly better way to go I would definitely consider it (or any other connection method). I am not at all savvy with electronics or wiring, but a friend of mine is and will be helping me with the install. We have the components so totally open to suggestion as far as the layout, wiring, etc.

In regards to the battery ISO I had looked into it a bit. I found a few threads on here about DIY ways to replicate systems like the Genesis dual battery (which I was considering nut then found the write up referenced above) or similar. Do you need to have two of the same model battery to use a system like that? The Genesis system says that you do.

john61ct

Adventurer
Excellent battery great choice.

Should give it a good 40A charge (per 100AH) when mains is available, and learn how to ensure 100% Full top-ups at least a couple times a week for best longevity.

SAE is marginal IMO, I prefer Anderson for charging.

But I guess the actual amps rate will be pretty low, keep it to 12-15A and check for heating up once in a while.

No need to vent unless the smell bugs you.

john61ct

Adventurer
If you keep multiple batts connected while in use (as opposed to just for charging) then yes should match, including mfg date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles