FG Build Tire Size,,

sumnrfam

35" or 37", annnnd,,, Go?

Looking for the expert opinions, advantages / disadvantages for each, Thanks

;-)

SuperVan

Forager
Anyone, and there are quite a few of us, who are using the Aussie Super Singles from T in Canada are running 37” tires. I haven’t had to re-gear for my 05-07 series FG.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I use the Falken WildPeak A/T (325/80-16) on my '02 FG (they are just shy of 37" diameter and 13.25" wide) and love them. The much lower RPM at cruise speeds makes the truck so much quieter and the high sidewalls with the low belt count (4-ply, they cut down the GVW) make for a very smooth (relative) ride. Although it seems that 16" rimed 37" tires have pretty much gone the way of the Dodo, so now it would be 17" rims.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Most in Oz run 285/70R19.5 of various brands.
In my view the 305/70R19.5 would be better (I run these on my OKA). They have a max load rating of 3075kg each at 115psi, but at lower loads run at lower pressures. There are various brands, but I much prefer the Michelin XDE2+ personally.

I know that a small number run on Michelin 325/85R16 XML which is a military tyre. They have a max load rating of 2,300kg per tyre at 65psi. These are unbeatable in the bush, especially the deserts, but can heel and tow on the black top and wear faster. They are more aggressive and can be noisy. They are also expensive but are often available ex military surplus at 5 years old with little or no wear.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

westyss

Explorer
Most in Oz run 285/70R19.5 of various brands.
In my view the 305/70R19.5 would be better (I run these on my OKA). They have a max load rating of 3075kg each at 115psi, but at lower loads run at lower pressures. There are various brands, but I much prefer the Michelin XDE2+ personally.

I know that a small number run on Michelin 325/85R16 XML which is a military tyre. They have a max load rating of 2,300kg per tyre at 65psi. These are unbeatable in the bush, especially the deserts, but can heel and tow on the black top and wear faster. They are more aggressive and can be noisy. They are also expensive but are often available ex military surplus at 5 years old with little or no wear.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
I started with the Michelin XDE2+ and those tires went at least 20,000 km's more than the Toyo's that I have been running for the last few years, they wear slower and are a much nicer ride, there was some mention of the XDE2+ chunks coming off but I have found similar issues with the Toyo's, they do look better tho.... I buy a pair of tires each year and I know the XDE2+ are more expensive but factoring in the longer life, taxes, enviro fees, disposal fees, mounting, balancing and for me going off island to go get new ones I am considering going back to the Michelins. 305's? Hmmmmm?

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
there was some mention of the XDE2+ chunks coming off but I have found similar issues with the Toyo's,
There are a few types of gravel road that can chip them badly if high speeds are maintained for long distances, but they are unusual. I think the Bridgestones chip less if that is a serious problem where you go regularly.
This is an extreme case. It only happens to the rear tyres and is caused by the stones being flicked up by the fronts.
P1000094cE.JPG
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Mog - That's better than I expected but doesn't cover our rated axle load. I have been careful to build my rig to the rated loads so I don't have to have a pissing match with a judge or my insurance company in case something goes wrong. I am running 285/70R19.5 Toyo's on ATW super single steel rims. The tires are rated at 6395# (load range H) so load wise I have plenty of capacity but the sidewalls are super stiff so airing down only helps to a point. I do like that if I have a blow out I have lots of rim and remaining rubber to guide this beast to a stop.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I am running 285/70R19.5 Toyo's on ATW super single steel rims. The tires are rated at 6395# (load range H) so load wise I have plenty of capacity but the sidewalls are super stiff so airing down only helps to a point.
That is one of the advantages of the Michelin XDE2+. The sidewalls are a single ply of steel and they are pretty tough but also quite thin, so they air down very well.
The ATW super singles are 8 1/4" wide which is the correct width for the 305s, but ATW has not done the approvals for 305s which is very strange. Any engineer would approve them in 5 minutes flat I reckon.
I use 305s on 8 1/4" rims that I had made by Mullins 15 years ago. You can buy them "off the shelf" now.
Cheers,
Peter

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
......balancing...….
OT, but for the last couple of years I have been balancing the rims without tyres using adhesive weights inside the tyre area of the rim (a once per rim job) and then adding 400g of #4 shot gun pellets to each tyre. I can buy 10kg for AUD$100 from the local gun shop.
I have found that totally adequate and much cheaper.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Aussie Iron

Explorer
There are a few types of gravel road that can chip them badly if high speeds are maintained for long distances, but they are unusual. I think the Bridgestones chip less if that is a serious problem where you go regularly.
This is an extreme case. It only happens to the rear tyres and is caused by the stones being flicked up by the fronts.
View attachment 553620
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

It is also caused by the rear wheels which are being driven spinning on the rocks on the road thus chipping pieces out so driving in 4WD on gravel roads will stop a lot of that wear and also give a lot better handling.
We see a lot of this wear to the rear wheels on 2WD utes running around the farm. Don't see it on the 4WD utes running around the farm in 4WD.

Dan.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
It is also caused by the rear wheels which are being driven spinning on the rocks on the road thus chipping pieces out so driving in 4WD on gravel roads will stop a lot of that wear and also give a lot better handling.
I am always in 4WD if off the black top. :)
Also get better braking and handling generally.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

westyss

Explorer
View attachment 553620
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
holy crap! Thats ugly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles