FG Park/Hand Brake

gait

Explorer
I have the manual ......

however .......

reality doesn't quite match the pics ........

how to adjust brake pad clearance and ratchet travel without removing drive shaft and drum?

any suggestions?

Amesz00

Adventurer
Haven't done it for a while, but from memory
Adjust vehicle position to align holes in drum vertically (or jack up rear wheels and turn), pull rubber grommet out of lower hole, turn the adjuster wheel with screwdriver until shoes clamp, then back off maybe 5 clicks. Something along those lines.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Haven't done it for a while, but from memory
Adjust vehicle position to align holes in drum vertically (or jack up rear wheels and turn), pull rubber grommet out of lower hole, turn the adjuster wheel with screwdriver until shoes clamp, then back off maybe 5 clicks. Something along those lines.

That's about it.

Dan.

yabanja

Explorer
Glad you brought this up. It is on my to do list in the next few days, and I haven't done it before.

Allan

gait

Explorer
thanks, I see the hole now

I ran out of energy after adjusting the wheel brakes. Probably a Friday job now.

Any thoughts on the cable adjustment ..... I find it a bit difficult to imagine worn pads when the handbrake is usually only applied when vehicle already stationary (apart from when rolling backwards down a very steep hill) and suspect cable stretches a bit over time.

trackadda

Observer
not sure if this applies here but i have always loosened off cable adjustment before adjusting the shoes. readjust the cable to get the right handle height, about 6 clicks?

gait

Explorer
my assumption that the handbrake pads couldn't possibly have worn so much that the handle reached the end of its travel and therefore the cable had stretched was flawed.

lining the little hole up with the adjusting screw wasn't as hard as I thought ..... chocks behind and in front of wheel with gap in front, out of gear, wind drive shaft to align and assistant moves chocks to stop any further movement.

adjusting the screw for pads returned handle to reasonable position when handbrake on.

all good now. Thanks,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles