Fiberglass truck camper build

This is great. I have the same truck and was literally putting a plan together similar to this build over the weekend. Excited to see how it works out for you. If the cabover is 70" wide, about how deep is it? Wondering if I could stuff 2 kiddos up there.
I would think so if they are small. It's about 36" deep before it starts to taper down.

This is great. I have the same truck and was literally putting a plan together similar to this build over the weekend. Excited to see how it works out for you. If the cabover is 70" wide, about how deep is it? Wondering if I could stuff 2 kiddos up there.
i m making mine for 2 kids

the upper bunk is 42inch deep and taper but you can also overhang it inside. so my is now 66x48. so my 2 little kids can sleep there.

I would think so if they are small. It's about 36" deep before it starts to taper down.
Tony!

did you put a plywood under the bunk bed or is the mattress directly on the fiberglass shell? when i bough the used unit...they had a big 3/4 plywood on the cabover but it was use for tools etc. It really seems solid and i would not mind saving the weight and cost of a plywood sheet if it s not needed!

today got 2 window in! a small kitchen countertop and a foldable bed! should be ready to go for a trip in 2 weeks!

Sorry Jonny, I thought I answered this. There is plywood reinforcement in the floor of the cabover already that makes it very sturdy. I just put my mattress right up in there.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I was configuring pretty much the same exact truck this morning...

A few questions if you don't mind:

Did you get the 36 gallons tank?
Did you check the average mpg before and after?

Do you like the truck in general?

Hi Christian, I did get the 36 gallon fuel tank. Love the truck! I had a 2013 before this one. The new one is just a bit better in every way. I have the 3.5 ecoboost. I didn't do an exact mpg study but I would say I lost roughly 1 mpg. I'm getting 17.6 commuting to work right now. I have a 25 mile drive through a small town on both ends and 55 mph country road for most of it.

Added (2) 100 watt Sunpower flexible solar panels. Attached with glued on studs and 3M VHB tape. Wires are run through the side of the roof vent to avoid drilling any holes in the fiberglass. IMG_3307.JPG IMG_3308.JPG IMG_3310.jpg