Fibre Body Insert

jagular7

Adventurer
Picked this Fibre Body insert up the other day for a cheaply $400. Not too bad. Looks like all the seals seal. Only thing I don't like about it is the interior size. Its an insert designed for use in multiple mfr trucks. It fits well in the Superduty long bed I put on my cab and chassis.

100_1989.jpg

100_1990.jpg

100_1991.jpg

utilitycap5.jpg

Coming off will be the ladder rack, emergency lights, strobe lights, and interior cabinets. (Although I may keep the cabinets for pull out tray purposes.) I would like to remove the floor tray, but that is the floor.
What I would prefer would be a rodeo style camper. Only few mfrs for the rodeo style camper (M&M, Capri, and 1-2 others). But they are expensive. Selling off the stuff I don't want, will make it even cheaper.
All I really need is a sleeping quarters for my camping adventures for couple of people. I camp when I wheel my Jeep. I have plans for under-floor boxes fitting in front and behind the rear axle (trimming the bed as needed). I needed a camper with the rear doors. Since there are several differences between a cab and chassis frame and a regular pickup frame, I couldn't use a tailgate.
To gain interior space, I could cut the bottom half off and convert it to a topper. BrandFXbody.com is the mfr. From the dimensions listed, they are basically the same as a topper shell. Big difference is the rear door and bulkhead. Not a big deal to seal the rear bulkhead against the bed. I am also planning in my head a flip top setup with a small pickup tonneau cover. If not flip, just an angle up in the rear to provide standup space.

All this is coming off this. The city also has a code to what looks like a camper on a truck is also prohibited to park in residential areas. This shell doesn't look at all like a pickup camper.

Last edited:

dport

Adventurer
Looks like you'll have a pretty neat set-up when you get rolling. I think I would keep the rear directional emergency light on there, until I exhuasted all potential ideas for it :coffee: FWIW, I feel sorry for you about the Mun. codes. Infringment upon ppl's private lives is one of the reasons I have left gov't "service".

OTR

Adventurer
Cool. I would keep the emergency lights. You could have a less chance of getting a ticket if a cop wants to pull you over, he'll think it is a local municipal truck:) Plus they could comein handy for .....something:cool:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Cool shell.

If you are wanting the municipality to think it's a work truck, then it might be advantageous to leave the work lights.

Matter of fact, you might want to do some online research on 'stealth camping.' One idea, for instance: There's a guy who 'stealth camps' in an enclosed trailer. His roof-mounted solar panels are disguised as ladders to contribute to the 'work vehicle' look.

One question, though. If your municipality won't allow flatbeds, are you sure they allow work trucks? I know you've heard this before, but if I lived in such a restrictive area, I'd be looking at moving. You might end up having to rent garage space somewhere for your rig and only parking the PC cars in the driveway.

Could you put your cook stove and stuff in that big slide-out drawer, to make it a slide-out kitchen?

BTW, I like the idea of using a Fiberglas tonneau cover for the pop-top. Very resourceful.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles