Finally wrote the test...

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
After at least a year of procrastination, I wrote the Amateur Radio test this morning - and I passed with honours! Which in Canada means I can access any band with a Basic licence - nice for the future. 100 multiple choice questions.

After that I promptly went out and dropped a wide load of plastic cash at the radio shop. Got me one of these:

FT-8800R_thumb.jpg

Yaesu 8800R. VHF & UHF. I bought it for the dual frequency receive as it allows me to monitor a ham frequency and something else like weather radio, forestry or anything else.

Looking to install the radio on Saturday and be putting it to use on a camping trip in the Kootenays starting Tuesday. I have decided to install the headunit to the right of the power outlets (below the ashtray). I will probably have to fab up a small piece of metal so that it angles towards the drivers seat better - not sure yet. The transmitter will go under one of the front seats.

Hopefully it all goes well!

:jump:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Thanks!

bigreen - no, there are no combo CB/2M units that are commercially made. Legally, CB units must be a unit to themselves.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Congrats!

You need to invest in this software for that 8800 - http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/ftb8800.htm
It is money well spent and much better than the Yaesu software. I bought my cables from http://www.ttl2usb.com/
Programming from the computer is way easier than trying to do it manually on the radio itself.

You may find somethings of interest here too - http://www.mods.dk/

I really love my FT-8800R. Around here the Yaesu is kind of a bad joke. I don't get it. Here is my install - Dual band ham radio
A simple 6 conductor phone cable is all that is needed to remotely locate the control head.
I trimmed the quick attachment from the radio body attached it to the fabricated ABS mount on my console.

The buttons are tiny and unlit on this radio. Be sure to place it where you can steady your hand and operate it by feel. The mic controls are lit, but I prefer to just rest my arm and use my fingertips to control the functions.

Enjoy!

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
HenryJ said:
A simple 6 conductor phone cable is all that is needed to remotely locate the control head.

Remember to reverse the wires on one end and crimp on a new RJ11 piece. I've got the the 8900 and had to do this to get my remote head working.

What antenna are you going to run and where will you mount it?

Cheers and Congrats!

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Thanks guys! I can't wait to get this thing installed... Hopefully my idea will go well.

HenryJ said:
Congrats!

You need to invest in this software for that 8800 - http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/ftb8800.htm
It is money well spent and much better than the Yaesu software. I bought my cables from http://www.ttl2usb.com/
Programming from the computer is way easier than trying to do it manually on the radio itself.

You may find somethings of interest here too - http://www.mods.dk/

I really love my FT-8800R. Around here the Yaesu is kind of a bad joke. I don't get it. Here is my install - Dual band ham radio
I trimmed the quick attachment from the radio body attached it to the fabricated ABS mount on my console.

The buttons are tiny and unlit on this radio. Be sure to place it where you can steady your hand and operate it by feel. The mic controls are lit, but I prefer to just rest my arm and use my fingertips to control the functions.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice Henry. I'm glad I didn't buy the cable and software today! My laptop doesn't have a serial port so those links are great!

I already signed up to mods.dk. Some pretty cool things on there, but unfortunately with the free access I can only look at one article a day :ar15:

I think I am going to mount the head unit in the space below the ashtray and to the right of the 12v plugs. There is just enough room. If I can figure out something good by Saturday, I'm going to try and create angled mount so the radio is angled more to the drivers seat.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
pskhaat said:
Remember to reverse the wires on one end and crimp on a new RJ11 piece. I've got the the 8900 and had to do this to get my remote head working.

What antenna are you going to run and where will you mount it?

Cheers and Congrats!

Good tip! I think I will be OK with the length of cable that I have with the extension kit...

The antenna was something I made what some might think is a strange decision. First, I went with a fender mount. I park inside a garage so the roof wasn't an option - anyways I already keep a little mag mount Wilson dual band cellular antenna up there.

Although the radio is a dual band, I went with a single band VHF antenna. I went with a bottom coil standard steel whip. Basically what most commercial vehicles run on VHF. I went that way because: a) it's strong; b) can take a lot of abuse; c) has a very wideband VHF recieve compared to dual band; d) I can switch it out to a dual band for city use in the future. I can't remember the brand right now, but I will check...

I'm not sure if I might have a bit of buyers remorse in not buying the quad band 8900, but I didn't want to drop another $150 or so for bands I may or may not use.

UncleChris

Adventurer
Congrats on the Ticket!

The 8800R is a nice radio. I have one in my commute vehicle and I really like it a lot. It seems to have better weak signal performance that my Kenwood.

If possible, mount it high. The readout and buttons are kind of small. I mounted mine on the right side of my shifter, and hate having to look at it to do anything(taking my eyes off the road).

Although the remote head does not fit very well in the storage bay of an aftermarket stereo panel. I tried, and was going to take the dremel moto-tool to the panel, but thought better of it.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
PCRover said:
Welcome to the world of Amateur Radio! Let us know your call sign when you get it. 73 K6HN...

I have my call sign already (in Canada we get to pick our call signs and I know the one I picked was available - confirmation comes tomorrow), however I'm not too comfortable with posting it. In Canada the database is online and includes the full name and home address of everyone.

Is it the same in the US?

Pskhaat

The only thing the 8900 gives you is 6m (unless here in the States you know CW and want to play with 10mFM). I think 6m is the perfect freq. set for what we do on this board and is just plain void of traffic so you don't interfere with repeaters and other folks and thus you feel you can keep your conversations a little less formal.

Worth the extra $? Probably not...

Pskhaat

Yeah, I often will post and then go delete after a day or two, same thing here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier