First Foray into 4Runners - My 1st Gen Build

Summit Cruisers Jr

I’ve seen a few first gens with 1st gen tacoma center consoles. Tone of the gray is pretty close, and provides cup holders...

Yeah I’ve thought about doing that but ultimately decided it’s not the look that I want long term and I’m going to build something instead once I finish this semester and get a batch of my 80 series swing outs done and shipped out.

I can’t remember where I saw these pics at, but this is the theme that I’m going to aim for in my 4runner. Maybe more of a limited tundra saddle leather color though.

8E2BB3D7-9A7F-4FED-86B4-D4C439732833.jpegB5EE60E7-D874-4D7D-A4A8-2B3072DDD83B.jpeg42EC6CAD-EE3C-4DE3-A59D-7E23DB88E535.png

Last edited:
I'm not very tall (5'8") but found that removing the rear seat bottoms makes it much more comfortable for sleeping in the back with the tailgate up. It's only 2 bolts per side, easy. Xterra has the same type of folding seats and the same issue but I noticed some of the later models actually have a quick release instead of bolts. I can't remember what the QR looked like but I wonder if it could be adapted to the Toyota?

14mpg is pretty terrible, mine would get 18-27mpg with the little tires like you have, even with a bunch of lift and dual teases and other stuff hurting efficiency. Mine seemed super sensitive to throttle position, if you really drive careful (which might mean going 57 instead of 62 on a certain stretch of road) it makes all the difference in the world. I recall one 2000 mile road trip alternating between 3 drivers, I was getting a consistent 25, my buddy was getting 27, and my other friend: 16!!

The key is just give it enough throttle to keep up, and downshift as needed to maintain speed with minimal throttle. Ok this is true to some extent on all cars but I never noticed it so much as on my old 4Runner.

Summit Cruisers Jr

I'm not very tall (5'8") but found that removing the rear seat bottoms makes it much more comfortable for sleeping in the back with the tailgate up. It's only 2 bolts per side, easy. Xterra has the same type of folding seats and the same issue but I noticed some of the later models actually have a quick release instead of bolts. I can't remember what the QR looked like but I wonder if it could be adapted to the Toyota?

14mpg is pretty terrible, mine would get 18-27mpg with the little tires like you have, even with a bunch of lift and dual teases and other stuff hurting efficiency. Mine seemed super sensitive to throttle position, if you really drive careful (which might mean going 57 instead of 62 on a certain stretch of road) it makes all the difference in the world. I recall one 2000 mile road trip alternating between 3 drivers, I was getting a consistent 25, my buddy was getting 27, and my other friend: 16!!

The key is just give it enough throttle to keep up, and downshift as needed to maintain speed with minimal throttle. Ok this is true to some extent on all cars but I never noticed it so much as on my old 4Runner.

Yeah all great points. After this trip I definitely learned that, but I’m still looking for an SR5 gauge cluster as I would really like to have a tachometer. I certainly don’t think having the canback helps nor does the drag from the northshore and bikes, but the night down there doing around 65 did much better on fuel than when we drove home in a big headwind pushing it along pretty good doing 70-75. I noticed it also did a lot better on fuel with the bikes over the tailgate earlier in the day, but unfortunately didn’t get the exact amount because I forgot to take note how many gallons I put in when a lady walked up with a can asking for some gas. She said she had just run out and didn’t have her wallet. Somehow she had a can though and was probably just scoring some free gas at my generosity but oh well.

Last edited:

RyanC-PNW

Observer
Just went through the full thread. Great progress.
I definitely laughed at the cupholder/drinkholder ziptie mod.

I've got a soft spot for 1st gens. I'm thinking one will be my next project.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I always liked the lockable Tuffy Box, my dad put one in his 60 and it's pretty big. I don't know if it would fit that narrow opening on the 1st gen.

I never really was amazed by the economy of the 22re. I mean I guess I always averaged around 18-20? Near the end I think I was averaging 10... There's a section of the harness that goes under the intake plenum and grounds to it, I found a loose connection there that probably would have solved my power and fuel issues had I not pulled the engine. Another thing I spent a lot of time chasing was the vacuum system, I swear everyone has a different idea of how they actually go together. (I bought my truck with bent valves and rebuilt the motor)

Being 6'3", I only slept in the back of the truck once. It was not pleasant.

Summit Cruisers Jr

I always liked the lockable Tuffy Box, my dad put one in his 60 and it's pretty big. I don't know if it would fit that narrow opening on the 1st gen.

I never really was amazed by the economy of the 22re. I mean I guess I always averaged around 18-20? Near the end I think I was averaging 10... There's a section of the harness that goes under the intake plenum and grounds to it, I found a loose connection there that probably would have solved my power and fuel issues had I not pulled the engine. Another thing I spent a lot of time chasing was the vacuum system, I swear everyone has a different idea of how they actually go together. (I bought my truck with bent valves and rebuilt the motor)

Being 6'3", I only slept in the back of the truck once. It was not pleasant.

Guess I’ll add checking that connection to my list. Overall though it feels pretty strong, but still has a slight miss and if that would fix that and improve fuel mileage I’d be happy.

Yeah I don’t think a Tuffy would fit. My dad has one in one of his 40s, and if I remember correctly, it’s around 8” wide. I tried my old Land Cruiser console and it was too wide. Seems there’s the ammo can, some other Toyota options or go fully custom. Considering the plastic surround that holds my shift boots in place is cracked and weak, I’ll probably just build something that goes all the way to the dash.

Here’s the console I built for my 80. I wasn’t a fan of the fitment of the Tuffy, and didn’t need a single din slot wasting space. It looks fairly simple but it’s all tapered to fit into the shifter surround and it maximizes available space without interfering with the e brake and rear heater.

Here’s how I contoured it to the floor.
53BA837F-D731-4EEB-A6FE-9591A692993A.png

Ignore the tan wet okole covers. I’ve since put in matching ones
BD6D335F-0980-4665-A53B-56E0D644E83D.jpeg

Last edited:

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
That looks fantastic. I bought some stainless and such to build my own but never ended up getting it finished before I sold the truck.

I ended up with some serious bogging and a miss before I parked the truck, and the bolt for the ground was almost completely backed off when I pulled the motor. The guy who bought it off me put it all back together and it ran like a champ so it was more than likely that ground.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I’ve seen a few first gens with 1st gen tacoma center consoles. Tone of the gray is pretty close, and provides cup holders...

I have cure for the square hole version to keep cups from tipping over.

Cut out a piece of plastic cutting board to fit over, then used a hole saw for the...well, the holes... :p

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I’ve been away from ExPo for a while, and come back to find this thread. Perfect timing as I’m looking at getting a 1st Gen 4Runner myself. I have one local to check out tomorrow if time allows. Based on how nice your 80 is, I’m going to be jealous of the 4Runner too most likely.

Summit Cruisers Jr

I’ve been away from ExPo for a while, and come back to find this thread. Perfect timing as I’m looking at getting a 1st Gen 4Runner myself. I have one local to check out tomorrow if time allows. Based on how nice your 80 is, I’m going to be jealous of the 4Runner too most likely.

Right on! What year are you looking at? I’ve come to learn that my 88 has a lot of year specific things which can make things inconvenient. A buddy listed off three common things that I had no idea would be specific just to 88. The plan is to eventually have it nice, but I have been enjoying kind of having a “beater”. Setting things on the hood, not worrying about scratches/rock chips, and people possibly damaging things climbing out of the back seats are all things that would kind of freak me out with a fresh coat of paint on it.

The interior is what I’m focusing on next as once it’s done, it’s relatively done. Paint and body work will be later down the road. I’ve ordered some samples from Stockinteriors.com for various carpets and headliner materials.

Yesterday, with it being nearly 70* out, I decided to pull the back carpet, seats, and the remaining cargo panel. I cleaned out the quarter panels, treated the minuscule amount of rust in one of them with some rust converter, and power washed the back out.

I figured it was a good day to do that and now I won’t have to fight all the spilled and caked on sodas and crumbs when doing carpet and sound deadening.

Before:
3E450F14-29B0-4AB1-9324-D0751E88F74B.jpeg
Wonder if anyone has put any storage boxes in the back of the rear seats without losing comfort?
E2322F4A-0818-4CF2-AF62-FED6789CE12D.jpeg

After:
57FFE0AA-171D-4F4E-B867-46BB68C78EAC.jpeg
266E6DAD-4B5A-4FFD-B3CD-1A01FFD49BA9.jpeg

I also have been trying to do more things with solidworks while I have the student version. I’ve since refined the wheel well shape, and I’m hoping to use a CNC router on campus to cut out all new panels out of 1/8” or 3/16” ABS. I originally wanted aluminum, but a 4’x8’ sheet of ABS is nearly half the weight and with a side already textured, I can put that out to hide scratches and not worry about powder coating or bed lining panels.

10C1C129-6F6A-492D-B7CB-6AA89D46EBBF.jpeg

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Mine will be an ‘89 (we made a deal on it, but I’m waiting on payment of a big invoice to pick it up). It’s a 3.0 auto which I’m not exactly in love with, but buying from the second owner who has had it close to 15 years, and it has brand new wheels, 31-10.50 BFGs and OME suspension. All of which I would do right away anyhow. I’m basically paying for the wheels and tires and lift and the rest is free. It drives nicer than I expected, and is in good overall condition. After many adventures in buying trucks from 1500-2000 miles from home, the best part is this one is 4 blocks from my house! The rear wheel wells have some rust, but it’s nothing I can’t deal with.5B195A91-67BF-40C2-9F3A-67B69FFE8463.jpegB2E264FF-1C90-42E1-BF05-523EDC750B30.jpeg

Last edited:

Summit Cruisers Jr

Mine will be an ‘89 (we made a deal on it, but I’m waiting on paymentof a big invoice to pick it up). It’s a 3.0 auto which I’m not exactly in love with, but buying from the second owner who has hadit close to 15 years, and it has brand new wheels, 31-10.50 BFGs and OME suspension. All of which I would do right away anyhow. I’m basically paying for the wheels and tires and lift and the rest is free. It drives nicer than I expected, and is in good overall condition. After many adventures in buying trucks from 1500-2000 miles from home, the best part is this one is 4 blocks from my house! The rear wheel wells have some rust, but it’s nothing I can’t deal with.View attachment 485780View attachment 485781

That looks pretty good. Can’t complain about a 4wd Toyota for basically the price of wheels/tires and suspension. Especially when it’s so close to home. To think about it, my neighbor was probably the equivalent of 4 blocks away

Summit Cruisers Jr

Did some 4Runnin’ with a friend the other day. It’s oddly kind of fun having something No where near as capable as the cruiser. Roads and small bumps require a totally different mindset... kind of like riding a DH bike down some trails vs an XC bike.

D2169927-FEC9-4E14-BF8C-3FEC8D1B9FD2.jpeg

Needs more POWERRRR!
14E27436-ED08-491C-9B0B-D9321840A7C1.jpeg

If only this was video footage. He’s a true burro
A6E1EEB5-BBE2-4299-A903-F1A4552985DC.jpeg

Pitiful.
145320E9-647A-42D1-B563-C3225BD37DF3.jpeg

0B6A8630-2BC4-465B-9538-A296730FBBA7.jpeg

2EAD9467-9173-4AC0-941A-8EF9FF1A065A.jpeg

Found an old bridge
DDD90160-C1C5-4DB8-AC08-128029BD85B3.jpeg

And a Narcotics Anonymous book next to the road. Good ole Oklahoma backroads.
962B4581-2F25-4C35-B20F-CB40DED62037.jpeg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Tuffy makes a 6.5" wide console that fits perfectly between stock bucket seats on 79-95 trucks and 4Runners. It's a little snug if you have the really nice sport seats with the lumbar adjustment knob on the right side of the driver's seat. But regular buckets wouldn't have that issue.

IMG_4088_mid.jpgIMG_4072_mid.jpg

The 6.5 also fits 1st gen Tacoma and 3rd gen 4Runner well.

IMG_3515_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles