First Foray into 4Runners - My 1st Gen Build

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Where did you find the disassembly info for the top, or did you just start pulling things off? I’d like to clean out all my window tracks etc this summer and do a repaint. I splurged on a Softopper so the hard top will be off until November or December now.519195

Where did you find the disassembly info for the top, or did you just start pulling things off? I’d like to clean out all my window tracks etc this summer and do a repaint. I splurged on a Softopper so the hard top will be off until November or December now.View attachment 519195
I pretty much kind of just started pulling things apart. I did read at some point on Facebook that the sliding window assemblies are just pushed out from the inside. It’s definitely easier if it’s been in the sun for awhile. One side was warmer and much easier than the shaded side. Then I just started unscrewing everything I could.

To get the windows out of the sliders, I had to open both and then put my feet in the tracks to hold it down. Then I pulled up close to the arc’d corner and the windows more or less fell out individually into my leg.

The rear fixed windows have a combination of bolts and nuts. I unscrewed all of them and then started prying lightly around the outside to get it to raise up. From my understanding, they have butyl tape on both the top and window which are separated by a foam center section. I used a narrow box knife to cut this as I went and then the window pivoted out.

Reassembly was pretty much the opposite, but it definitely helps to have another pair of hands and eyes to finesse the windows into the most perfect placement.

Love this build, can't believe that I am just now reading this.
Thanks man! I’ve really loved driving this truck around. So much so dare I say it might replace my cruiser on longer trips and whatnot down the road to leave my cruiser in better shape. I’d say it’s still in its early phases so there should be a lot more down the road.

A couple weeks back, my parents drove my runner up to Bentonville, AR and I drove down from KC in my cruiser and swapped them out. Driving the cruiser is nice with its superior amenities, but not being able to garage it and overall fear of damage due to lesser drivers had me wanting to swap it out.

My dad surprised me with a grille emblem for it which really helps this grille and headlight look.

I just dropped off my rear seats and RX300 headrests to be reupholstered in a fabric/pattern than matches my front seats.

I’ve been learning so much on Solidworks since I started my internship, and on the several days I’ve had with some free time, I’ve been working on my own 8020 extruded aluminum style tent design. The wedges are cool, but having spent plenty of nights in a roof top tent, I’d much rather have the volume offered by one that opens vertically. I’m still playing around with hinge lengths and whatnot trying to come up with the perfect setup. I’m also keeping my cruiser’s roof rack in mind as I would hate to have a tent overhang it as visually that seems unbalanced. If I do end up proceeding down this road, I will be building a new hardtop/softtop hybrid to go with it. All the ideas are in my mind, but the million little details are still overwhelming at this point.

Last edited:
I had a 1982 Toyota truck long bed aka HiLux that had that same front end. I loved that truck, I should have never sold it.
Yeah those are easily my favorite. If I could have any Toyota truck of any vintage, it would be an 79+ first gen truck. Then maybe a new TRD Pro tundra I’d they hadn’t ruined it without the double hood scoop 😂

dubk_trd

Observer
Try taking apart the hvac box where the blower motor is attach under the glovebox. My 4runner was too blowing very weak after an AC charge. I open mines up and found dirt ,leaves, dust that had form since 89 .

Try taking apart the hvac box where the blower motor is attach under the glovebox. My 4runner was too blowing very weak after an AC charge. I open mines up and found dirt ,leaves, dust that had form since 89 .
Yeah that was one of the first things I did so the heater worked. I think it might just be the way it is.