First Gen Tacoma: Extracab vs Single Cab?

Ozark_Prowler

I'm looking at a few extracab Tacomas to replace my old single cab with a rusted frame.

The extra space would be nice, but how much off-road capability would I be losing with the longer wheelbase (almost 20'' more)?

I saw this thread on a popular forum claiming the shorter wheelbase regular cab far outclasses its longer cousin in most off-road situations, but this is just one anecdote.

Any experiences with either this model or similar in long and short-wheelbase form?

bkg

Explorer
I'm looking at a few extracab Tacomas to replace my old single cab with a rusted frame.

The extra space would be nice, but how much off-road capability would I be losing with the longer wheelbase (almost 20'' more)?

I saw this thread on a popular forum claiming the shorter wheelbase regular cab far outclasses its longer cousin in most off-road situations, but this is just one anecdote.

Any experiences with either this model or similar in long and short-wheelbase form?

depends on what type of off-road capability you mean.

My xcab is about 132" WB now.. does fine.

Ozark_Prowler

depends on what type of off-road capability you mean.

My xcab is about 132" WB now.. does fine.
I do a lot of pretty tight tracks in the Ozarks.
That one tacomaworld thread had me concerned as it suggested the long wheelbase performed very poorly off road

bkg

Explorer
I do a lot of pretty tight tracks in the Ozarks.
That one tacomaworld thread had me concerned as it suggested the long wheelbase performed very poorly off road

ONE thread?

ignore it. plenty of xtracabs, doublecabs, doublecab long beds used every day.

tacollie

Glamper
That thread on TW is old and short because it's not accurate. My 02 extended cab Tacoma was my favorite truck off-road. I think that guys tires were over inflated or he was an inexperienced driver. You'll be fine in an extended cab.

Says the guy that bought a 91 regular cab for off-road ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier