First Gen Tundra -- in need of paint; San Diego recommendations ?

SolBeach

1672725373983.png
I've got a 2004 DC that I have slowly been building up from stock. It is in dire need of new paint - both typical toyota clear coat rot, and the sun damage to the roof (previous life was in AZ) is now rusting.
With two quotes for a full spray coming in at $8k, I thought I'd reach out to this forum to see if they have any recommendations for shops in SOCAL. I thought $5k was going rate for a full paint job...
Thanks.

SolBeach

Some specs:
2004 SR5 DC, 130k miles; lived life stock in Arizona;; bought from dealer remotely...picture illumination didn't show the poor condition of the sun baked paint
Since I've owned...
OME 2.5" lift
upper control arms
BFG/AT pizza cutters
high roof shell with home built exo-skelton rack (extruded aluminum) for awning, canoe and surfboard racks
slider box with fridge, kitchen box, water supply; bed on top
baseline fluids, etc.

bkg

Explorer
Prices have jumped... $6-8K is about what I'd expect for a good respray.

Maybe consider a wrap? Probably be about 1/2 the cost..

tacollie

Glamper
I'm a painter by trade. I would expect $8-10k from a good shop.

Go around to some automotive paint supply shops and ask them if they can recommend an independent guy. They could save you a few bucks.

Another thought is you're close to Mexico. My in-laws had half their 38 ft RV repainted in Mexico. They actually did a really good job and it was really cheap. That was 6 years ago and it still looks really good.

Reactions: bkg

SolBeach

Very helpful for the feedback and validating the 2 quotes I received. Due to some surface rust, I can't wrap without first treating that.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Is this really a question?? You live in Sandy Eggo! Just drive across the border to TJ and get a great paint job for pesos on the dollar!

I’m half kidding, but at the same time, we’ve had a couple of trucks painted down in Mexico, and they have been great. 80% of the cost of the job is labor, so it’s simple math.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
It helps to supply American paint. A buddy had his F-250 done but their pintura wasn't the best. Good work though. The return is a bit long unless you have a Sentri pass. Our Feds can get inquisitive and try and milk duty out of the sparkling new paint job. Good folks down there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles