First Rig Purchase.

xFATBOYx

So after being a car guy my whole life, I am finally making the move to trucks. After my son trying to get me into offroading (he is getting his license soon) and after finding this forum I am convinced it is something we can make memories doing. I was going to trade my car for a truck anyways but now I have an even better reason. So I came across a 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 4dr Double Cab SB for 28k. Being completely new to trucks (drove them as a teenager only) I really need some help finding a good starting point. Any help is appreciated (sorry if this isn't the right place.)

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Are you going to camp out of your truck, travel a lot, offroad? These trucks get overloaded in a hurry so think about the mods and keep it simple. I would say research a lot of other trucks and notice they end up removing mods and replacing them with another mod they found.

xFATBOYx

I plan on keeping upgrades very simple, going to travel and camp with it mostly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4runnerteq

Explorer
Cant go wrong with a Taco. Drive it for a while then decide what you want to change or upgrade. In all honesty, that truck will likely do anything you want it to do as it comes from the factory. It is fun though to make a few mods here and there even if they're not "needed".

Riley

Observer
How many miles? Thats high from what I've recently found unless it really low miles, like under 30K or so. Id suggest keep shopping.

Reactions: bkg

FJOE

Regular Dude
A 2012 for 28k? Wow. No matter the mileage, that's insane. I bet that means my '95 T100 with 143k can go for at least 10.

zidaro

Explorer
A new TACO, 4 door!!!! You don't need anything. Go drive that thing all over the country.
learn how to use your truck and get it in and out of situations. Local or area specific off-road club runs offer a great way to learn how to use that ************ machine you own. They are very capable.

Maybe a tire repair kit, a cheap compressor to fill that flat once you plug it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Viair-0008...UTF8&qid=1529934154&sr=8-5&keywords=viair+78p

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01E635PGA/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

xFATBOYx

A new TACO, 4 door!!!! You don't need anything. Go drive that thing all over the country.
learn how to use your truck and get it in and out of situations. Local or area specific off-road club runs offer a great way to learn how to use that ************ machine you own. They are very capable.

Maybe a tire repair kit, a cheap compressor to fill that flat once you plug it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Viair-0008...UTF8&qid=1529934154&sr=8-5&keywords=viair+78p

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01E635PGA/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

Thats what I was thinking after doing more research, luckily there is a local group in Houston and I am hoping to meet up with them when I get the new truck. Would rather have stock and know how to drive anyways lol. Thanks for all the help, but sadly that one sold the day before I went, back to hunting around.

Dalko43

Explorer
Are you looking for a pickup or a SUV?

The Tacoma resale values are pretty ridiculous nowadays (which is why a lot of people argue that it makes sense to buy new).

If you're willing to consider SUV's there are 4runners, GX 460's (basically a Lexus version of the 4runner), Nissan Xterra's (highly underrated and thus cheaper to get into).

Smileyshaun

Observer
If the tires are starting to get a little thin upgrade to something with a bit better carcass on them get a tire repair kit some basic recovery tools and just go out and drive it as is. Don't modify Pastor abilities in the beginning enjoy your vehicle stock and figure out what modifications you need for your style of driving. One downside of the internet is you'll get a lot of advice from people but what modifications work well for someone in the soggy wet Pacific Northwest will almost be worthless for someone out in the desert. Get together with a group of people in your own area that way you can learn from them and help if you get stuck or anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier