First Ten Things to Purchase Before an Overland Adventure

YotaPilot

Adventurer
For #3 Communication, i would say more important to than all the fancy comm equipment is telling someone where you are going, your expected route, and you expected date if return. If they don't hear from you upon return, notify proper authorities.
This is more critical when traveling single vehicle, but it doesn't hurt when traveling as a group as well. Best part is it doesn't cost you a dime and could save your life.

Scott Brady

Founder
For #3 Communication, i would say more important to than all the fancy comm equipment is telling someone where you are going, your expected route, and you expected date if return.

This is great advise, but outside of the scope of an equipment list. The article is intended more as a purchase checksheet than a how-to :D

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
Scott, in section 1D, Water, do you mean one gallon of water per person per day (as an average depending on exertion and environmental factors)?

YotaPilot

Adventurer
This is great advise, but outside of the scope of an equipment list. The article is intended more as a purchase checksheet than a how-to :D

Haha...touché. I guess that is outside the scope of this this.:ylsmoke:
Great list by the way. As a newb to the expo world, this will be a great reference to my build.

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
I may have missed it but jumper cables are nice. Even better (since we tend to travel solo a lot) is one of the little "jump starters". Mine is similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-..._6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1334490417&sr=1-6

Steve

PS As a new boy I find I am spending way too much time on this site!

I've been part of this forum for 2.5 years and still feel that way. Welcome to the addiction! No need to feel guilty about it though.:ylsmoke:

stclair

Adventurer
Great list, thanks! So I am putting some gear together for our Syncro. I'm thinking of adding an air compressor. Any recommendations? Good all around basic, reliable is what I'd like to have.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
For 30 years I've always made sure I've had a small generic electric fuel pump with alligator clips and a couple of 10' sections of fuel line.

I've used that setup to get vehicles going when the fuel pump failed (which generally happens without any warning at all), and I've used it to transfer fuel numerous times. Siponing...sucks.

The one I've got now is like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-42S-Electric-Fuel/dp/B000BWE4RC

41GpultmIIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Another thing I always have...

A bucket.

You can haul water, move dirt or try and catch leaking anti-freeze - and I've done all of the above.

fisher205

Explorer
Thank goodness I didn't see this list 40 years ago when I started taking off and going places. I proably wouldn.t have gone. I found a good water cooler, ( you can also use it to store in the top), sleeping bag, a tarp, full tank of gas and the will to go someplace were the essentials.

I think some people read these "must have" lists and think they can't even start going places without it. I started with an old '52 Ford pickup and later a '65 Comet to explore with. Yes I have progressed far from those and had some adventures getting them out of places they shouldn't have been. But it was part of learning.

It really is a good list but not having everything on the list shouldn't stop a person from going places.

Last edited:

motoz

Adventurer
I would go for dual batteries or a jump start box also early in the list if solo travel is a common thing.

And for me a fridge comes before a winch...at least if I get stuck I can enjoy the down time :)
In all honesty a winch is such a rarely used thing me in the desert southwest that the value award goes to the fridge first.

The other point I would like to make is to make sure the "nut behind the wheel" is on right. I do alot of solo outings with just my family or maybe 1 other rig. That means being willing to turn around vs likely breakage, making sure we know the weather & terrain in case things go pear shaped and not letting my ego get the best of me (driving tired, angry, fast).

Great post with the last paragraph being the most important. If you don't feel it don't force it !!!

scrubber3

Not really here
Thank goodness I didn't see this list 40 years ago when I started taking off and going places. I proably wouldn.t have gone. I found a good water cooler, ( you can also use it to store in the top), sleeping bag, a tarp, full tank of gas and the will to go someplace were the essentials.

I think some people read these "must have" lists and think they can't even start going places without it. I started with an old '52 Ford pickup and later a '65 Comet to explore with. Yes I have progressed far from those and had some adventures getting them out of places they shouldn't have been. But it was part of learning.

It really is a good list but not having everything on the list shouldn't stop a person from going places.

I completely agree.... So long as the safety needs are met that is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste