fitting starcraft to garage dolly

dizzyspots

Adventurer
SO...1995 Starcraft Sportstar pop up truck camper on my 04 Tundra
Using "harbor freight" style 4x8 trailer as a dolly for moving in and out of the garage:

Built a riser so the camper would clear the bed rails and roof

If I lower the camper to the height of the dolly (about 17" plus the riser (3 3/4") for 20 3/4" total) I cant remove the "tripod" portion of the Reico-Titans

If I raise the camper high enough to get the tripods off...too high to get it into the garage

Any solutions....??? Can I change the bottoms of the Reico's to a "foot" style instead of the tripod?

dizzyspots

Adventurer
thanks Malcolm..ill try that it is on solid asphalt...reico folks also suggested "rotating" the jacks into their storage hoops, if there was enough clearance...
not sure the asphalt will take 1000 pounds ( 250 each) on the 1.5 in dia legs..we'll see

dnellans

Adventurer
250lbs over nearly 2 inches (assuming its got a flat bottom not hollow) actually isn't that much pressure. if you're worried about it, throw down a 4x4 inch piece of the 3/4 ply under each one to spread the load out a little more, if the posts mangle the ply over time or they rot away it will have cost you all of 3 bucks. better than ruining the driveway.

ripperj

Explorer
To get my Alaskan low enough to get on its very low wheels( has to be really low to popup fully in the garage) I lower it as much as I can on the jacks to jack stands, them use an auto hydraulic jack to get it down all the way. I actually bolt the wheels to the bottom of the camper. Sounds more complicated than it is, but not something you would want to do every day

dizzyspots

Adventurer
Pivoting the jacks worked to free up the tripod legs...PS the published "center of gravity" isnt...dont ask how I found out...new center of gravity marked...balances well on the little trailer..really iffy on the reico jacks...but only need to do that a few times each year...and it fits in the garage...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior