FJ-40 on Craiglist

wesel123

Explorer
I emailed the Lady and this is the response I got back.

"I'm really sorry for this late reply but I've been very busy lately and away from a computer. The truck is in excellent running and body condition, no flaws on it or any other mechanical problems. It has a clear title and it will be signed and notarized on your name as soon as the payment will be completed. This was my husband's LC who passed away 4 months ago and it only brings me bad memories. I only hope to find a good home for it and to be taken care of like my husband did. I believe $3,300(not negotiable) with all shipping fee anywhere in the continental US included is more than a fair price.
I will tell you a few words about it. 1973 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser in immaculate condition with only 26,256 miles, VIN number: fj40142752, rust free, no scratch and hasn't been involved in any accident. Manual trans. The interior looks great (never smoked in). This truck needs nothing.
I want this transaction to go smoothly enough as I am caught in the middle of some very important events and have little time at my disposal. I already have tons of emails so I hope you understand that I need to sort them out. I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in buying the LC, to be sure that I don't waste my time with endless discussions. This way, I shall be assured of the serious intentions.
For more pictures click in the link below:
http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn136/corinaharrisona
So if you are interested please email me back and we'll go from there.
Corina Harrison"

Is this a scam???????? Im first on her list but I think I'm blinded by the deal??? Help Guys what do you think????

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I personally wouldn't pay for anything on craigslist without a face to face transaction. Where is the truck? Maybe suggest that you'll give a small deposit, fly out to see it and arrange your own shipping?

Every scammer on earth is on craigslist, I've bought and sold several things but I always require a face to face.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
SCAM, SCAM, SCAM

Exact same text they use in other craigslist scams. They change the vehicle info and go from there.

You'll ask to see it, they say its with the shipper
You'll ask to call, they will say their ears are damaged or they are out of country
They even hoax an auto-carrier website to fulfill the scam

Unless you can't touch it with your fingers, or have someone else touch it... don't give them a nickel.

If you do find a Cruiser that is out of state, ask an ExPo member to check it out for you, if there isn't an ExPo member, there is likely a PBB or Mud member close.

wesel123

Explorer
That's what I'm thinking. I've asked twice to be called back. Oh well I was hoping for that mythical $1 Porche. Thanks guys. If they do call back and its real then ill be needn someone to take a peak.

I just had to take a report from a poor unsuspecting chump that got taken for $2500 because the travel trailer he "bought" from craigslist was a scam! He told me that he thought something was fishy about the really good deal on the trailer. The person selling it made up some story about how busy he was and had some limited time constraint. Also used a fake website to make it look legit. This guy still sent the moneygram! Fool!

If you can't view it up close or have someone else view it up close and personal run away as fast as you can! My bet is that some circumstance will prevent you from looking at it personally...

Bjorn

cruiseroutfit

wesel123 said:
That's what I'm thinking. I've asked twice to be called back. Oh well I was hoping for that mythical $1 Porche. Thanks guys. If they do call back and its real then ill be needn someone to take a peak.

Your not understanding me here... I'm not guessing its a scam. I am telling you it is a scam. ;)

Again, that verbage is the EXACT same as that used in other known craigslist scams, including some local ones. Don't even entertain them with your emails.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport si with Automatic transmission it is in immaculate condition with 3,258 miles and have the VIN number: 1J8FF47WX7D207162, rust free, no scratch and hasn't been involved in any accident. The motor runs very well (4 CYLINDERS). The interior looks great. This car needs nothing, the title is clear, it is not a salvage one. I want this transaction to go smoothly enough as I am caught in the middle of some very important events and have little time at my disposal. I already have tons of emails so I hope you understand that I need to sort them out. The price is $3,200 THIS IS MY LAST PRICE. I will not negotiate the price. I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in
buying the car ,to be sure that I don't waste my time with endless discussions. This way, I shall be assured of the serious intentions

Another...

My 2005 Toyota Camry XLE V6 with automatic transmission it is in immaculate condition with 72000 miles and have the VIN number: 4t1bf30k95u099990 , rust free , no scratch and hasn't been involved in any accident. The motor runs very well(3.0L V6 PFI DOHC 24V).The interior looks great(NO SMOKING).This car needs nothing,the title is clear ,it is not a salvage one. I want this transaction to go smoothly enough as I am caught in the middle of some very important events and have little time at my disposal. I already have tones of emails so I hope you understand that I need to sort them out. The car is like new, in perfect conditions,accident free, no scratches, no special marks, no need for additional repairs what so ever. a genuine road runner ready to be yours, but only if you shall understand and you won't make me loose time as it has already happened to me. The price is $3,400.00 USD THIS IS MY LAST PRICE.I will not negotiate the price.I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in buying the car ,to be sure that I don't waste my time with endless discussions.This way,I shall be assured of the serious intentions .

Hundreds more just like it all over the net... http://www.419legal.org/internet-scams-general-discussion/23211-craigslist-scammer-5.html

Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Oh most defninitely agreed, 100% SCAM! Be very careful dealing with anyone like that, willing to ship, no photos, deal too good to be true, plus a sad story to get you emotionally involved. This can also go for those trying to buy your for sale vehicle. An acquaintance of mine had some one send him a "certified check" with instructions for how to ship the car and ended up losing over $1000 due to the routing number scam associated with the check. And did not sell the car. This scam is often run by Nigerians who post in papers and message boards all over the world and take tons of money. They are very skilled at it, and that ad sounds like their work.

On EDIT, as Cruiser posted as I was writing: The Nigerians and other foreign scammers often use English with poor grammar and / or spelling. I know, not everyone posting for sale on the 'net or in the paper was an English Major ( I was NOT ) but if the posting just does not read "right" to you, then the scam warning bells should go off for you. "I believe $3,300(not negotiable) with all shipping fee anywhere in the continental US included is more than a fair price." is a classic example of how thie writing is just not ringing true for me.

ANY internet dealings need to be handled with caution. If something is too good to be true, it usually is......

Last edited:

wesel123

Explorer
Yep its a scam. Go the email today and it reads as follows:

"As I told you in my first e-mail, I lost my husband in an accident 4 months ago and I was badly injured. I have problems with my hearing and most of the time have headaches. I'm in Santa Monica now for treatment. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with Reliable Movers http://www.reliable-movers.us so my presence isn't necessary. The truck and all the papers (title,etc..) are in their possession ready for delivery. The shipping company will hold the payment until the LC is delivered and inspected. You will have 3 days to test and inspect it. If it's not as described or if the title is not clear or whatever problem you may find and we can't work it out, the truck will be returned and your payment will be refunded. If you accept it, the papers will be signed and notorized, and they will release the funds to me.
Quite simple and fast. So if you want to purchase the LC please go to http://www.reliable-movers.us/search.php and follow the instructions."

I feel like such and idiot for even letting it go this far. Man does this piss me off. Anyway once again i love this forum!!!!!

KevX02

Observer
something like this happened to me. when we found my fj80 i was out of country and my wife dealt with everything as kind of a surprise to me. it was a great deal on an LX450 something like 5600k for the car... it was a scam but we knew who the LX belonged to and rather than going through autotrader where we had first seen the cruiser we called the individual selling it... he indeed was selling it. someone else had used his pictures and everything to try an sell it on a scam... so there is a good chance this cruiser is for sell but not near 3300$

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
wesel123 said:
Yep its a scam. Go the email today and it reads as follows:

"As I told you in my first e-mail, I lost my husband in an accident 4 months ago and I was badly injured. I have problems with my hearing and most of the time have headaches. I'm in Santa Monica now for treatment. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with Reliable Movers http://www.reliable-movers.us so my presence isn't necessary. The truck and all the papers (title,etc..) are in their possession ready for delivery. The shipping company will hold the payment until the LC is delivered and inspected. You will have 3 days to test and inspect it. If it's not as described or if the title is not clear or whatever problem you may find and we can't work it out, the truck will be returned and your payment will be refunded. If you accept it, the papers will be signed and notorized, and they will release the funds to me.
Quite simple and fast. So if you want to purchase the LC please go to http://www.reliable-movers.us/search.php and follow the instructions."

I feel like such and idiot for even letting it go this far. Man does this piss me off. Anyway once again i love this forum!!!!!

Don't be mad or frustrated, get even. String them along. Promise them that you want to buy it, but require certain things from them. For some ideas, go to http://www.419eater.com/. There are several good ideas and some really great stories of people scambaiting scammers. Could be some real fun.

cruiseroutfit

tdesanto said:
Don't be mad or frustrated, get even. String them along. Promise them that you want to buy it, but require certain things from them. For some ideas, go to http://www.419eater.com/. There are several good ideas and some really great stories of people scambaiting scammers. Could be some real fun.

I personally think the best defense is to simply ignore them... Report the ads to craigslist, eBay, and let them handle it. In some of the "scam the scammer" approaches more victims are drawn into the scheme and the only thing you are wasting is a couple of seconds of their time. They have all of their replies pre-written, they can scam a thousand people in an afternoon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior